Grycken Travel Guide

  • Slag stone
    Slag stone
    by MalenaN
  • Stjärnsund
    Stjärnsund
    by MalenaN
  • Silvhytteå
    Silvhytteå
    by MalenaN

Grycken Things to Do

  • MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Old fire station, Stj��rnsund 4 more images

    by MalenaN Updated Jun 16, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The most photographed building in Stjärnsund is probably the old fire station. With its whitewashed walls and tower it looks very beautiful where it stands on the shore of a small dam. It is not as old as many other buildings in Stjärnsund, but was built in 1919. Now days the building houses a carpentry workshop.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Smelting house in Silvhytte�� 4 more images

    by MalenaN Updated Jun 11, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Today Silvhytteå is a very quiet place with only a few traces left of the ironworks. It has a beautiful setting between the two lakes Fullen and Grycken and people come here to eat their picnic, walk around or use their canoe on the lakes.

    Silvhytteå means “silver smelting house river”. The name comes from a silver smelting house that was built in the end of the 17th century beside the small waterfall between the lakes. By time iron was produced here instead and in 1787 Stjärnsund iron built a smelting house in Silvhytteå. At this time around 100 persons worked at Silvhytteå ironworks, something that is hard to imagine when you walk around the area today.

    As competition increased the ironworks in Husby Parish merged into Kloster AB. Silvhytteå became part of the company in 1871. But low profitability and poor communication soon led to the closure of Silvhytteå ironworks. Most buildings in the area were then demolished.

    The buildings you can see today is the timber smelting house, a roasting kiln (built in greenish slag stone), a school house and an outhouse. There are also slag stone pillars left from the coalhouse.

    In 1872 a sluice gate was built between Fullen and Grycken and it is still working.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Church of Stj��rnsund 4 more images

    by MalenaN Written Jun 11, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The present church was constructed between 1885 - 1887 and it was designed by the architect Herman Holmgren (he also designed the Uppsala University main building). In the mid 1950s the church was repaired and it then got the three beautiful stained glass windows in the sanctuary. The stained glass windows were made by the artist Anders Gabrielsson and depict the birth, the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus.

    Stjärnsund Church is a popular wedding church, and there are also concerts held there.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Grycken

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

82 travelers online now

Comments

Grycken Travel Guide
Map of Grycken

View all Grycken hotels