Bullfighting, Madrid

the monumental in my times there
  • front of monumental Las Ventas off Calle Alcala
    front of monumental Las Ventas off Calle...
    by gwened
  • going around left side to museum Taurino in back
    going around left side to museum Taurino...
  • kari5's Profile Photo

Las Ventas tour

by kari5 Written Jul 16, 2007

We didn't go to an actual bullfight (I don't think I'd really want to) but we did go on a tour of Las Ventas, the bullring. Whether you like or agree with bullfighting or not, it is an important part of Spanish culture and tradition. The bullring itself is certainly a beautiful, ornate building and I thought the tour was interesting and disturbing at the same time. We began by looking in the museum which chronicled the history of bullfighting in Madrid and commemorated some of the more famous bullfighters (and bulls), and then went on the guided tour. The tour lasted for about an hour, was given in about four different languages and extremely informative, and you could ask whatever you wanted. Even though there wasn't a bullfight going on at the time, by the end of the tour we knew so much about bullfighting and had so much of a feel of the building that it felt like there might have been.

• Museum Visits

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Old Tradition

by diver-x Updated Mar 21, 2007

The beginning of the end for this bull

I went to the bullfight in Madrid with mixed feelings and left in a state of near-shock. I thought maybe I'd go to see it for the cultural angle: the pageantry, the people-watching... And if things got too much for me, we could leave. I guess it was a bad idea for me because I get more upset seeing animals get hurt than seeing people get hurt. Anyway, our seats were far from the aisle and the place was packed. I suppose we could have elbowed our way out, but it didn't seem like the right thing to do. We stayed until the bitter end. 6 bulls died, and one person was seriously injured. I don't understand any of it.

• evona's Profile Photo

Plaza de Toros

by evona Updated Aug 24, 2006

Plaza de Toros "Las Ventas" is the most popular and important arena in Spain. You can see here corrida every sunday ( since March to October). The arena contains
    50 000 people. Around the building there are some sculptures of the best torreros and some bunches and trees. The most importand corridas are in Mai during Fiesta in honour of St. Isidoro.

• Architecture
    • Festivals

• Quartzy's Profile Photo

Because it's a tradition

by Quartzy Written Jul 31, 2006

I wanted to see a bullfight once in my life and I figured I couldn't go to Spain and not see one. Surprisingly, I was able to focus on the "show" part of it. So I was able to enjoy it, but I wouldn't go see another one.

You have to remember you can't walk in during a fight and when you do go in, you have to sit down very fast - my mother stood there looking for our seats and they tried to kick us out when the fight started because they thought we wanted to remain standing.

• LoucoSP's Profile Photo

Bull+Blood+Brave

by LoucoSP Written Mar 18, 2006

Bullfight

Some people thinks thats bullfight is torture others thinks that just fun time, if you are second group and its summer time in Madrid just go Sunday afternoon see some bulls, some brave(or crazy) guys and blood(from the bulls).
    price: 4 euros up 100 euros, the distance and place are that determine how much you need to pay. if you dont care about sun, with 12 euros you can find nice place to seat.

just important tip: you cant go to restroom or back to your seat between the bullfight, if happen , you must wait the fight finish.

• africateach's Profile Photo

Bull Jumping to be more exact

by africateach Written Feb 14, 2006

Bull Jumping Crew!

Ok, so I'm a little wussie and I dont want to see any animals die. If you are like me then go see bull jumping/dodging! It is awsome! These guys (a little wacko) get out in front of the bulls and actually wait for them to get within inches before they lean or dodge out of the way! The crowd goes nutz! The best is when one of the member of the team has a bull chase him, then another runs towards the bull and jumps over him! COOL!!! Much better to tease the bull than to kill it!
    I have to go back this summer, so maybe I will go see a bullfight, but we will see!

Just remember to bring a cushion for your butt cause you all sit on concrete steps and water. Even if it is at night it is HOT! If you dont like noise, either DONT GO or bring earplugs! You have to go with friends just as nutz as you though! Makes for a great time to go out before, have a few drinks and then head for the area!

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Bullfights

by fishandchips Updated Feb 2, 2006

Ready, set, go

This is not everyone's cup of tea so to speak however bullfighting is to Spain what beer is to Germany. The event starts with the main players parading around the ring before the President gives the go ahead to start. The bull enters and the act is played out until the bull is dragged out by a tractor. If the crowd is not pleased with the performance of the bull then they wave green flags at the President who must wave a green flag himself to have the current bull replaced. At the end of the series of fights the players parade around again and either get cheers or abuse (including the throwing of cushions which is the biggest insult as it has been resting against the spectators bottom!). The fight I went to had King Juan Carlos attending. The cost is approx 500 pesos for the cheaper seats but you can pay 6 times that (like I did) if you buy your ticket from a local taxi driver....... When I got back to my hotel room at about 2am there were highlights of the bullfight I had attended on TV!!

• Adventure Travel
    • Festivals

• svetik2000's Profile Photo

Watching "corrida", or bullfighting

by svetik2000 Written Oct 13, 2005

Even if you are not sure whether you like it or not (like me), you should definitely take the chance and visit the sunday bullfights if you are in Madrid from spring to early autumn - during the season when they take place.
    It's a really weird spectacle - and what was most suprising is that the majority of the audience were actually not toursits, as I would have thought, but madrilenos themselves. Moreover, it's a kind of family outing for some of them - right in front of me the family had brought huge bags full of sandwiches, water, wine, etc and they actually brought children to watch the bullfight.
    A bit of advice - be sure to take something warm and comfy to sit on - the seats are actually stone steps, and though they hand out the pillows at the entrance, it's better to have something in case they run out or charge money for them.

• markeveleigh's Profile Photo

Museo Taurino

by markeveleigh Written Sep 22, 2005

The bullfight museum at Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas is one of the capital’s less well known. Even during the afternoons or weekends (when the museum is, inexplicably, closed) Las Ventas is worth a visit just to check out the magnificent architecture of the world’s premier bullring, but the museum itself provides a unique insight into this cruel, passionate and intensely Spanish ‘art-form.’ Love it or hate it, this museum proves that there is far more to bullfighting than meets the eye.

• elPierro's Profile Photo

Bullfighting in Las Ventas

by elPierro Written Sep 1, 2005

Bullfighting, most people are against it, and still there's that piece of curiosity behind it.

The arena in Madrid is Las Ventas and is one of the largest bullfight Arena's in the world. Not mention a very nice looking building as well. Ticketprices vary from under €5,- to as much as you want to pay.

Shows last for a few hours and about 6 bulls will be killed. Though it's certainly not funny to see bulls getting killed (there's blood involved), it still is intriguing to experience this Spanish tradition.

• TheAndos's Profile Photo

Local culture

by TheAndos Updated Jul 6, 2005

Madrid has the largest bullfighting arena in Spain. We booked our tickets on the internet beforehand www.lasv-entas.com for E17.50 each (essential when we were there in June) and found the window to collect them quite easily.

We expected to see matadors but were lucky enough to have booked to see a rejoneo - the bullfighters are on horse back and the horse manoevres around sideways just out of the bulls reach. The bullfighter has to lean down to place the knife.

Yes, the bull dying is tragic but you realise the skill of the bullfighter. If the crowd thinks he has done well, they wave white hankerchiefs to indicate their approval to the president of the area who may then award the prize(s) - ears or the tail - to the fighter.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

BULLFIGHTS

by LysDor Updated Mar 10, 2005

This is certainly NOT for the light-hearted as all bulls are killed but it didn't do anything to me. I even enjoyed all the colorfull bullfighters costumes and how gracefully they did their moves - almost like a ballet!
    ..............................................

Bullfighting terms

Muleta A small red cloth stretched over a stick (Palo)
    Capote The red cape
    Paseillo The parade of fighters at the beginning
    Corrida A Bullfighting show
    Espada The matador's sword also called the ESTOQUE
    Matador The top bullfighter
    Novilladas Beginners fights
    Rejoneadores Horse-mounted fighters
    Toril Enclosure for the bulls
    Picador Fighter to weaken the bull
    Banderillas Barbed darts on coloured shafts placed into the bull's shoulders
    Puntilla A dagger that is stabbed into the base of the bull's skull
    Puerta grande The main door to the arena
    Gradas Highest seats at the back of the ring (cheapest seats)
    Barreras Front seats
    Sol/Sombra Sun/Shade - the choice as to where you sit
    Plaza de Toros Bullring

• LysDor's Profile Photo

PLAZA DE TOROS DE LAS VENTAS

by LysDor Updated Mar 10, 2005

This is the entrance to the bullfight-arena.

==> Find more pictures of the corridas in my travelogue - I think there were at least 8 different ones.

NOTICE: This doesn't mean I fully support bullfights as I know how much bulls suffers beforehands (I wont go into that here but several articles can be found on the cruelty done to these animals on the internet) but one has to keep in mind that this is part of Spanish heritage and has to be considered as such! Beside, the bull is killed fairly quickly when entering the arena.

• tejanasueca's Profile Photo

Bullfights at Madrid's Plaza de Toros

by tejanasueca Updated Dec 14, 2004

Ole!

Ok, I know some people have a hard time with this one, but the truth is that bullfights are a very traditional part of Spanish culture, and opposed to popular belief, the bulls get a LOT of respect from the toreros and the audience. Certainly, these bulls are not worse of than the millions of cows brought to slaughter each day; rather the opposite.

Going to a bullfight will you a true sense of Spanish culture not only because what is going on in the arena, but also what's going on in the stands. This is a place where you will see regular Spanish people coming after a day at work. It is not very expensive, and I definitely think it is something to experience! (well, maybe unless you're a vegetarian of course!)

• Study Abroad

• Rocco_Tulsa's Profile Photo

Toro!

by Rocco_Tulsa Written Aug 4, 2004

This was great! It was near the end of my trip when the season began. SIx bulls charged in and six bulls were dragged out.

People like to say this is cruel, but these bulls get treated a lot better than cows for their hamburger and steak. They don't waste the flesh either. There is a lot of pagentry and ritual involed. It's real exciting, but you do understand, that A) this is life and death and it can be gruesome B) while there is real danger, the bull is at a severe disadvantage and C) the chances are slim to none that the bull will leave on it's on terms

Instant Answers: Madrid