Bergdala Travel Guide

Bergdala glass factory

Bergdala Things to Do

Bergdala glass factory 3 more images

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Among the glass works factories I visited in Sweden in 2009, Bergdala was clearly my favourite. It is fascinating to watch the guys making the plates and cups and jugs. Or these happy angels, simple but beautiful. Bergdala is pretty easy to visit, there is no entry fee and no specific “procedure” for visitors as it is in the big factories of Kosta and Boda, but that makes it even more intimate to watch the processes. Only make sure you are not in the way when the men walk around with the hot glass melt.

Entry to the factory: no fee.

General recommendations about visiting glass works factories:
    * Look at their websites first to get an idea of what they are famous for. Then it is easier to choose which one you would like to visit.
    * Take into account that the workers work from 7 a.m. to latest 4 p.m., so you might like to get up early in case you want to visit several during one day.
    * Plan some time for shopping. Make notes of what you would like to buy before you go. You will be overwhelmed by the selections anyhow, so it is good to know what to expect.
    * When you visit a factory, please ask if it is allowed to take photos. In several cases it is not allowed due to the legitimate fear of the usual “dragonland” counterfeits. If you take photos, use the “sport” setting on your camera. Be aware that the light conditions inside the factories are often not good for taking photos. Try and avoid flash when the guys are working on the objects (it distracts them).
    * Wear light clothes: it can be very hot inside. And don’t wear your Sunday dress and shoes, it might be dirty inside. The workplaces are cleaned in the evening but not every hour or so.
    * Consider to buy the Glass Pass, in case you want to visit more factories. It costs only 95 SEK (status of 2011) and allows you free entrance to any of the glass factories, a 10% discount on any purchase above 500 SEK, plus discounts at many other shops, museums, accommodation, restaurants, activities (like blowing glass on your own).

Location of Bergdala on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., April 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Luxury Travel

Bergdala Restaurants

Bergdala restaurant, sm��rg��s

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

As already mentioned in my accommodation tip, Bergdala’s Wärdshus has a restaurant as well and it is the place to have breakfast when you stay with them. They also serve dinner and snacks. Monica Nystrand and her daughter Annette Hallberg are divine cooks. They write in their brochure that they only use ecological or organic ingredients which makes it a real pleasure to eat here. Breakfast was always delicious and the dinner as well. I had chicken with potatos which tasted good. But the best was their smörgås (see photo). It was always fresh with either crabs (räk) or herring (sill) on dark bread and salad. I couldn’t get enough of these and had 1-2 per day, mostly in the evening when I came home from my “glass hunts”.
    Smörgås was 40 SEK (July 2009), my dinner with salad and half a litre of milk came to 150 SEK. Oh yes, I should mention that they also serve milk, but then this is Sweden where milk on the menu is normal. When it is sunny, you can sit outside, surrounded by flowers in countless pots, which adds to the fun of being here.

Directions:
    Drive east from Växjö, road 32. After the village of Hovmantorp, look for the brown sign that says “Bergdala Glasbruk” and turn north (left). Follow the road for approx. 5 km and then turn left (west) at the next sign. It is directly on the right side of the road then. Reception for the wärdshus is in the restaurant building.

Bergdala Shopping

The best way to start the morning :-) 2 more images

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

It is easy to fall in love with Bergdala’s simple blåkant plates (blåkant = blue rim) and dishes because of the intense blue colour. That’s what happened to me before I travelled to Sweden and that’s why shopping at Bergdala was very high on my wishlist. Already before I bought some of these, I could get an idea how it feels to eat morning cereals in the bowls and pour milk from the carafes because Bergdala’s Wärdshus, where I stayed and had breakfast, uses most of these as dishware.
    Bergdala’s shop is rather small compared to the one at Kosta but this makes it easier to compare what you really want. At the end, I have decided to buy bowls, carafes and these cute milk bottles and milk cans. When I compared the prices I paid with the ones of a Swedish distributor, I was amazed of how much I saved! And in addition to buy directly in an outlet, I got 10% off with the glass pass! I am well aware that the prices seem high, but this became understandable I watched how these things are made in the glass factory next door.

More photos of their work in my Bergdala albums.

Prices for comparison (Bergdala prices with 10% additional glass pass discount):
    Bowls, diametre 15 cm: 200 SEK at Bergdala, 325 SEK at the distributor,
    Milk can, 12 cm height: 373 SEK at Bergdala, 625 SEK at the distributor,
    Carafe, 1 litre: 328 SEK at Bergdala, 525 SEK at the ditributor.

Look at the prices of Bergdala’s distributorLM-Karlsson, left navigation menu “Bergdala” and then “Blå kant serien”.

Now add the prices for an international overseas ditributor and you know that it is a lot you save when buying directly at Bergdala. I will be back……

Currency converter

Directions:
    Drive east from Växjö, road 32. After the village of Hovmantorp, look for the brown sign that says “Bergdala Glasbruk” and turn north (left). Follow the road for approx. 5 km and then turn left (west) at the next sign. It is directly on the right side of the road.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Bergdala

Comments

Bergdala Travel Guide
Map of Bergdala