Bullfighting, Madrid

the monumental in my times there
  • front of monumental Las Ventas off Calle Alcala
    front of monumental Las Ventas off Calle...
    by gwened
  • going around left side to museum Taurino in back
    going around left side to museum Taurino...
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Las Ventas monumental

by gwened Updated Feb 23, 2013

front of monumental Las Ventas off Calle Alcala

it is monumental and a great cultural tradition even with controversies in our modern world, this is Spain,and at Madrid you see the best of it. The biggest show is for the feast of San Isidro, Madrid patron saint in May each year.
    It has served as concert venues, and tennis matches for the Davis Cup team etc. an icon in Madrid and a must see
    it was inaugurated on June 17, 1931. It has a seating capacity of 25,000 and is regarded as the home of bullfighting in Spain. YES!
    it has a wonderful bulls or museo taurino in the back,great this is the city show on it

and I used to lived two metro stops from it, for four years !love it, and each time in the city stops by here lol!!!

Update, the latest is the city approve to have the roof covered so very soon you will have the arena with a roof ,which will make it more profitable and hold concerts etc no matter the weather. It will have 110 meters in diameter and light aluminum build in France actually Strasbourg,and will arrive to Madrid by trailers to assembled the biggest metallic structure dismantled in the world !!!

• Festivals

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Bullfighting ring

by IreneMcKay Written Jan 1, 2012

Bull fighting statue and stadium.

It was not bullfighting season and to be honest I would not want to see a bullfight even if it was, but we did go to look at the bullfighting ring as I had heard there were some interesting statues there. There were three bull fighter statues and a wall sculpture of bulls being led to the ring. The bull fighting arena was a beautiful building with lovely tiles. It was possible to go inside the arena on a tour but we did not do this. There was also a bullfighting museum up the back. Metro: Ventas. Interesting even if you are not into bull fighting.

• Photography

• STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

Not a fan myself but an option in Madrid

by STEFZAMM Updated May 21, 2011

We choose anything over bullfights...

Personally I am not a fan of bullfighting and to be honest I am completely against it. This, however is a Spanish Tradition and for those who wish to see it, it is also available in Madrid. Check with your hotel receptionist and you will get endless leaflets with information and details on how to see one of these shows.

LAS VENTAS - Rejones.

Rejoneador.

Most tourists will never see a Corrida de Rejones. This is a horse mounted bullfight by a Rejoneador.
    What is very special is the schooling or dressage of the horses, often from Andalusia, to approach in a gallop the attacking bull and avoid his horns. The rider has to demonstrate all his skill in controlling his horse and the bull. It’s a dangerous vaulting and pirouetting imposing a perfect coordination between rider and horse. These horses wear no caparison. All the art of rider and horse is in sidestepping.
    The Rejoneo has like classic bullfighting three stages. First a stab of a long lance, then harpoon pointed sticks and finally killing with a sword shaped into a lance.
    The Rejoneador uses at least 4 horses, perfectly schooled, one for each stage.
    This makes Rejones much more expensive than bullfighting on foot. The number of Rejoneadors is small in comparison with the number of Matadors so that there are few Corridas de Rejones to be seen at Las Ventas or elsewhere.

During the period of the Feria di San Isidro, a religious feast on May 15th, there is a most important bullfighting festival. This year from 10/05 - 02/06/2011. Each day there are corridas but there are only 3 "rejon" on 21/05 with the very famous Hermoso de Mendoza, on 28/05 and 5/06. Las Ventas is full booked.

LAS VENTAS - Toro Bravo.

by breughel Updated Apr 9, 2011

Las Ventas - Plaza de toros.

For a good bullfight you need a good matador and a "good" bull. The Spaniards say Toro Bravo, i.e. a brave bull. This year there were a number of critics in the Spanish press about the physical fitness and bravery of the bulls. Many were considered as "invalidos" and there were protests from the public. It seems there are problems in the ganaderias with breeding good fighting bulls. They are often very heavy, 550 kg and more, but on weak legs.

This year the number of corridas in Spain seems to be reduced by 20%, not because of the "antitaurinas" movements, but because the economical crisis has reduced the budgets of all the smaller towns who use to organize corridas at the occasion of the patron saint festivities. For towns with less than 10.000 inhabitants budgets of about 50.000 € became too heavy. (info from "El Pais").

WARNING: Bullfighting is an old tradition of Spain. Other countries have other traditions, sometimes not less cruel than bullfighting.
    Tourists, who love animals, should, in my opinion, not go to a corrida. The bull is always killed after 20 minutes of fight and suffering; there is blood everywhere.

During the period of the Feria di San Isidro, a religious feast on May 15th, there is a most important bullfighting festival. This year from 10/05 - 02/06/2011. Eah day there are corridas.

• breughel's Profile Photo

LAS VENTAS - Architecture and tradition.

Las Ventas.

The two major Plazas de Toros in Spain are Las Ventas in Madrid and La Maestranza in Sevilla. Even if you don't like bullfighting Las Ventas is an architectural monument to be visited.
    That's what I did on a sunny morning of May. This is the period of the Feria di San Isidro, a mix of a religious feast on May 15th and a most important bullfighting festival.
    This year from 10/05 - 02/06/2011. Eah day there are corridas.
    Las Ventas is full booked during these 3 weeks but I could follow some corridas on the Spanish television. I observed that King Juan Carlos I assisted to some of them.

The budget for a corrida afternoon (two hours with 3 toreros and their teams, 6 bulls) approaches 180.000 € from what I read in the Spanish press.

The Spanish Television International (TVE Internacional) has a program about bullfighting called "Tendido Cero". Only for aficionados!

• Festivals

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

What to do on a Holiday?

by grandmaR Written Sep 20, 2009

Bull Ring from the outside

I wrote my mother that Saturday, July 18, 1964 was a National Holiday -- of Spain's independence and nothing "marches". So. We went on a city tour and to the Prado and then went to the hotel and had a nap. My letter continued...

At 5:30 we aroused and packed up again and went to a bullfight. Although I had said I wasn't interested in doing that, it was a holiday and nothing else was open. My sister fed niece dinner there. My niece really liked the bullfight, although she somewhat mistook the bull - pointing and saying "See kitty". She was a great attraction at the bullfight (admiring attention) and has been very good.

My sister had previously been to a bullfight in Mexico with her husband. My mother's comment was that she didn't think I was going to go to a bullfight but actually I went to two of them in Spain - this one in Madrid, and one in Valencia with my husband. I thought it was interesting. I had read about it beforehand so I know what to expect and blood doesn't particularly squick me out.

I don't know what we paid for our tickets, but today (2009) the cheapest tickets in the sun would be 8.00-18.00 €

• Women's Travel

No "toreador" in Spain.

by breughel Written Jul 5, 2009

Carmen's

A "toreador" does not exist in Spain.
    The term was used for the famous opera "Carmen" from Bizet.

"Toreador, en garde, Toreador, Toreador!
    Et songe bien, oui, songe en combattant
    Qu'un oeil noir te regarde,
    Et que l'amour t'attend,
    Toreador, L'amour t'attend!"

The correct word is Torero or Matador or Espada.

• breughel's Profile Photo

LAS VENTAS - Picador training.

by breughel Written Jul 5, 2009

Las Ventas - Picador training.

When visiting Las Ventas from the outside I could enter a courtyard where Picadores were training with their heavy horses.
    With their lances they stab the muscles of the bull's neck. The public does not like a Picador who is lancing too much because the bull will loose its strength. Picadores are often whistled at.
    Till 1928 the horses were not protected as now with a caparison. But even now horse and picador are sometimes lift up and turned over by the charge of the half ton bull!
    There are broken ribs or legs when the picador falls under his horse.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

A brutal "sport" (Part 2)

by Donna_in_India Updated Oct 31, 2008

Matadors Entering The Ring

(Continued from previous)

“One of the matadors waved his cape at the bull and the bull kind of trotted over to him. It would be several minutes before the tone changed. I was busy looking around and taking pictures when I looked at the bull and suddenly realized that he had blood by his shoulder blades – not a lot but some. A man on a horse (which was covered in some type of armor) had pierced the bull with a knife/sword. The matadors stuck knives that were hidden in their capes into the bull. And then matadors took 2 large knives and plunged them into the bull. I think they did this 2 or 3 times. It seemed to go on forever. By now I was crying and ready to throw up. The bull was making some awful noises and his tongue was hanging out of his mouth. It was the most horrible and cruel thing I have ever witnessed. This was no sport – they taunted and tormented a helpless animal. I was just devastated as the poor bull was down on 2 legs and a cart was brought in – presumably to take away the dead bull. I didn’t stay to see what happened next. The season for bullfighting is several months long and 6-8 bulls are killed each weekly bullfight. I just can’t see how this is allowed to go on."

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

A brutal "sport" (Part 1)

by Donna_in_India Updated Oct 31, 2008

I wished I had listened to the traveler who warned me against going to to a bullfight. I had never been to one before (or even seen one) so I had no idea what to expect. (I am also an avid animal lover.) It was an absolutely awful experience. I am not going to get into anything political. I only hope that my story will persuade someone not to support this brutal "sport". I am incuding the actual entry from my journal (in 2 parts since it's a little long).

“We sat outside in the sun enjoying a coffee before getting on the Metro to Las Ventas bullring for the bullfight. The Metro, which was really dirty, was packed. Obviously a lot of people were going to the bullfight. We arrived at Las Ventas not quite sure what to expect. We found our seats which were front row in the shade. The seats in a bullring are divided into 2 sections – in the shade and in the sun. The seats in the sun are less expensive – but for a 6 p.m. bullfight the sun really goes down within the first 30 minutes anyway. Also the lower you are in the ring, the more expensive the seats. We didn’t really know where our seats were other then in the shade when we ordered them but apparently were given these “great” seats because the bulls were young. I did notice that most of the people in the front row seats were foreigners and in fact, the groups of people on both sides of us were American. I’m sure that says something about this whole experience. With great ceremony, a band started to play, men on horses and the matadors all entered the ring. Everyone bowed at the upper area reserved for the king (or other VIPs). The matadors picked up their capes (which by the way were pink, not red). A couple of matadors stayed in the ring and the first bull entered. He looked as though he really wasn’t sure what to do – he actually just stood in place for a few seconds.” (Continued)

• seasonedveteran's Profile Photo

Memorable, etched in my Memory. I liked it.

by seasonedveteran Written Mar 18, 2008

Wow. There was quite a commotion outside before it started. I think tourists only took pictures outside but dared not enter, especially since it was The Rookies Night, so all the bull fighters were young guys, inexperienced. Costly in the bull fighting industry. The bulls bled so much....

First, the music and procession occurs. very nice.
    Then the first bull roars out of the gates! Angry and aggressive. The five or six mini bull fighters prance around and hide mostly behind the guards surrounding the stadium. I heard somebody once got killed seated near the grounds, so sit back.
    One of the bull fighters assistants got tossed like speghetti to the ground 5 feet ahead!! Luckily the other guys came to the rescue and distracted it. oooh!
    Thend the first torture is the mounted Cowboy prodding it.
    Then the flying troops jump and stab the bulls back somehow not running into the horns, narrowly.
    Finally the bull fighter himself, caviler-like, bold, courageously and with eloquence like an art form entertains the crowd, until striking the killer blow with the samuri sword. Hope you liked my account of the evening.

• Orchid's Profile Photo

Death in The Afternoon

by Orchid Written Oct 13, 2007

A sunny afternoon at the bull fights. We chose the cheap seats in the sun. There were 6 bulls to be despatched so we settled in for the afternoon. The bulls enter all revved up and ready to go, but the softening up process starts immediately. Most damaging for the bull are the spears of the picadors, relatively safe on their padded horses who weaken the bull by wounding its shoulders.

So when it is time for the daring young fellows to drive in their barbed feathers, the risk is not so much.

And finally, the matador can address the bull, look it in the eye, and plunge home his sword in the killing stroke.

The falled beefsteak is then unceremoniously dragged out.

Next please!

We got to see a couple of tumbles, and witnessed the crowd whistling and gesticulating at a particularly clumsy effort by one of the matadors. There is a form to all of this.

But by bul number six, well it was all rather routine.

• msocolin's Profile Photo

Bullfighting (Corridas de toros) at Las Ventas

by msocolin Updated Jul 24, 2007

Plaza de Las Ventas

Madrid has the largest bullfighting arena in the world, called Las Ventas. Bullfighting is usually not seen anywhere else than Spain, so it's probably a good thing to see while there. Basically, it consists of a "fight" between a bull and a man, the torero. The bull enters the ring and a group of people start to tire him. Then a lancer (picador) mounted on a horse stabs the bull on the neck, so he starts to lose some blood. Then there are three flagmen (banderilleros) who plant two barbed sticks (called banderillas) on the bull's flanks. After all these, the torero enters the ring with a red cape and a sword. After making some passes at the bull, he finally kills him.
    All in all, it's a nice show, despite of the fact that an animal is being killed. I found that it's better to go with a local, or with someone who can explain what's going on at each moment.

• kari5's Profile Photo

Las Ventas tour

by kari5 Written Jul 16, 2007

We didn't go to an actual bullfight (I don't think I'd really want to) but we did go on a tour of Las Ventas, the bullring. Whether you like or agree with bullfighting or not, it is an important part of Spanish culture and tradition. The bullring itself is certainly a beautiful, ornate building and I thought the tour was interesting and disturbing at the same time. We began by looking in the museum which chronicled the history of bullfighting in Madrid and commemorated some of the more famous bullfighters (and bulls), and then went on the guided tour. The tour lasted for about an hour, was given in about four different languages and extremely informative, and you could ask whatever you wanted. Even though there wasn't a bullfight going on at the time, by the end of the tour we knew so much about bullfighting and had so much of a feel of the building that it felt like there might have been.

• Museum Visits