Nightlife, Madrid

by BellaMora
  • LoucoSP's Profile Photo

People Invite to go Nice Bar in Hostel

by LoucoSP Written Mar 18, 2006

If you find some people invite to go some "nice bar" or free tickets to some club, be careful because can be tourist trap, sometimes there is no free ticket or bar its terrible.

The guy that invite the people is local not traveller

Unique Suggestions: Ask to others people if who is invite its good guy.

Fun Alternatives: Sometimes walk in street you can find some simple e good bar to drink and have fun.

• BellaMora's Profile Photo

Joy Eslava. I just didnt see...

by BellaMora Written Aug 26, 2002

Joy Eslava. I just didnt see what all the fuss was. I went to this club and i wasnt impressed at all but its advertised like its the best thing going in Madrid. I guess im just used to the italian clubs that have 2-3 floors with 18 different rooms that play different music in every room. I was told when I called Joy they play everything to include Salsa. I got there about 130am and they were playing techno and it was only one big floor with everybody on it. Of course, I was looking for the Salsa at this point because Im truly irritated by techno. I love house but I cant stand techno (those house-lovers know the difference) So i asked the bouncer when was the salsa coming and he said that starts between 230 and 3 am. I could have found a salsa club in less time for all that!

• Chinese Street Masseurs at Plaza de Santa Ana

by adzz Updated Jan 3, 2010

Like all con merchants and charlatans, these Chinese street masseurs can be found at popular tourist spots in Madrid such as Plaza de Santa Ana and Plaza Mayor.

My wife and I got conned by them.

We were walking around Plaza de Santa Ana one evening and we were approached by a man and wife from Peking who were masseurs. They told us it would be 10 euros each for a massage so we agreed. We even asked them twice about the price to be certain.

We sat down and they started our massages. They started on our head, shoulders and backs, then moved down to our legs. When they start to massage your legs, they reveal a chart which depicts a diagram of the human body with price brackets from head to toe. And guess what? The head starts at 10 euros, shoulders 20 euros, until you get to the feet which is 30+ euros.

Couldn't believe we fell for that one!

The chart should have been shown to us before the massage, but of course they are con merchants out to make money! After the massage we argued with them about the price, but I could see the situation was getting worse and I didn't want to spoil my holiday and upset my wife, so I paid them with a mutual agreement of 50 euros.

To be honest the massage was really good, but I hated the con element of it. I found them to be two-faced: friendly and cheerful when massaging you, then shady and accusing YOU of being wrong when you question the sudden price rise and violation of initial price agreement.

If you come across these people in Plaza de Santa Ana, IGNORE them.
    If they approach you, IGNORE them.
    If you want a massage, do it.... but be prepared to be scammed.
    It is tough to negotiate with these people. Also you need to be careful as you don't know what they are capable of in a physical sense: i.e. put you in hospital with some black belt karate moves.

They are definitely dodgy, so be careful if you come across them and be sure to avoid them at all costs.

Unique Suggestions: Be prepared to pay double or treble of the initial agreed massage price.
    Don't argue with them (for your own safety).
    Just smile and enjoy the massage part... more than the scam part.

• Women's Travel