Segovia, Madrid

by keeweechic
  • keeweechic's Profile Photo

Viaduct Segovia

by keeweechic Written Sep 20, 2009

Originally built between 1872 and 1874, this was the first viaduct to be built over Calle de Segovia and is an important landmark in Madrid. It was designed by Eugenio Barron and was originally constructed of timber and iron. In 1934 the bridge was reinforced with concrete and then during the Civil War was rebuilt. It stands at 23 metres above street level. The bridge was a tragic end to the life of Alvaro Burgos Goizueta who accidentally fell to his death during the filming of the movie “Heatwave”

• Photography

• skullcrusher's Profile Photo

Segovia - an enchanting town near the capital.

by skullcrusher Written Aug 26, 2007

Segovia's impressive aqueduct.

It seems that most people speak of taking a day trip from Madrid to visit Toledo, which I'm sure is a lovely town in it's own right (I can't say for sure since I haven't benn there). But I had always been more interested in making a trip to a city called Segovia. I heard it had an impressive Alcázar and a massive ancient Roman aqueduct. Thus, I hopped on a bus at the Paseo de la Florida stop (across the road from the Principe Pio Metro station) and was on my way. The trip was just over an hour and the ride was pleasant with the driver playing some nice latin music to while away the time.

To make a long story short. I think Segovia is one of the nicer little towns I've had the pleasure to visit in my days. The Roman aqueduct almost defies imagination and the huge arches can be seen from very far away. Segovia's downtown is just as stunning with the monster of a cathedral and the old town hall (Ayuntamiento). Then on the opposite end of town from the aqueduct is the amazing castle (Alcázar). If I had the money to buy any castle on the planet I think this one would be it. There are great views from along the battlements and the interior displays are truly great and informative.

I really enjoyed my daytrip to Segovia.

• Archeology

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

by Nathalie_B Written Apr 20, 2007

I always wanted to go to Segovia, for many reasons. First because I wanted to see the giant Aqueduct. Second I love castles and fortresses and wouldn't miss the opportuity to explore Segovia's Alcazar. Third reason was food, I heard their suckling pig is delicious. And fourth, I wanted to get out of Madrid and travel to the nearby cities.
    I went to Segovia by car, it took us about 1,5 hours, but it is also possible to go there by train and there's no need to get tickets in advance. Just go to Atocha train station and book your ride.
    Segovia is a truly beautiful city and easy to get around. The Old city is well preserved and offers many highlights. It is easy to explore by foot since many streets are strictly pedestrian and cars are not permitted. Its architecture is interesting and adds to the feeling that you're walking around a gigantic museum.
    One long day is enough to get the idea of why the city is so famous and attracts so many tourists. But if you want to get really acquainted with Segovia then stay longer or come back.
    Before you go to Segovia I'd recommend to read about its history it will certainly help to understand how special the place is.
    There are also 2 tourist information centers, one by the Aqueduct and one at Plaza Mayor. There you can get your free map and hit the road.

• Architecture

• MM212's Profile Photo

by MM212 Written May 19, 2006

Segovia makes another excellent daytrip from Madrid, though it is a little harder to reach than Toledo as only local (slow) trains are available. It is, however, faster to reach by car if you happen to have one on your trip. Segovia is a well preserved mediaeval city dating back to Roman times. The most important features include an enormous Roman aqueduct running through the centre of the city, an imposing Gothic cathedral, and a fairytale castle (Alcázar). My only visit to Segovia was in February 1996, so I do not have any digital pictures to show. However, I plan to digitise some of them in the future to post to VT, so please check again.

• Architecture

• sethnem's Profile Photo

by sethnem Written Dec 29, 2003

monastery en segovia

its a beautiful town located about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs from madrid. in the summer its great because the temperature is a relief from madrid's heat!

it is quite medieval with a castle and roman aqueducts everything is so hard to describe its best to see it with your own eyes

• nkdnatl's Profile Photo

by nkdnatl Written Oct 11, 2003

If you want a great and easy day trip from Madrid, I suggest Segovia. It's about 2 hours via train but the air conditioned buses which leave from Atocha are the quickest. Both are very inexpensive. You can round trip on either for about $10. Trains take you to the station where you must take a local bus (which can be confusing if you don't read Spanish). Buses take you much closer to the city center.

Things not to miss:

ROMAN AQUEDUCT (hard to miss because it dominates the main square and tourist area of old Segovia). This aqueduct was actually used up until the late 19th c.

CATHEDRAL - This huge, sprawling Gothic cathedral dominates the skyline. Built in 1525, this cathedral houses many fine Brussels tapestries, paintings, and treasure.

ALCAZAR - Although the present castle was built in 1862, it looks much older. It is said that Disney used this as a model for its castle. The view from the top is spectacular.

• davidcross's Profile Photo

SEGOVIAIf you are fit, take a...

by davidcross Written Feb 25, 2003

SEGOVIA
    If you are fit, take a walk out to the 12 sided church of Vera Cruz and take a scenic walk back.
    I hardly ever reccomend anything I have not done myself but I gazed with envy from the walls and I am sure this must be a satisfying trip.

• Hiking and Walking

• laosa13's Profile Photo

by laosa13 Updated Feb 10, 2004

Segovia is an amazing town about an hours drive from Madrid. The aqueduct is incredible, it was built over 2000 years ago by the Romans and is breathtaking.

Instant Answers: Madrid