Monuments & highlights, Madrid

by naturechica
  • j-san's Profile Photo

Madrid under construction

by j-san Written Apr 21, 2006

The mayor of Madrid has lost his treasure, so now he is digging the city up. That is what I am told. Madrid is currently COVERED in roadworks, tunnels and lots of noise and dust. The center: Sol is ineccessible to buses and much of traffic has to be diverted to surrounding streets. Around the famous bear statue it is really noisy and dusty.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Viaduct

by DanielF Updated May 1, 2003

This elegant viaduct that leads from the orient palace to the church of Saint Francis the Great over Segovia Street is an important master piece of civil engineering in madrid, but it has a sad story.

This is the place that Madrileño self-killers used to choose in order to fall into the void. Some years ago, glass walls were place that should prevent this practice to continue in the future.

• naturechica's Profile Photo

Main post

by naturechica Written Mar 13, 2003

main post madrid

This is the main post office in madrid. Beautiful isnt it????
    The warning here is to NOT take photos of the building's interior. I tried and got yelled at by a few officers!! OOOPS!
    Also, there are no public restrooms here!! I found that out the hard way too! :)

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Gran Via

by Sharrie Updated Feb 21, 2003

Since I was staying around this area, I had most of my dinner at those restaurants along Gran Via. It was very good barbecued seafood (of all sorts) & I enjoyed them very much! To my surprise, I found this on my 5th day after joining the tour which took me from Madrid to Barcelona, 2 American ladies were narrating to us about their horrible experience! They were robbed at knife point by some young kids & one of them lost her passport along with their American $s! This was such a disgrace... what a start to a marvelous holiday & they spent most of their time trying to contact the American Embassy & arranging for documents to travel home. Another older couple was nearly robbed too! Some guy dropped coins in front of them & another was trying to pickpocket from behind! I WAS SO LUCKY! Was not bothered or tailed at all, even when I was taking the metro & walking to the museums. THANK GOD!

• Sergioalc's Profile Photo

As in all big towns you must...

by Sergioalc Written Aug 26, 2002

As in all big towns you must be aware and ensure that your wallet is in a safe place, specially in touristic places such as the Palace surroungings or around the 'Museo del Prado'.
    Photo: 'Congreso de los Diputados'.

Instant Answers: Madrid