Barajas airport, Madrid

Know about this? Rate It!

• Barajas airport
    by garridogal
    Barajas airport, Madrid, Spain.
    by planxty
    Barajas airport, Madrid, Spain.
    by planxty
  • unaS's Profile Photo

Interestnig...

by unaS Updated Apr 4, 2011

Barajas airport's new terminal 4S is very, very large.
    It is also very far from anywhere else.

After landing and passing through immigration one must take a special metro shuttle to T4 to collect one's luggage.

The metro shuttle is located down a few flights of stairs.
    There is also an escalator and a lift to reach it.
    Once there one cannot return upstairs again. The shuttle is free.

It is a high speed metro that travels for a good 4 minutes.
    Just how far away is it really I wonder?

• Disabilities
    • Seniors

• ABQ_Hugh's Profile Photo

Barajas>Sol/Atocha/Chamartin: Use Metro+Cercanias

by ABQ_Hugh Updated Jun 29, 2011

Cercanias: Nuevos Ministerios to Sol&Rail stations

If you're like me, one of the ways you make traveling affordable is by taking public transport to/from airports whenever feasible. Madrid's Barajas is served by Metro Line 8, costing just 2 Euros [1 Euro standard Metro fare + 1 Euro Airport Supplement], which is like 1/20th the price of a cab.

Taking the Metro can be more of a hassle if you are sleep-deprived after a long flight and/or you have too much luggage. For example, to take the Metro to the center of the city [the "Sol" stop, at Puerta del Sol, near Plaza Mayor], by metro, you must change trains twice....the first change is at Nuevos Ministerios, which is the end of Line 8 coming from the airport. Nuevos Ministerios is a big station and you must walk a long ways to get from Line 8 to Line 10.
    (Note: the new 2-Euro Línea Exprés Aeropuerto bus now travels between T1/T2/T4, and O'Donnel, Plaza Cibeles, and Atocha Railway station. If you arrive/depart @ T1, it will save you lots of walking!)

However, if you spend another 1,3 Euros, you can get to Sol 15 minutes faster, walk less, and change trains only once. How? Once you arrive at Nuevos Ministerios, take the "Cercanias" suburban railway [like the RER in Paris] to your destination.

Getting off of the Metro at Nuevos Ministeros

When you disembark, on the platform, look for signs to the "Cercanias" suburban railway [like the RER in Paris].The Cercanias logo is a solid red circle containing a reversed white letter "C." The interchange between the Metro Line 8 and Cercanias is easy, with lifts and escalators, and actually requires less walking than from Line 8 to Line 10 within the Metro itself.

Follow the signs and exit the Metro and go to the Cercanias ticket machines or ticket window. Buy a ticket [the 1,3 Euros I mentioned above].

Going to the new Sol railway station in Puerta del Sol
    Look for the directions to "Sol" or lines C-3 or C-4. Because other Cercanias trains pass through Nuevos Ministerios, be sure you get on the C-3 or C-4 train only. They are marked "Aranjuez" and "Parla" respectively, because those are the last stops on those routes. Sol is the next stop, and takes only 5 minutes.....rather than 18 minutes, 6-7 stops and another train change on the Metro.

Going to Atocha Railway Station
    For Atocha station, you can get on any southbound Cercanias train [follow signs that say "Atocha" on them]. It will be the second stop and the journey will take 8 minutes rather than the Metro's 22 minutes, another train change, and 10 total stops.

Going to Chamartin Railway Station
    For Chamartin station, you can get on any northbound Cercanias train [follow signs that say "Chamartin" on them]. It will be the next stop, and the journey will take 4-6 minutes rather than the Metro's 14 minutes and four stops.

• Trains

• acemj's Profile Photo

Barajas Airport

by acemj Updated Dec 17, 2002

Madrid's Barajas Airport is a modern airport featuring shopping and cafes and three terminals. Terminal 1 is for most international flights. Terminal 2 mainly for domestic flights and Terminal 3 is for domestic shuttle and Iberia/Air Nostrum regional flights.

The other great thing about the airport is that the Metro connects it with the city! It's about 15 kilometers (9 miles) outside of Madrid.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Public transportation from Barajas Airport Madrid

by Penelope4 Written Mar 21, 2009

Do you know which terminal you'll be arriving at? I can not find my travel booklet but since I took the metro myself when I visited Madrid, I thought I try to help by searching the Web myself.

From this Website http://www.gomadrid.com/transport/madrid-transport.html, you will read the information below

Madrid's Barajas Airport is situated approximately 15 KM (7m) from the city centre and has four terminals. You are strongly recommended to consult your airline to find out which terminal your flight arrives at or leaves from, but we give here some basic indications:-

T1 International Terminal: Inter-continental and some European flights.

T2 Terminal: Mostly European flights. Some intercontinental flights

T3 Puente Aereo Terminal: Shuttle flights between Madrid and Barcelona

T4 Terminal: Iberia and other OneWorld alliance airline flights

Madrid's Barajas Airport has Metro stations in Terminal T2 and the newer Terminal T4. Trains leave every 5 minutes from 6.00am to 2.00am. Line 8 goes straight to the newly reformed Nuevos Ministerios Metro station in the centre of Madrid, with a journey time of just 12 minutes. On your return it is even possible to check-in at this Metro station for some flights between the hours of 6.30am and 10.30pm. Please check with the airline first, because not all flights are available (e.g. there is no check-in for the Madrid-Barcelona shuttle flight, and many foreign airlines have no presence here yet). You can check in your luggage up to 24 hours (20 hours for some companies) maximum and 2 hours minimum before the flight but again, please check with the relevant airline because certain goods have to be checked in at the airport itself (live animals, dangerous goods, etc.).

The price of a single journey to or from the airport is currently 2 euros, which includes a 1 euro supplementary airport charge. If you already possess a valid Metro ticket, you can simply purchase the airport supplementary ticket for 1 euro.

Tip: Consider buying the Madrid Tourist Travel Pass, which allows you to travel on any Metro, bus or suburban train, all included in the price of just 5 euros, making it a great way to save money on public transport. With this pass, it is not necessary to pay the airport surcharge.

It is also possible to purchase a 10-trip "Metrobus" ticket at 7.40 euros, valid for both the Metro and city buses, since you will undoubtedly be using the Metro again during your stay. This may be purchased at newspaper outlets, "estancos" or tobacconists and Metro stations. Note that you will still need to purchase the 1 euro supplementary ticket for any journey to/from the airport.

Advantages: Cheap, frequent service to virtually any part of town.
    Disadvantages: You will most likely need to transfer a couple of times to get to your final destination. Consider this when lugging about large suitcases!
    Cost: 2 euro one-way (to/from the airport, 1 euro elsewhere). 7 euros for 10 journeys (plus 1 euro supplement to/from airport)
    Unquote

I remember that the trip to the city was convenient. Every year, fares change so expect that the quoted fares may not be the same anymore.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• leics's Profile Photo

Very pleasant

by leics Written Feb 18, 2012

Look for the large lady!

Barajas is a pleasant little airport with good transport links to the city: lots and lots of taxis, airport bus every 15 minutes or so (24/7)and Metro. I can only speak of Terminal 1.

I was very impressed at being able to pass border control very quickly using my electronic passport and my fingerprint: it is rare that the equipment available for such entry is actually working so it was a pleasant surprise to be able, in effect, to just 'walk into Spain' with no hassle at all. My bags arrived very quickly too.

I like the ease of catching the airport bus (just outside Arrivals) and the small sitting area around the statue of a large lady on a donkey, where i sat and read in the sun until it was time for me to check-in.

A word of warning though: on my return the airport was very busy (too many school groups on their way home). Queues for Easyjet check-in were huge (this is the reason I *always* pay for speedy boarding) and security was pretty chaotic. They only have very small trays which you have to fill then carry to the scanner..not easy if you have more than one tray (which is essential if you have a laptop/netbook with you).

The other word of warning is that, food and water both pre and post-security is grossly overpriced. But that is nothing new in airports, and certainly not unique to Barajas!

• Singles
    • Seniors

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Fares public transport from Airport to the city

by Birsen Updated Apr 4, 2011

busy madrid streets

Aproximate taxi fare from Airport to the city( including suplement airport fee-4,20 Euro)

Plaza de Colon 19 Euro
    Puerta del Sol 20 Euro
    Plaza de Espana 21,50 Euro
    Estasion de Atocha 20,50 Euro
    Estacion de Chamartin 17,50

To go to the airport If you take a taxi from the street the fee is 2,20 euro.So substract 2 euro from the fares above.And make sure you have enough time. Becouse traffic in Madrid is very heavy in rush hours.Some times it takes 1,5 -2 hours to arrive to the airport

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Transiting Terminal T4 with a Cane

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Coming in to Madrid

Arriving in Madrid from the US, I was alerted to the fact that the time that I thought we landed was off by an hour when I saw the large clocks (photo 5) that there are everywhere in the terminal. There were stairs (escalators), trains and elevators to get us to immigration where they stamped our passports and took the top half of the form we had to fill out. Then we went through security again to get to our next flight.

On the way to that flight, we went down two flights of stairs to a bus, the bus took us to the plane, and we had to walk up a flight of stairs to the plane.

On the way back to the states, we came into Madrid from Venice the day before we were to fly out. Photo 4 is the terminal from the plane as we landed. The baggage collection places (photo 2) were in the new T4 terminal where we arrived and we retrieved our luggage without a problem.

The next day when we flew out, we had to be sure that we told the taxi driver which terminal to take us to, as they are fairly widely separated.

After we found the AA airline counter, we got into a long line of people waiting to check in. I sat on my cane and we waited. Eventually one of the line herder ladies came and asked me if I wanted a wheelchair. I said I thought I'd be OK. So she went away. A little later, she came and asked again, so I said I would surrender to the wheelchair.

The wheelchair lady took us to the business class check-in. First we had our passports validated that we had had our baggage for "years, months, days" and we said years, and that we packed them ourselves etc. She put a sticker on the passport. Then we actually checked the bags and got our boarding passes. The wheelchair lady then walked us very fast up elevators and down corridors (where yesterday we just rode the people-mover photo 3) to security. She horned us into the front of the security line.

Here for the second time at Madrid, when my grandson went through the magnetic doorway, it beeped. The procedure seems to be that they ask me how old he is (in Spanish so it takes me awhile to figure out what the question is and then they look at his passport to verify), and then ask my permission to search him. Then they pat him down - they don't use the wand. I don't know why he sets the detector off here as he has not done so anywhere else even wearing the same clothing.

I walked through the doorway and was fine. We did not have to take off our shoes anywhere in Europe. We repackaged ourselves and the lady, walking briskly took us to the gate and said she would be back in 40 minutes. It was now 9:45. They pulled us out of the regular line at 9:00, and with priority handling, it had taken us 45 minutes to get to the gate. So I was glad that I had opted for the wheelchair.

• Disabilities
    • Architecture

• Airplane

by ger4444 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Madrid airport Barajas is located 13 kilometers from the citycentre. The arrival hall of the international terminal is located on groundfloor. from there you can take the metro to all metro stations in Madrid. Outside the airportbuilding the busses arrive, which take 20 minutes to town. the bus starts from Terminal 1 to plaza Colon. they ride every 12 minute and cost 3 euro. There ar also taxis which take 20 minutes and cost approx 15 euro. If you want to fly inside Spain, Iberia has frequent flights to Barcelona. at an automate you can purchase tickets upto 15 minutes before departure. Span Air and Air Nostrum fly between Madrid and the regional capitals.

• Birsen's Profile Photo

New Airport Terminal - Barajas "T4"

by Birsen Updated Apr 4, 2011

T4 new airport

Madrid Barajas Airport (MAD) is Spain's busiest airport, handling more than 40 million passengers a year between Spain's attractive capital city and hundreds of domestic, European and international destinations.

Madrid Barajas International Airport is located 13 kilometres (eight miles) north-east of central Madrid. Road links to all terminals have recently been revamped; the Madrid Metro is easy to access from Terminals 1, 2 and 3 and reasonably easy from Terminal 4; buses provide an effective service; taxis are always available, with a journey time to the centre of Madrid in under 30 minutes, depending on traffic.

• Museum Visits

• Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

Airport to Madrid city center

by Ritchie_Lionheart Updated Apr 4, 2011

Madrid is just about the cheapest place in Europe for airport to city transfers.

Summer 2005 fares :

METRO single ticket to anywhere in central Madrid EUR 1.15
    BUS EUR 1.00 single (no change allowed). bus line 200 goes to Avda de Americas.
    10 (ten) tickets valid on bus or Metro EU 5.80
    TAXI from airport to central Madrid EUR 19 to 22 (approx., check meter)

• ptrim's Profile Photo

Bus to and from Barajas Aiport

by ptrim Updated Nov 19, 2010

I live near line 5 on the metro, and taking the metro to the airport isn't always convenient.

What I do if it's not rush hour (then the metro is the best alternative) is take line 5 metro to Canillejas stop. Then get out at the "Josefa Valcarcel" exit. Straight ahead is a bus stop. Look for the blue bus 200 to terminals 1 - 4, which goes straight to the airport.

If I have a lot of luggage, I take a taxi to Avenida de América, where the same buses from the underground bus terminal there. It's a lot cheaper to do it this way than to take a taxi all the way to or from the airport.

Another day I was running late, so took the metro to Canillejas, then a taxi to the airport, which was only about 10 euros.

The buses also run earlier in the morning than the metro, starting at 5:00 a.m. then leaving every 20 minutes. Be aware they finish at 1130 p.m. earlier than the metro, which closes at 1:30 a.m.

Apparently there is a new express bus line to the airport (203) that runs ALL NIGHT for 2 euros. It also runs from Atocha train station during the day, with only two stops (near Cibeles and O'Donnell metros) during the day. At night it starts at Cibeles (Banco de España metro). The duration of the journey from Atocha train station to the airport is approximately 40 minutes.

See the timetables on: http://www.ctm-madrid.es/. Look under "EMT" and select line 200 or 203 to see the airport times.

Happy travels!

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Airport - Madrid - connection

by MichaelFalk1969 Updated Aug 12, 2012

Barajas Airport has an excellent connection to central Madrid by Metro: take the Metro line 8 direction "Nuevos Ministerios", from where you can change to Lines 1, 9 or 10 to get into the inner city. A tourist day ticket cost about 8,- € (2012).

• chrisdScotland's Profile Photo

Sit in the sun

by chrisdScotland Updated Sep 24, 2008

There might be a delay, keep out the sun cream!

Well it isn't a moving transport tip as such, more a sitting down!
    If you are like me and want to make the most of your sunshine on holiday, right up to the last minute, getting to the airport in plenty of time can be downer.
    DON'T let them tell you there is no place to go but the departure lounge after check-in at Madrid's Barajas airport. Over the road and in line with the far side of security baggage clearance, at terminal 1, there is a lovely little sun trap. But, don't tell everyone!

• MM212's Profile Photo

Barajas

by MM212 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Iberia Terminal at Barajas

Barajas Airport, one of Europe's busiest, is the landing spot for travellers arriving from distant locations. As one would expect in a country that loves creative architecture, Madrid's new Iberia terminal at Barajas is nothing short of amazing (see photo). If you have a choice of carriers, it is worth flying Iberia only to get a chance to see this new architectural marvel!

• Architecture

• spanishl's Profile Photo

Madrid T4 Barajas Airport

by spanishl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Last February the 5th, the new Barajas Terminal T4 and its satellite terminal T4S started to operate. It has more than a kilometer long and it is located in a separated location north of the old T1, T2 and T3 terminals. The building is amazing, very beautiful modern looking architecture, designed and built by Richard Rogers and Antonio Lamela.

Barajas Terminal T4
    All Iberia and Oneworld Alliance flights are using this new terminal. Additionally, some other non affiliated airlines are using it, such as Vueling, Air Nostrum, Aeroflot, Sn Brussels, etc.

Getting to new Barajas terminal T4:

There are free shuttle buses running from Terminal T1, T2 and T3 to the new Terminal 4. Madrid subway (metro) won’t get to the T4 until the end of 2007, but there are metro to terminal T1, T2 and T3 (line 8 ), so you can go there by subway and take the free shuttle
    Another posibility is to go to the “Barajas” line 8 station (not to be confused with Barajas Airport, but the last station on line 8 - Barajas town), and take the 201 bus, but you will have to pay the bus fare, so probably the first option is better in this case.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Madrid

• Jan 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I traveled last week to madrid from Montevideo with my family. We take a private transfer (9€ per person. The service was perfect after 12 h in an airplane! the company is europeshuttle.com