Places to eat in Madrid

Most Viewed Restaurants in Madrid

• La Tasca de Figueroa: A good Surprise!

by frampton92 Written Jun 17, 2014

It was recommended by some friends who visit the restaurant a couple of months ago.

A Little bit noisy but as regular in Spanish restaurants….Food was great, we tried different dishes as first course and had a each one a second course. That way we could try different things all of us. Great salads (specially the one with scallops). I recommend the risotto and the beef “chuleta”, they were both great.

As desert they recommended us the Cheese Cake and although not in NY, i must recognise it’s been one of the best I have ever tasted.

We also had red wine, and we paid around 50 US$ each for the whole meal and 3 bottles of wine….

Favorite Dish: Risotto -> Great taste, really surpising.

Chuleta --> Just a great piece of meat!!!!

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Zen Central: Zensational Restaurant

by spocklogic Written May 26, 2014

The name of this Asian restaurant is appropriate and there is peace and harmony with the decor inside. It is simple and thoughtfully arranged and the sound of trickling waterfalls inspires contemplation. The menu reflects this philosophy and doesn't try to overwhelm you with choices. I ate here twice (once for lunch and once for dinner) and both times I was most pleased. The service is quick and the food delicious. The only detractor is the hovering staff. This coupled with the open layout gives you the feeling the waiter/waitress is ready to clear your dish the moment you finish. This doesn't bother me much as I am usually alone when I travel and prefer the quick service. With company this could be annoying. I can recommend this restaurant with that caveat. If Japanese cuisine is to your liking, there is another place at 50 Jorge Juan called Tao. The menu here is too busy and the staff does not speak English, but it is a little less expensive. The Miso soup and Tempura from the Japanese portion of the menu was good. Overall, I rather prefer Zen Central over Tao for ambiance. It is Zensational! If you want to try Tao as well I include a scan of their card here as well (two sides).

Favorite Dish: Miso soup and Tempura (always my favorite in Japanese cuisine)

Real Cafe Bernabeu: Real Madrid and food

by gwened Updated Mar 1, 2014

the wonderful experience of watching my favorite soccer/football team and great Castiliann food at Cafe Bernabeu at the stadium Santiago Bernabeu with the best views in the stadium lol!!!
    and of course many friends.

you need to be here to experience it.

Favorite Dish: tapas, menu of the day, mix platters, beer mahou, coffee the works

view from Cafe to Stadium Santiago Bernabeu with other non VT travelers just for the show at Real Cafe Bernabeu side on concha espina of Real Cafe Bernabeu from across the st to Real Cafe Bernabeu

Centro Cubano -closed: The best Cuban in Europe

by gwened Updated Dec 6, 2013

his is the oldest Cuban restaurant in Europe, here in Madrid same address since 1967
    the pinnacle of Cuban food done by Cubans, for generations to generations, you wont go wrong with the mojitos here.
    unfortunately the resto has closed down in 2011 and some member of the family is trying to open a new version on Ortega y Gasset street.

THIS LOCATION IS CLOSED

Favorite Dish: ropa vieja(old clothes or shredded beef) and black beans or rabo encendido, bull oxtails in spicy sauce , all is traditional Cuban food done by natives

dining room Centro Cubano entrance hall Centro Cubano

• planxty's Profile Photo

La Casa del Abuelo: Brilliant, despite the hype.

by planxty Written Dec 3, 2013

I am always a little uneasy about frequenting places that are mentioned in guidebooks for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it has been my experience that some places, having "secured their position" in one or more of them (there is one very well-known name in the travel guide industry which I will not name here but everyone knows to which this applies particularly) who then simply stop trying. They reckon they have made it and don't need to bother too much, bump the prices up and just live off their "rep". The second problem is that everyone is reading the same guidebooks so you go to a supposedly authentic local restaurant to find it is full of travellers with the same guidebooks sitting on the table beside them and not a local to be seen.

I hope the reader will have already seen my tips on the excellent Vina P Taberna and the equally excellent Mercado de San Miguel where I had eaten considerable amounts that evening in what I was coming to dub "The Night of a Thousand Tapas". It really was getting that serious, delightful as it was. When I was taken to the Casa del Abuelo for even more food I was wondering where I was actually going to put it! However, off we went and found the delightful little place a very short walk from the Plaza del Sol.

Firstly, a technical point. La Casa del Abuelo is not actually one bar but two, situated on opposite sides of a pedestrianised street. It is probably just as well that it is pedestrianised as the toilets are in the slightly larger bar as you walk up from Plaza del Sol so you may have to walk across the street to use them which could be tricky if you have been enjoying some of the excellent local wine or beer. We chose the smaller bar on the left which was not so much small as tiny as I hope the image indicates. Yes, it was a Monday evening on a very chilly November evening but the two of us constituted the entire clientele with an elderly (I am not being unkind here) barman, who proved to be an absolute delight. In fairness, the marginally larger sister bar across the road wasn't much busier.

If you do decide to visit here, you will be stepping in famous footsteps. Apparently, Andy Warhol was a regular here. I could paraphrase or plagiarise the excellent website attached at this point but I do not intend to regarding the whole long and interesting history of this establishment. I do recommend the site (in English) which explains why prawns are served here despite Abuelo having started as a montaditos (sandwich) restaurant. I'll give you a clue, it is to do with the Spanish Civil War.

I may be totally mistaken in this as I frequently am, but in my short time in Madrid I formed the impression that whilst most tapas bars do most things, some are known for one particular type of tapa. The tapa of choice here, as mentioned even on the tissues provided and above, is prawn. Prawn served apparently in exactly the same way it has been since the place was opened in 1906, another thing proudly proclaimed on the tissue.

Casa del Abuelo is predominantly a standing only place, although 20 people standing in here would constitute a crush, as I hope the images show. There were, however a couple, and I mean two, high stools which we took and sat at one of the small high marble topped tables which are obviously designed for glasses rather than plates. This was no problem for the charming barman, however, who did no more than find a low stool and used it as a table. Top man. The results of his labours you can see in one of the images.

My friend had ordered both the Gambas al Ajillo (prawns in garlic) and a plate of the freshly cut ham. The food is actually brought across the road from the other place as there is not enough room for a kitchen here but was still sizzling hot as you can see in this video. The ham was very skillfully hand cut as you can see in this video. It was a delight to watch this man at work, demonstrating a skill that he has obviously practiced for years and which generations of his forebears have practiced for centuries. I really did feel like I was experiencing a bit of old Spanish culture. Never mind the theatre, the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating and the eating was extremely tasty.

Although I was drinking beer I did try a little of my friend's house red wine which was excellent. Well, there I was, completely full of of wonderful food but it wasn't over yet, the finale was still to come. My friend insisted we had Banderillas de Langostinas which are effectively battered and deep-fried langoustine pieces on skewers and served with a delicious salsa (sauce). I hope the image does it credit. Well, full as I understandably was, I just had to finish my portion of this final delicacy and I have to say they were magnificent. Beautifully succulent and with a totally crisp and dry batter, it was a delight to dip them into the slightly spicy, but not hot, salsa. A wonderful ending to a great evening.

Despite the fact that this is a bit of a guidebook favourite, it still manages to maintain standards and serve wonderful food and drink. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Favorite Dish: It is so difficult to choose. The garlic prawns were gorgeous as was the hand-cut ham and bothe recommended but, if pressed to pick a favourite it would have to be the Banderillas de Langostinas. the best really was kept till last.

Food, Casa del Abuelo, Madrid, Spain. Casa del Abuelo, Madrid, Spain. Food, Casa del Abuelo, Madrid, Spain. Casa del Abuelo, Madrid, Spain. Food, Casa del Abuelo, Madrid, Spain.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Vina P Taberna.: A wonderful introduction.

by planxty Written Dec 2, 2013

On my first night in Madrid and literally a few hours after I had landed, a friend sait that we should go downtown for something to eat and raved about several places that we should try. I was a little taken aback by the concept of "several" places to go for dinner but all was soon to become apparent and this was to be my introduction to the eating concept of tapas, hence the title of this tip.

I should say that I had an idea of tapas and there was a time in London in the 1990's when every third restaurant was a tapas bar, usually an excuse for serving tiny portions of average food at hugely inflated prices purely because it was the trendy thing and very much "this years fashion". Having had proper tapas in proper Spanish bars in the capital city, I am now totally sold on the idea, it suits me down to the ground. Whilst I am quite happy with the occasional huge meal I am much happier "grazing", tending to the concept of eating little and often and this style of dining is ideal for me. I love the idea of wandering from bar to bar and having a snack here and a snack there. I deal with the whole tapas eating concept in another tip on this page.

My friend insisted that I must try the pimientos, basically small green peppers served hot and they were completely delicious. I had been warned that this was somewhat gastronomic Russian roulette as, whilst the majority of the peppers are prety mild, there is the occasional rogue one that will blow your head off with the heat. Although that would not have been a problem for me as I like hot food, I didn't actually encounter one.

Not content with that my friend also insisted on a tapa of squid which came with a sizeable potato on the top and the whole issue smothered in paprika. Again, this was delectable. The food was prepared in a semi-open kitchen which is always a good sign in my book.

There is a seating area in the bar but we opted to stand at the bar eating and drinking in the traditional manner. The seating area was quite secluded, being seperated from the hoi polloi like us by large screens. Just a small point here if you are watching the pennies, you will generally be charged more for sitting at a table and being served than you will for standing at the bar and eating / drinking. Makes sense I suppose.

The staff here were efficient and friendly with English spoken and credit cards are accepted. Although early week (Monday) in late November it was busy enough and is obviously popular with locals as we appeared to be the only foreigners in there. Certainly, you can eat food of similar quality cheaper elsewhere but this is right in the heart of town and is certainly worth the extra few cents for the ambience and service.

Recommended.

Note. The attached website appears to only be available in Spanish.

Favorite Dish: The squid was very good but my vote for favourite dish would have to be the pimientos.

Vina P Taberna, Madrid, Spain. Vina P Taberna, Madrid, Spain. Vina P Taberna, Madrid, Spain. Pimientos, Vina P Taberna, Madrid, Spain. Squid, Vina P Taberna, Madrid, Spain.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Tapas: Tapas

by littlebush Written Oct 8, 2013

Casa Lucio on cava baja. We ended up here by mistake. We had booked for casa lucas next door but they shared the same address and we screwed up. Service was rude and incredibly rushed trying to take our plates before we had finished. We had croquettes, pork cheek and steak. The steak was rare instead of medium but still pretty good. Not good value for money though as it was 64 Euro in total incl a bottle red.

Casa Lucas on cava baja. Went in here for lunch. Good friendly service. We had 5 tapas dishes. Croquettes, tuna, sausage mixed with scrambled egg, pork and onion, spinach....all of these on bread. Plus a small glass of red each. Was 40 Euro.

Lachulapa restaurant-shut service. We had tapas. A mix of some weird stuff. The best was the heuvo con patatas y Chicago which we didn't actually order. It was fried egg, potatoes and little sausage. Bill was 38 Euro incl two beers. Not great.

• adema29's Profile Photo

Il Sorriso: Awful !

by adema29 Written Apr 14, 2013

When travelling abroad, we use to dine at Italian restaurants because we like their food - always fresh and tasty. It was not the case for "Il Sorriso". It is the worst Italian restaurant we have ever been to!
    Lacking atmosphere, with spotted table clothes, poor service and an uneatable food!
    We left the place with a bitter taste that had nothing to do with the expected "sorriso"(smile)

• Alex9270's Profile Photo

Tapas44: Don't waste your money, everything's bad here!

by Alex9270 Written Feb 28, 2013

This a restaurant born to take advantages from tourists.
    Yes, because everything is very poor level, locals don't eat there.
    I have been there twice and unfortunately both times turned to be a nightmare.

And these are the reasons:
    1. Huge waiting time (40 minutes).
    2. Ridicously small portions of every dish you order.
    3. Very bad food (seems to be taken from a can, warmed inside a microwave)
    4. Expensive prices compared to what you get
    5. Waiter not courteous, in a hurry

Please don't eat there if you don't want to regret your time in Madrid!!!

Zen Market: Asia in Madrid ,Real Madrid

by gwened Written Feb 24, 2013

This is the new upscale Asian restaurant at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium of Real Madrid FC. The concept comes in handy with the demands of today, but the ambiance is real, with the best from the region,and the food is terrific.
    open 8h30 to 02h
    I like it even if not my favorite food, but will come back for a more technical taste, hehehe this time it was at the bar.

Favorite Dish: fried rice with shrimps, and white whine from Rueda ,just there for a quick view of the place as it is new in the stadium.

ent Zen Market restaurant

• Redang's Profile Photo

Posada de la Villa: Great Local Food

by Redang Updated Jan 15, 2013

An excellent place to enjoy typical "comida madrileña" (food from Madrid).

Favorite Dish: Posada de la Villa means City Inn, and it was built in 1.642, and it was a lodge until 1.980. In 1.982, it was reopened as a restaurant.

Posada de la Villa (Madrid, Espa��a/Spain) Posada de la Villa (Madrid, Espa��a/Spain)

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Cerveceria 100 Montaditos: Another deli chain not to be missed

by muratkorman Updated Dec 23, 2012

Just like Museo del Jamon, this deli chain is all around Madrid with reasonable appetizers and beer. For a few Euros, you can enjoy some ham sandwiches and beer. In between our museum visits, we always had something to bite in this deli chain. You just order the food and wait for your name to be announced for getting your order.

Favorite Dish: Try the sandwiches...

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Chocolateria Valor: Chocolateria Valor

by GentleSpirit Written Sep 29, 2012

Here you can engage in your love for chocolate. They have assorted types of bars, bonbons etc of all different flavors. good place to take a date:) The place is always crowded and with good reason, the chocolate is excellent (I did sacrifice and try some). Great place to sit down and have a cup of chocolate, get the churros and just savor!

Favorite Dish: chocolate con churros- not recommended if you are on a diet but so delicious its worth breaking any diet for:)

• gwened's Profile Photo

Vinea: wine bar at Barajas airport

by gwened Written Sep 22, 2012

An effort from the Torres wine family and a very good wine bar right at Terminal 4 of Barajas, Madrid airport.
    This is the second time eat here,and finally a photo, nice place, friendly service, they remember what you like and order lol!

nice relaxed ambiance for getting early to the airport which comes handy nowdays. You have a bar counter, and a sitting table space across it.

recommend it to spend your time before your flight, a nice excuse to be there early.

you have them in Terminal 4 at
    Terminal T4. Floor 1. Departures. Boarding Area J

and Terminal 4S at
    Terminal T4S. Floor 1. Departures. Boarding Area S

Favorite Dish: montaditos of chorizo mini sandwiches, potato omelettes, good cruzcampo beer ,and great coffee with milk or expresso.

counter wine bar at Vinea sitting eating area across counter bar at T4

Cerveceria Cruz Blanca: nice Castilian and drinks

by gwened Updated Sep 22, 2012

A surprising find walking on on calle doctor Esquerdo with a friend and by chance we decided to come in here. The experience was superb. Great service ,friendly and fast, nice decorations, and the food was excellent. Near Manuel Becerra and Alcala Str

Later , came back to the office to work as was there on business, and the collegues there suggested to come here as well in the evening and told them already been ::) we went to try another one lol!!!

Came back to Madrid and saw it again by menendez pelayo just across from Retiro park, is a chain, very nice all over, its becoming my favorite hangout, huge merluza fish with almonds and garlic, with great coffee and mahou beers of Madrid superb. See the webpage for locations all over Madrid and elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: codfish dishes, croquettes of ham, omelette of potatos and chorizos; great beer and coffee all very nice to start the day lol!!!

merluza fish platter huge with mahou Madrid beers fantastic!!!

Cerveceria Cruz Blanca at menendez pelayo dining room wall deco at dr esquerdo resto ceiling crus blanca at dr esquerdo entrance to cruz blanca menendez pelayo at night menendez pelayo 47

Madrid Hotels

Latest: May 27, 2014
Hotel Asset Torrejon
Latest: Jun 26, 2014

Instant Answers: Madrid

Comments

Madrid Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Madrid locals.
Map of Madrid