4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 150 Reviews

by JuliaMac
    Prado
    by MichaelFalk1969
  • breughel's Profile Photo

An unknown masterpiece of Bruegel.

by breughel Written Sep 24, 2010

It seems that the Prado museum might acquire an unknown work of Pieter Bruegel the Elder called "Het St-Maartensfeest" (Feast of St-Martin).
    Knowing that only forty Bruegel the Elder reached us this is great news for Madrid's Prado and all fans of Bruegel.
    Actually the painting, first thought to be a copy, belongs to a private Spanish collection and was first recognized by the curator Manfred Sellink of the Groeninge Museum in Bruges. The large painting 2,70 m x 1,40 m was restored at the Prado and recognized by other Bruegel specialists as authentic from about 1567, the year when the "Peasant Dance" (KHM Vienna) was painted.
    The work, on the free market, is evaluated at 25 million Euros but as the work is not allowed to leave Spain the real price proposed by the museum will be much lower.

• breughel's Profile Photo

Prado museum vs. Thyssen-Bornemisza

by breughel Updated Apr 9, 2011

Jerome Bosch

One might be tempted to compare the famous MUSEO NACIONAL DEL PRADO with the THYSSEN BORNEMISZA collection on the other side of the same avenue. I visited both museums several times and must say that my aesthetic pleasure was much greater each time at the Thyssen-Bornemisza than at the Prado Museum.
    I confess that I am not a fan of the Spanish school with its painters such as El Greco, Ribalta, Ribera, Murillo, or Zurbaran. My taste or judgement has probably been "spoiled" by having grown up surrounded by Flemish and Dutch paintings.
    Fortunately for those who might share my taste, the Prado has a large section of Flemish painters (1000 paintings) including Van de Weyden, Bosch ("the Garden of Delights") and Rubens and 200 works from Dutch painters.
    Most spectacular is Jerome Bosch whose pictures have always fascinated viewers; Philip II, king of Spain, was a major art collector who liked the bizarre fantasies of this Netherlandish master.

If in his time Bosch was regarded as the inventor of monsters and chimeras, today his paintings still hold as an intriguing attraction reflecting mysterious practices of the Middle Ages.

I was surprised during my last visit at the Prado to notice that guides stopped their groups in front of his famous triptych " The Garden of the Delights " to explain at length its symbolism, while in previous years they would spend more time on Velazquez and other painters of the Spanish school.
    Jerome Bosch seems a rising star in the world of the fans of the esotericism, the mysteries and the sects. Should we see here a collateral effect of the "Da Vinci Code" esoteric passion?

With the help of Google Earth it is now possible to see major works of the Prado such as the Garden of Delights in detail and high resolution. Fantastic!

On the other side of the Paseo del Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum was enlarged in June 2004 to display more than 200 paintings collected by Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza. The collection of the Baroness is a natural continuation of the historical Thyssen-Bornemisza collection (located in Madrid since 1992) and includes 17th century Dutch painting, 19th century landscape, North American painting, Impressionism, Post-impressionism and Avant-Garde movements. It is a real pleasure to visit the new galleries which complement the historical collection. Quality and variety are the characteristics of this museum which now belongs among the Europe’s best museums of paintings.

To conclude: a visit to Madrid must include both museums.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Museo del Prado

by Jefie Updated May 10, 2008

In front of the Velazquez entrance

As I mentioned in the introduction, I didn't know much about Madrid before I got there, but one thing I did know was that it was home to the famous Prado Museum. The Prado houses a collection of over a thousand classic European paintings, dating from the 12th to the 19th century. Spanish painters Velazquez and Goya are prominently featured in the museum, but the works of other painters and sculptors such as Rubens, Rembrandt, Botticelli and Raphael are also on display.

I have to admit that since I don't know all that much about classical and religious arts, the Prado wasn't necessarily my favorite museum in Madrid. I did however learn a lot, and by the end of my visit I was able to recognize many famous scenes, such as the rest on the flight to Egypt and Lot and his daughters. My favorite paintings included Las Meninas by Velazquez, The Three Graces by Rubens, and the rather haunting "black paintings" by Goya (unfortunately, as in most museums in Madrid, it was not possible to take pictures).

On a side note, we had lunch at the Cafe Prado, and without being anything too special, it was good and quite affordable. The museum is open from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm every day (closed on Mondays). Admission: 6 Euros (free after 6:00 pm).

• leics's Profile Photo

Getting in for nothing: February 2012

by leics Written Feb 19, 2012

Free queue at 5.45pm February

There's no point in writing loads about the Prado itself: it's a huge place stuffed ith artworks, some of which are indeed masterpieces.

I like art, but not so much that I was prepared to pay the 12 euro entrance fee if there was a way of avoiding it. And there is, especially if (like me) you choose a hotel in the nearby area.

The Prado is free every evening from 6pm-8pm. If you stay nearby you will be able to go on more than one evening, before you nip out for your evening meal/drink (as I did). Which is very pleasing. :-)

The queue at 5.45m, when I joined, stretched to the Velasquez atatue and I was concerned that I would lose a lot of time actually getting into the museum. But it turned out not to be so. On the do of 6 the queue began to move steadily forwards, with the ticket sellers ready with free tickets as you entered and the security scanners functioning speedily. So I was inside and ready to go by 6.05 both times I visited.

I've no doubt queues will be longer at busier times of year, so it makes sense to get there around, say, 5.30 or risk taking a bit longer to get in.

Once inside, people quickly dispersed around the huge building so I was able to see all the paintings close-up, with no problems at all.

• fachd's Profile Photo

One of the best art museum in the world

by fachd Updated May 25, 2009

Kim and I have been to many art museums. We both agreed that El Prado Museum is amongst the best we’ve seen so far. The tour director only allows us two hours, naturally as an art lover that’s not enough. Anyway we did our best try to see and read the info of the individual paintings, sculptures as much as we can. For obvious reasons we did not get to see much of the collections.

We did manage to see many of Goya collections. I was very impressed with Francisco Goya work during his dark period, his painting ‘Saturn Devouring His Son’ very haunting indeed; hmm he must be on drug. I always like ‘The Naked Maja’, ‘The Clothed Maja’ and his well known painting “The Shootings of May 3rd”. I had a good look at ‘Las Meninas’ by Diego Velazquez, he’s on the paintings. I had a quick browse of El Greco and others paintings.

To see these paintings live is so much different seeing from a book. To absorb everything at the museum you need at least two days. I also noticed there are master copies of paintings exhibits done by students; I must admit there are very good.

El Prado is the most visited art museum in Spain and one of the best in the world. It has more than 8,600 paintings. Anyone who likes art will know El Prado. It has many collections from artists around the world, to name a few artists like Goya, El Greco, Velazquez, Rembrandt, Rubens, Raphael, Bosch, Rafael. Not only exhibit paintings but also exhibits sculptures, drawings, coins and other works of arts.

Tuesdays to Saturdays: 9am-7pm
    Sundays, holidays, 24th and 31st december: 9am-2pm
    Mondays: closed

Price: 6 € full-price

• Photography

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Front of the Prado in 1964

I went to the Prado Museum on each trip. On the 1964 trip with my sister, I went on my own before she got there and then we took a city tour, and I let her go in by herself while I sat with my niece. Then when we went together, we took a small part of the museum to look at, as we had my niece with us in a stroller.

The second time when I went with my mom, we concentrated mostly on the Spanish artists (Goya, Velasquez and El Greco (who I think was really a Greek) but we also looked at the Flemish section (Brueghel and Bosch) because those guys have always fascinated me - kind of like a medieval Grandma Moses. We went twice at opening time on our own for short visits, and then when the tour we joined went whirlwind through the museum, we didn't have to worry that we'd miss our favorite things.

Open: 9 AM to 7 PM; Sundays 9 AM to 2 PM. Closed: Monday.

Basic admission: 3.01 €
    Discounted admission (with ID): 1.5 €
    - Holders of youth cards, student´s cards or international equivalents.

Free admission (with ID):
    - Visitors under 18
    - Visitors over 65, pensioners, registered disabled

AUDIOGUIDE
    Avalaible in Rooms 1 and 51. Price 3 €.

CAFETERIA:

Tuesday to Sunday and public holidays from 9am to 6.20pm.

RESTAURANT:

Tuesday to Sunday and public holidays from 11.30 am to 4pm

SHOP:

Tuesday to Sunday and public holidays from 9am to 6.30pm

Currently the museum website says:

"Each month the Museum invites visitors to take part in a guided tour entitled "A Work, an Artist". These visits aim is to encourage a close look at a particular painting.

These tours take place at the following times:

Saturdays at 4pm and 5.30pm
    Sundays at 11am and 12.30pm
    They last around one hour.

"All those wishing to take part should enter the Museum through one of the normal entrances. Once inside, it is essential to register for the tour at least 30 minutes before it starts, at the meeting point located in the Lower Rotunda of the Goya Entrance. "

This sounds like a good deal to me.

• Urzu's Profile Photo

Art, Anyone?

by Urzu Updated Jan 12, 2008

Monumental Prado

The Prado Museum is one of the most complete and visited museums in the world, it's of course one of my favourite. The collection consists mainly of classical paintings and sculptures... what I like the most are the paintings, it's amazing how one room can give you goose bumps because of it's darkness and creepiness, and the next is so beautiful you think you could cry. The Prado has so many different styles that anyone will find something that s/he likes there. In any case it's great to see for example paintings from Goya or Velazquez or the temporary expositions which are usually great. Don't miss the chance if you have it. Also recentrly the Prado Museum had gone through some new additions, there are many new rooms with art works that were waiting to be put up on the walls. I haven't had the chance to visit the new part, but it sure looks interesting! The architecture is a lot more contemporary and it makes quite some contrast with the art pieces.
    The entrance is EUR 6.- The museum is opened Tuesday-Sunday from 9:00 to 20:00. The entrance will be for free from Tuesday-Saturday if you go from 18:00 to 20:00, and on Sundays from 17:00 to 20:00.

• Architecture

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

One of the best museums in the world

by GentleSpirit Updated Mar 5, 2013

Velasquez in front of the Prado Museum

The Museo del Prado, the art collection of the Spanish Royal Family, is one of the very best overall collections of European art. The collection is especially strong in the Spanish painters, particularly Velasquez (my favorite) and Goya. I also loved the great collection of Titian and Italian Renaissance paintings they had.

The collection is especially interesting in that it reflects the origins of the royal family as well. Carlos V was Holy Roman Emperor and King of a Spain that was suddenly a European and world power. Carlos was the son of Juana of Castile (daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella- the Reyes Catolicos) and Phillip the Handsome (Hapsburg house, duke of Burgundy from Flanders). You see the increasing influence and presence of the artists from the Low Countries in the collection from this period. Why? well in this case, Carlos V actually spent very little time in Spain. He had grown up in the Low Countries and spent the majority of his reign there.

One of the really nice things about the Prado,other than the very high level of quality of its exhibits, is that the museum itself is not as enormous as the Louvre or British Museum. You can go through it at a relaxed pace and see most if not all of it without having to spend days or weeks there. Give yourself at least 4 hours to see the Prado.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Prado for Art-Lovers and Velazquez paintings

by jumpingnorman Updated Nov 29, 2008

Prado Museum, Madrid

The Prado Museum was right across my hotel (the Westin Palace), and so it was easy to explore this very huge collection of artworks, most notably those of Diego Velazquez whose Las Meninas painting (Maids in Waiting) attracts a lot of attention. Diego himself is in the picture in the lower left corner, with the highlight being the Infanta Margarita (child of King Felipe - also seen in painting, can you find him?) with her maids and two dwarfs.

Other artists whose works I remember include those of Goya at the ground and first floors, Raphael (The Holy Family with Lamb, Portrait of a Cardinal), Rubens (Three Graces) and Rembrant's Artemis. But I am not much of an art buff, but still I enjoyed this museum a lot!

• Architecture

• Danalia's Profile Photo

by Danalia Updated Apr 18, 2011

Prado Museum

The Prado Museum is renowned as being the largest art gallery in the world.
    It also exhibits sculptures, drawings, coins and other works of arts, but it is undoubtedly its large collection of paintings which has given it fame worldwide.
    It houses more than 8,600 paintings, of which they exhibit less than 2,000 because of lack of space available.
    Many museums throughout the world have less artistic riches in their halls than the Prado Museum has in storage.

The present day art gallery comes from the royal collections of the old Trinidad Museum, as well as acquisitions, donations and bequests.

Its history began during the reign of Charles III, when he tried to create a single art collection under one roof.
    But it was not until the reign of Fernando VII when the Royal Museum of Painting and Sculpture was created, on 19th November 1819.
    The kings death caused inheritance problems and endangered the unity of the collection, but with the disappearance of the monarchy in Spain the museum became national property and became known as the Prado National Museum.

From then to this date, the works of art have survived several challenges and were transferred several times during the Spanish Civil War, ending up in the Swiss city of Geneva and being returned to Madrid during the Second World War.

Nowadays, its treasures are exhibited in two adjacent buildings : the Villanueva Building where the majority of the works are housed, and the Cason del Buen Retiro.

When to come?

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Prado Museum - Fine Art

by Mikebb Updated Feb 22, 2010

Prado Museum, Madrid

Know throughout the world as one of the finest Art Museums, our visit to Prado was high on our list of places to visit. Our group had a Prado guide take us on a 2 hour tour of this fine museum.

The amount of Art on display was much less than I expected, I would think much less than 100 paintings were displayed, more likely around 50. Our guide gathered us around each exhibit and gave us the necessary information on the painting, the artist and other aspects of the artist.

Most exhibits were from Spanish artists and included some famous paintings by El Greco. There were some by Ruebens (not Spanish) from the period he lived in Spain. No photos are allowed within the Museum.

The Prado Museum is closed on Monday.

After our tour we stayed for lunch in the modern cafe.

• Seniors

• evona's Profile Photo

Paseo del Prado

by evona Updated Jun 7, 2004

in front of this building there is the sculptur of Velazquez.....
    There are in exposition 2000 pictures. There are of cours very wealthy colloection of spanish painting. You can see here the pictures of Goya, Velazquez, Ribera, Murillo, El Greco, Zurbaran and many more.The italian painting represent among others: Tizian, Veronese, Tiepolo, Fra Angelico, Botticelli, Tintoretto, Caravaggio, Rafaello... The french - Poussin, Lorrain, Watteau..... The another great masters wich works can you admire are: Rubens, Bosch, Rembrandt, Cranach, Duerer, Brueghel, Teniers, Van Dycke.......and many more.... one day this is too little time to see all....

• andal13's Profile Photo

Museo del Prado

by andal13 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Las Meninas

Museo del Prado surely is one the most important museums of fine arts of the world; it houses an amazing collection of paintings of the masters. The masterpieces of the greatest Spaniard painters like Velázquez, Goya, Murillo, Zurbarán, are here; the vedettes of the museum are "Las Meninas" by Velázquez (see picture) and "La Maja desnuda" by Goya.
    Remember that the visit takes several hours, so put your most comfortable shoes on.

El Museo del Prado seguramente es uno de los museos de artes plásticas más importantes del mundo; aloja una impresionante colección de pinturas de los maestros. Las obras maestras de los más destacados pintores españoles tales como Velázquez, Goya, Murillo, Zurbarán, están aquí; las vedettes del museo son "Las Meninas" de Velázquez (ver foto) y "La Maja desnuda" de Goya.
    Recuerda que la visita lleva varias horas, así que ponte tus zapatos más cómodos.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

PRADO: "Fusilamiento del 3 de Mayo 1808 " by Goya

by Krystynn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fusilamiento del 3 de mayo by Goya

Art Masterpiece: Fusilamiento del 3 de Mayo

Artist: Francisco Goya (1746-1828)

Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes welcomed and received official honors and worldly success with enthusiasm. At the same time he left a ruthlessly penetrating record of his patrons and private expressions of introspection, moral objectivity, and caustic commentary on his times. By the 1780s Goya was Spain's leading painter, specializing in religious pictures and portraits. He acknowledged 3 masters: the elegant, fluid Diego Velázquez, his predecessor as court painter to the Spanish royal family; the truthful, penetrating Rembrandt van Rijn; and, above all, nature.

A 1792 illness left Goya deaf and mentally broken. He turned inward and began painting dark, disturbing, private works. His etchings "Los Caprichos" expressed his distaste for the corrupt, fanatical establishment, particularly the Church, for whom he worked; the etchings went on sale in 1799, the year he became principal painter to the Spanish king.

During the Napoleonic wars, Goya recorded his reactions to the occupying French army’s atrocities in his Disasters of War etchings and a painting, "Fusilamiento del 3 de Mayo 1808 ", whose immediate equivalence of paint, flesh, and blood profoundly influenced Édouard Manet. By 1814, the repressive Spanish monarchy was restored and Goya resumed painting the royals, whom he portrayed with at times unflattering frankness. He died in voluntary exile in France.

Info courtesy of: http://www.ocaiw.com

• Redang's Profile Photo

Museo del Prado (Prado Museum)

by Redang Updated Jul 7, 2012

Museo del Prado (Madrid, Spain)

The best museum of the world about painting.

Important notice: As of 16th Janiary 2012, the museum will open 7 days a week.

Free entry:
    - Monday to Saturday: From 18h to 20h (6pm to 8pm)
    - Sunday and bank holidays: From 17h to 19h (5pm to 7pm)

Info about opening hours and prices:
    - www.museodelprado.es/visita-el-museo (en Español)
    - www.museodelprado.es/en/visit-the-museum (in English)

Instant Answers: Madrid

Comments

Hotels Near Prado Museum
3.5 out of 5 stars