Nightclubs and bars in Madrid

Most Viewed Nightlife in Madrid

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Bars: oh so many bars...

by littlebush Updated Oct 17, 2013

The highlight of the trip. With the most bars per head of any city in the world there's a lot of choice. Although most are tiny compared to a UK pub. Beer and wine comes in small glasses,a beer being around 2·70euro. But if u stick to the traditional bars rather than the modern bars u will get traditional tapas with your drink. The best street we found was cava baja. Here's where we went:

El tomas-a spit n sawdust place at the end of the street with a rougher crowd, hardly a B-) y seats playing decent dance music,my guess is it gets busy later on. The floor is full of shells from nuts that can be bought from a machine inside.

Alamana-made famous by hemmingway. It's a cafe more than a bar but with your beer u do get some tapas, chorizo o n bread. Very oldy feel.

La esquina el sur-on cava Jesus-this small dark bar is nice and offers a mini burger and crisps as tapas with the smallest beer I've seen.

El Sur - on Cava Torrecilla del Leal-The long narrow bar near our bnb-tapas in the form of peanuts is given at this friendly bar.

El Escaldon on Cava Baja -First bar we went in-tiny bar but friendly staff,we just sat at the bar n grabbed a beer.

La inqulina, next door to the bnb this place was busy all day n night. Bit bigger than most but nothing special I grabbed a small red wine in here.

Cines/Películas: Cinemas/Movies

by Redang Updated Apr 4, 2011

Maybe you have had a hard day during your visit and you want to relax watching a good film. Here is the website that gives you all the information you may need.

The web is in Spanish, but there are some films in other languages, just look for the cinemas saying V.O.

Key:
    - Estrenos = First shows
    - Películas = Films
    - Salas Madrid Capital = Venues in Madrid itself
    - Salas Madrid Provincia = Venues in other towns in the Comunidad de Madrid

• risse73's Profile Photo

Teatro Muñoz Seca: Baila Española Flamenco Dance Performance

by risse73 Updated Mar 7, 2011

I immensely enjoyed the Baila Española flamenco dance performance at the Teatro Muñoz Seca. It was an energetic dance performance that showcased both modern and traditional flamenco dance moves in a quaint theater venue in Madrid. This performance will leave you inspired by its dynamism and sheer intensity. Quite a display of dance prowess by performers enrobed with such appealing attires & accompanied by such powerful music!

You will not have any difficulty having a full view of the performance no matter where you sit. There are no stalls or balcony. This is essentially a one tier level theater on the first floor of an art deco building (it was not so obvious to me especially going to a night theater performance).

I love this quaint theater, and I especially love the fact that we got seated right on the very front (in the first row), so we had an awesome view of the performance/performers!

Enjoy the show!

Dress Code: See general tip regarding evening theater attire

• Theater Travel
    • Music

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Taberna Alhambra: Fun, Flirting and Food!

by garridogal Updated Nov 18, 2010

Thanks to her trusty IPhone my friend was able to find Alhambra. The online guide said it was a fun local spot, just a few blocks from our hotel, where the trick is to sit at the bar for the best time. We did just that and had a blast. It wasn't hard to engage with the staff because they were friendly and it certainly wasn't hard to flirt with the bartender because he was so cute!

Aside from the tapas we'd ordered we were also given an order of paella, some olives and an extra glass of wine. We had to escape for fear that we'd be flying home hungover, which is never pretty...

I highly recommend Alhambra and would gladly go back!

Dress Code: It's casual. Come as you are, unless you look like crap.

• Wine Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Tio Pepe sign Sol: Illuminated Madrid

by suvanki Updated Mar 19, 2010

As it was November, it soon was dark. Puerta de Sol was still buzzing as it had been earlier that afternoon when I first visited

The line for lottery tickets was as long, if not longer, the tempo of the buskers had moved up a notch, and on the streets off Sol, Christmas lights could be seen.

If anything, there seemed to be even more people out enjoying shopping, or just strolling around.

I enjoyed watching and listening to some great musicians, including a trio playing 2 open pianos, by hitting the strings with small paddles and another playing a double bass? outside El Corte Ingles. Luckily, I had some loose change to throw into their tip box - Please see my local customs tips for more pics and tips of these and other street musicians

Dress Code: Wrap up warm!, Because the Night can be cold. I was glad of my scarf and gloves. Most of the crowds that I saw were wrapped up for the weather. If travelling light, remember your Jersey, Girl!!!

Unlike Sheffield, Newcastle and other Northern English cities, the local youth of Madrid don't appear to go out at night in just their underwear - no Girls in their Summer Clothes in the middle of winter! Having said this - I didn't see any queues for the night clubs, so I could be mistaken!

Casino Gran Madrid

by Redang Updated Apr 18, 2009

Do you like gambling? Here is your place!

Entrance requirements

In order to access the Gaming Rooms, you must first identify yourself at our Reception Desk. If you are a European Union citizen, you must show your valid ID card, driving licence or passport. If you are not a European Union citizen, the identity document required is your valid passport or your spanish residence card. In both cases, the documents must be original. Photocopies are not accepted.

Dress Code: As a courtesy rule, Casino Gran Madrid has laid down certain general guidelines regarding the proper dress required to access the installations. From 14th October to 14th May, gentlemen are required to wear a jacket or blazer. A tie is not obligatory. In addition, entry is not allowed for those wearing sports clothes or footwear (shorts or similar, sneakers, sandals...)

• mollymoo0oo0's Profile Photo

El Tío Vinagre: Cosy, Laidback Bar/Cafe

by mollymoo0oo0 Updated Feb 18, 2009

El Tío Vinagre is tucked down a small side street in the multicultural Lavapies zone of the city. It is small but comfortable, and offers a range of infusions, copas, and tapas.

Staff are pleasant, and there is a small seating space at the back. Flyers with the latest info on music events, both locally and throughout Spain are also dotted around. Also often displaying photo exhibitions and selling a small selection of handmade jewellery :)

Reasonable prices - Mojitos from 4.50-8.00€, Tapas, mainly tostas (open-topped toasts) start from 3.50€ ...and are very tasty indeed (especially those with queso azul, blue cheese!!)

Dress Code: Be Yourself!!

• Redang's Profile Photo

Calle de las Huertas (Huertas Street)

by Redang Updated Nov 21, 2008

A lively street especially on the weekends.

In the city centre, the street goes from Paseo del Prado to Plaza del Angel.

Metro: Sol (lines 1, 2 and 3), Sevilla (line 2), Antón Martín (line 1), the closest, although once you are at Puerta del Sol, you can find it easily with your map or just asking.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

EL PENTA - VIA LACTEA: bars from the 80s

by mindcrime Updated Nov 3, 2008

There are some bars/pubs in the old part of the city that date back from the 80s when the cultural revolution started after Franco’s death, known as movida madrilina and it had to do with a creativity not only in nightlife but also in theater/movies/fashion. I visited a lot of them, usually the people are standing, chatiing or dancing with their drinks. The music playlist are hits from now and then.

2 of them are in Tribunal district:
    EL PENTA(pic 1) (c/ Palma, 4 tel:0034/914478460) was so crowded that I could hardly move but the people seemed to be in good mood.

VIA LACTEA(pic 2) (c/ Velarde, 18 tel:0034/914467591) was also good, with good drinks and relaxed people too. I don’t think I saw any tourist inside.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Cafe de Oriente: Pleasant spot to get out of the sun

by traceyspacey Written Aug 14, 2008

This over looks one of Madrid's prettiest squares, Plaza de Oriente which also over looks the Royal Palace. The Cafe de Oriente building was once part of a 17th century convent. We sat outside watching people go by and enjoyed an expresso. At 3 euros each is wasn't the cheapest, but t was good to get out of the sun. They have spray mists to cool you down, which works here. Unlike in Bangkok where it is too humid to be of any benefit.

I believe that The Cafe de Oriente stays open until 1.30am Monday to Thursday, Friday and Saturday to 2am.

Dress Code: No dress code

• Wine Tasting
    • Castles and Palaces

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Cafeeke: Brings memories back

by Nathalie_B Updated Jun 6, 2008

Cafeeke was introduced to me by Urzu. Ursula is a dearest friend with whom I spent wonderful 2 years of university courses and bar hopping in the Netherlands. Occasionally, we’d hop on a train and go to the neighboring Belgium to “sample” infinite brands of beers.
    When I visited Madrid, again, in February 2008 she surprised me with a small VT meeting in this tiny bar located close to Plaza Mayor.
    Cafeeke serves mostly Belgian beers, keeping some local brands for the locals. The atmosphere is very homey and the owner is nice and friendly.
    We started with Kwak that we both love so much, then proceeded to Duvel, then Leffe and then we had our favorite Palm that reminds of the student years so much, and then…. who remembers? Together with VT members Redang and MollyMo00o00 we spent quite a few hours in this small and cozy (or should I say Gezellige) bar.
    I wasn’t hungry, still digesting huge burger from Hard Rock Café, but Santi, Urzu, and Molly enjoyed casserole of mussels and complemented the chef.
    Time was flying and when we remembered to look at our watches it was already after 1am. Metro was already closed and Urzu and I had to march to my hotel.
    Once back to Madrid, I’ll do again, I will miss a train, a bus, or even a dinner, but I won’t miss Cafeeke.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

? Goya: Markets at night

by suvanki Written Feb 23, 2008

After hours of exploring Madrid, on the way back to my hotel at night, I decided to try and find the Palacio Deportes, as I was intending to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, play there the following night, but I eventually found I'd wandered off in the opposite direction.

I came across this small craft market, which I think was in the Goya area. There were lots of stalls selling scented candles, and different crafts. Outside the tents was a lifelike statue of a man pushing a brush, and nearby was a stone sculpture of a crucifix.

If anyone could tell me where these were, and a bit more about the statue and sculpture, I'd be very grateful!

Dress Code: needed to be wrapped up warm in Madrid at night in November!

Teatro en Madrid: Theatre in Madrid

by Redang Updated Feb 5, 2008

It is possible that when in Madrid, you find the opportunity to enjoy that musical or play you missed once or you were looking for for ages. Maybe this is your last chance.

The web is in Spanish, but I bet it won't be too difficult to find the right play/musical.

• Urzu's Profile Photo

Cafeeke: Belgium in Madrid

by Urzu Written Feb 4, 2008

A nice bar to go to in Madrid is the Cafeeke. Not really your typial Spanish bar, though! Here you will be able to taste many Belgian beers such as Leffe, Duvel, Kwack, Bush (this one is 12% alcohol, so be careful!), or Palm. They also have a menu of Belgian snacks, when I was there we had the mussels and they were very nice! The people are great (the owner is very nice), and the atmosphere is quite relaxed! The downstairs is for smokers and the upstairs for non-smokers. Also for all of you dog lovers, our furry friends are very welcome inside the bar! All of this makes Cafeeke a very nice option to do something different in Madrid.

Many Bars and Restaurants: La Latina Area

by Redang Written Feb 2, 2008

Nightlife in Madrid is something special. It doesn't matter if it's your first time in the city and you don't know which bar is good for a drink, You only have to visit an area and you will find dozens of good places.

Madrid Hotels

Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Hotel Asset Torrejon
Latest: Apr 5, 2014

Instant Answers: Madrid

Comments

Madrid Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Madrid locals.
Map of Madrid