Botin, Madrid

Botín's basement
    by MM212
  • Very dissappointed!

by Marinyc Written Jan 20, 2012

I was excited to go to the Oldest restaurant in the world, yet disappointed with my experience. I ordered a steak dish and asked for it to be made well done. Instead, I got a steak that was very rare, and had to be sent back twice. The following day, I left Spain and was sick for three days. I eventually went to the ER and was diagnosed with food poisoning. I will never return!!

• Singles

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Botin: Pleasantly surprised by service and great food

by Roadquill Written Aug 23, 2008

Entrance to Botin

Deemed the oldest restaurant in the world, and on every tourist book list of where to go, I was a bit apprehensive that the age old restaurant would have just turned out tourist fare. Not so, the place is immaculate, the service excellent, friendly, and the food was very good and the menu de dia was very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: The suckling pig was excellent.

• Wine Tasting

• Botin: please don't go

by yamilaboricua Updated Jun 25, 2008

I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED W/bOTIN. I used to go many years ago and it was considered the top for classical panish dining in an old world atmosphere. We went in January and food was so bad that I was sick all night long. The suckling pig is half cooked aand stored on an open display/showroom and obviously, full of bacterias.
    The ambiance and service was more of a tacky tourist spot, no locals, extremely expensive and nothing was fresh
    very disappointed!!!

Favorite Dish: none

• MM212's Profile Photo

Botin: Madrid's oldest restaurant

by MM212 Written Nov 28, 2007
    Bot��n's basement

Officially called El Sobrino de Botín, this restaurant is considered Madrid's oldest. It's been open since 1725 in Old Madrid, close to Plaza Mayor. The restaurant is on multiple levels: the ground floor room is beautiful with traditional Spanish decor, while the basement is vaulted and cavernous. I was concered that this would be a tourist trap, and the restaurant is popular with tourists, but was pleasantly surprised by the tasty food.

• Wine Tasting

• Botin: El Sobrino del Botin

by ger4444 Written Jun 28, 2007

This is the worlds oldest restaurant, dating back from 1725. it has an open kitchen with a heart and a oven for roasting. Everywere there are pots hanging. Goya had been dishwasher here and Hemmingway visited the place often.

Favorite Dish: Roast segovian lamb

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo

Botin, the oldest restaurant in the World: Sucking pigs with music

by jorgejuansanchez Written Aug 10, 2005

Tuna musicians ready to play in BOTIN

For excellent food in pleasant atmosphere, wander around Plaza Mayor and Arco de los Cuchilleros street, where you will hit upon dozens of restaurants. CASA BOTIN is the oldest in the world open without interruption according to the Guinness organization (you will even get a certificate stating the year 1725), and their speciality is sucking pig. For Spanish "tapas" try LUIS CANDELAS, a restaurant in a cave in front of BOTIN, where the waiters use traditional bandit clothes and reproductions of old weapons since Napoleon invasion of our country. During your dinner you will be delighted by the "TUNA", groups of young university students dressed like in the XVI century who will interpret romantic songs such as "Besame mucho" or "Clavelitos". Our King loves CASA LUCIO where the most delicious fried eggs in the word are prepared. For cheaper options go to CASA DOMINGO, close to the tomb of Goya, and order chicken with cider, or try the chain MUSEO DEL JAMON with tapas and tasty cured ham.

Favorite Dish: Sucking pigs

• LysDor's Profile Photo

Botin: Restaurant BOTIN

by LysDor Updated Mar 10, 2005

I had read beforehand that this was - according to the Guinness Book of Records - the oldest restaurant in the world, dating from 1725 and that Goya supposedly worked here before becoming a painter.

Of course we had to give it a try knowing that
    Hemingway used to be a frequent visitor too.

Favorite Dish: The place was full when we entered but the staff opened a new room for us and a few others that came in at the same time.
    A lot of tourists there indeed but don't let that put you off as locals and even the king itself still go there from time to time.

Try the cochinillo asado (roast suckling pig) or cordero asado (roast lamb).

• stevehallam's Profile Photo

Botin: The oldest restaurant in the world

by stevehallam Updated Feb 21, 2005

Oddly we went at lunchtime the restaraunt was busy and crowded. This just added to a great atmosphere. City types were obvioulsy dining with clients at some tables, while well off middle age women were gossiping at others.
    this place had so much atmosphere - It's built into the origanal city walls of Madrid - and displays a Guiness World Record certifiacte as the oldest rstaurant in the world.
    The food is marvellous and thebuilding unique (lots of rooms and corridors)

Favorite Dish: I had the Roast Suckling Pig - you could see the huge traditional ovens where the meat was being roasted along with the vegetables
    The Sangria my wife was drinking was the best she had ever tasted.
    The Carlos V Brandy I finished with was absolutely huge!
    would imagine in the evening you would have to book to get in here - but we were lucky at lunch time

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo

Casa Botin: One of Hemingway's Favorites

by mesoblonda Written Mar 30, 2004

Roast suckling pigs hot out of the cast iron oven

RESERVATIONS ARE A MUST!!!

Known for it's roasted suckling pig and lamb, Casa Botin is also acknowledged by the Guinness Book of Records as being the earliest restaurant, opened in 1725.

For you literary buffs, this famous dining spot was a haunt of Hemingway's and Goya supposedly worked here before becoming a painter.

"Tuna's", similar to mariachis, serenaded us all and were very impressive. Traditional music with great senses of humor.

Favorite Dish: The filet mignon.

The roast suckling pig seemed to me nothing but skin, fat and minimal meat. I would not order it again.

Dessert was wonderful...and where can you buy a glass of nice port for $2.85 Euro? Here!

• Botin: Disappointing experience

by SGUK Written Sep 21, 2003

We were disappointed with our one visit to Botin. The decor was very basic, a nearby diner was smoking and the service was of the "rush you through as quickly as possible, we have people waiting" variety. We had the sucking pig as our main course (I can't remember the starters, so they weren't anything special) and our party of three each had part of one side of a piglet, which meant that the one who had the middle section had mainly crackling and fat and not much meat. It was well cooked but accompanied only by two small pieces of not very nice potato. The waiter hovered close by and snatched plates away as soon as each person had finished rather than waiting for the whole group to be ready, which was rude. We didn't have anything more and were pleased to leave. My husband had indigestion most of the next day.

• Seniors

• acemj's Profile Photo

Botin: World's Oldest Restaurant

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

Talk about historical ambience! According to the Guinness Book of Records, this is the oldest restaurant in the world dating from 1725. Hemingway loved it and unlike many of the other restaurants on this street that advertise with signs proclaiming "Hemingway Never Ate Here" this place isn't ashamed of their former customer. It's a bit touristy, but the four level interior and the good food make it worthwhile.

Favorite Dish: Cochinillo Asado, which is roast suckling pig, is a signature dish at Botin and I can see why. It's delicious.

". . . I would rather dine on suckling pig at Botin's that sit and think of casualties my friends have suffered." - Ernest Hemingway, from Death in the Afternoon (end of Chapter 10).

• Patricialuv's Profile Photo

El botin: The oldest restaurant in the world!

by Patricialuv Written Mar 3, 2003

el botin

This restaurant is considered by the book of guiness as the oldest restaurant still in service today. It has approx. four floors. This restaurant was set back in 1725 approx. and is nicely decorated.

Favorite Dish: I ordered veal, but you can order anything from pork, to steak, to shrimp and salmon. They have a wide selection.

• sleepingwolf's Profile Photo

Botin: Go Old! Find the Caves!

by sleepingwolf Written Dec 7, 2002

Oldest Restaurant in the World

Botin is uniquely Madrid. Although I found it in a tourist book and was seated near tourists, two from Argentina and two from the US, it was an expereince I will not soon forget. It si also the oldest known restaurant in the world according to Guinness. We were eating very early by Madrid statndards, but were cold and hungry for wandering through the packed Plaza mayor full of Christmas decoration vendors, a nativity scene viewers. It was only about 9pm when we were seated down in a room with three tables, where an old stone oven was used. The charred stone, was cover by wall tapestery and small lights were added with shades made of labels from the "house wine". We dined on the specialty of roast lamb and pig. The whole thing is cooked large earthen ware cooking pans in an oven not disimilar to the one we where seaten in. The house wine was very nice, and we made good friends of our close neighbors.

Favorite Dish: The lamb was delightful. Its was as good, if not better than any rack of lamb disk I have tasted at a "wfite glove" restaurant in the US. the presentation is very rustic, but the food quality is top notched. I also recomend the garlic soup, except for vampires, of course.

• Nev57's Profile Photo

Botin: Botin

by Nev57 Written Aug 25, 2002

According to the Guiness Book of World Records, it's the oldest restaurant in the world. The cooking is still done in the original oven, which dates from 1725. The furniture is traditional Spanish, very heavy and very old. The timber steps leading to the upstairs dining areas have been scalloped by centuries of diners and staff.

This is the restaurant where Jake Barnes, hero of The Sun Also Rises, plays his last scene; Hemingway gave the place considerable attention in Death in the Afternoon as well.

Favorite Dish: Roast baby lamb, cooked whole in a claypot and carved at your table.

• Resaurante Botin, We had a lil...

by divadsirrah Written Aug 25, 2002

Resaurante Botin, We had a lil time finding it, relying on the memory of a couple who had eaten there over 20 years ago. We found it after wandering around a bit.
    Botin is the worlds oldest continually operating restaurant according to the Guiness Book of world records. It was the favorite dinning establishment of Ernest Hemmingway, when he was in Madrid.

Favorite Dish: Roast Baby Lamb, the melon with ham and the delicious Iberian assortment

Instant Answers: Madrid

Comments

Hotels Near Botin
4.0 out of 5 stars