Fun things to do in Dalarnas Län

Hens

Most Viewed Things to Do in Dalarnas Län

Färnebofjärden National Park

by sim1 Written Jan 7, 2007

Färnebofjärden is a National Park that protects a stretch of the Lower Dalälven River running from the city of Avesta to the Bothnian Sea. Water is the main feature of this park and water is what you will see here. Flooded areas, wetlands, streams and lakes, and of course wildlife, birds, forests and flowers. But mainly water.......... a beautiful sight to see, but it makes the area rather hard to access. The best way to enjoy Färnebofjärden would probably be by boat (which you can rent in the area), or by hiking on the edges of the park.

I arrived late afternoon at the park, very early in the season, with no people around yet. We were allowed to put up our little tent on the beach (an advantage of travelling off season), from where we had the most beautiful views over the waters of the Dalälven and Färnebofjärden National Park. The sun was going down, turning the sky into a work of art, but there was still enough light and time for a short walk along the shores. While walking on the beach we could see a deer quickly making its way over one of the wetlands, we heard the cry of a bird in the distance and the sound of a woodpecker in the tree above. The water was washing gently up the shore, the glittering of the sun in the water, a soft breeze, and the wonderful sound of 'silence'. This is how I remember Färnebofjärden, and how I liked it at its best.

Färnebofjärden is another of Swedens wonderful National Parks. I think I love all the National Parks, some just a bit more then others. Färnebofjärden is certainly not on the top of my list, as the access to the park isn’t so easy, making it a bit harder to enjoy. But the memories of this wonderful evening will always stay, so I guess the park did manage to capture a place in my heart.

More on my Färnebofjärden page

F��rnebofj��rden National Park F��rnebofj��rden National Park F��rnebofj��rden National Park
    • Kayaking

Sälen, Hiking in the Fjällen

by sim1 Updated Dec 25, 2006

älen is known as a winter sport area, but I visited it during the summer, and I didn't regret it! It's a beautiful place to do some hiking on top of the mountains. The great thing to do is to take one of the ski lifts that bring you up to the top of the mountain. That saves you the steep hike to get to the top of the fjällen (mountain). From here you can take one of the many hiking trails and enjoy a day (or more) hiking through the area.

If you like to stay overnight that is no problem, you can take your tent with you in your backpack. It is allowed to camp for free in this area. This is part of what they call the 'Allemansrätt' in Sweden.

S��len S��len

Njupeskär, The highest waterfall in Sweden

by sim1 Updated Dec 25, 2006

The Njupeskär is the highest waterfall in Sweden and I was really looking forward in going here. But the waterfall itself wasn't the thing that charmed me; it was the beauty of the rest of the Fulufjället National Park that amazed me.

The hike to the waterfall is easy although quite exhausting as it climbs up and down over a hill. But the trail is over boardwalk and lots of stairs most of the time, so it's not very difficult to do. I can't remember exactly, but I think it is a 3 kilometres roundtrip to get to the falls. I expected it to be relatively quiet, as I hadn't seen that many people around on my other hikes. But I found out where they were.... at the base of the Njupekär waterfall :-( It was very crowded here, and that really took away from the charm of the waterfall. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I made myself a promise.... I want to see the waterfall in the winter. I really wonder what it looks like during that time of year. It must be amazing to see it all frozen, hahaha, and probably not with that many people around because of the winter season!

Fulufjället National Park

by sim1 Updated Dec 25, 2006

Fulufjället National Park is a beautiful place! I had a great day hiking here and I would love to go back to make a longer trip through the park. It is actually a very 'new' National Park in Sweden; it got its status in the spring of 2002. But wow, it deserves it!

Fulufjället National Park is one of the few areas in Southern Sweden that has been unspoilt by exploitation. Fulufjäll is not a typical mountain range, but actually a plateau, 35 km long and 15 km wide plateau at a height of 1,000 m. The plateau is surrounded by steep slopes and narrow ravines. The Njupeskär waterfall is in the north east of the park and it is this part of the park that I hiked.

You'll be amazed how quiet it is though, once you get away from the waterfall. It is so quiet, so tranquil. To me it was just amazing. I had only one day to hike here, but I could easily have stayed much longer. And I know I will be back here to do a longer hiking trip, and discover this gorgeous area for several days.

Fulufj��llet National Park

17 Reviews - 116 Photos
Gesunda Hotels
2 Reviews - 11 Photos

Instant Answers: Dalarnas Län

Comments

Dalarnas Län Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Dalarnas Län things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dalarnas Län sightseeing.
Map of Dalarnas Län