Transjö Travel Guide

Transjö Shopping

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Vase at Transj�� Hytta 4 more images

by Trekki Updated Apr 19, 2011

I am so grateful to Klas Nystrand of Bergdala’s Wärdshus (my accommodation) for having suggested that I should visit this glass workers! He said that they have the best of all glass work. And in my opinion they have indeed. In the meantime, I have regained a bit of knowledge about the chemical-physical background of glassblowing, that’s why I claim to be a bit in a position to judge. But for Transjö Hytta it is more than only their work, it is also the surrounding. They are located off the main road, accessible only by a small unpaved road, a river and lake next to them, surrounded by birch trees – something like a paradise! Unfortunately, they were not working (but start again in September) but this tip is about the shopping possibilities. You can buy work made by the masters Jan-Erik Ritzman or Sven-Åke Carlsson or by one of their students. As far as I could see and judge, the prices of the students’ work is equal compared to the ones of the masters, which seems good. And the students are really excellent as well. It was difficult decide which object I liked best. Given the prices, I wasn’t sure first if buying would maybe ruin me, but then I saw this vase and completely forgot about prices.. It is the vase “Konfekt” in yellow, something like love at the first sight. I loved the way, the traditional Venetian/Murano technique of millefiori was combined with a polkagris type of technique and the very vivid colours. Other really interesting glass objects were paperweights of different size and style, masks (sorry, no photo, because I don’t want to put them into trouble and see their special work being copied in dragonland…). I especially liked the ”Marina” series. It is fascinating to think about how they get the fish into the glass. I found out how they do it for some of the objects, but the majority of the work is still a mystery to me. Which is good, because that’s part of their secret and the fascination for us customers to admire the work.

Ok, prices. As I already mentioned, they are not cheap. It is a lot of work and a lot of experimenting with the techniques, the fish for example. As far as I could see, no object was less than 1000 SEK. But it is well worth the money, because it is unique art work. And I am sure that once I watch how they work, I would even more appreciate their art, more than I already do by only visiting their shop.

More photos of their work in my Transjö album.

Directions:
    Transjö Hytta is located east of Växjo and south of Kosta Hytta. From Växjö, drive road 25 eastward until the village of Eriksmala. Turn north (left) here at the roundabout and watch the sign “Transjö”. It is on the right side of the road, approx. 1 km off the road.

Location of Transjö Glassworks on Google Maps

What to buy: Update, April 2011:
    I just found a cute video in a Swedish kids' channel about Transjö's glass work. It is in Swedish, but that's not important, since it shows how two of the specific works are made, including the vases as in photo 3:
    Transjö glass work video.

What to pay: Currency converter

• Photography
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Transjö

Comments

Transjö Travel Guide
Map of Transjö