In Carl Johans park there are a famous cactus group where every year 25 000 cactuses are planted in a yearly changing pattern. This custom is almost a hundred years old.
This year it celebrates that one of Norrk?pings soccer teams celebrate their 100th year anniversery.
Värmekyrkan (Church of Warmth or Heating) is an old industrial furnace that has been renovated and turned into an entertainment local where conserts, trade fairs and exhibitions are held.
It's name comes from the large open space inside that resembles a cathedral.
The Tube (Tuben) is an 3 meter wide old steel water pipe to a water power plant that has been preserved, the walls of the cylinder has been cut up to form a passage along the great waterfall.
The waterfall it runs along is over 100 meters wide and at night it is lit up from behind in a myriad of colors. One of the most dramatic and beautiful sights in Norrköping.
On an island in the Motala River lies the newly contructed Louis de Geer Concert Hall, named after the famous dutch industrialist. It was from the beginning a huge paper mill from the 17th century, iIt was renovated and turned into a Concert and Congress Hall.
It is one of Sweden's best Concert Halls and one of the most fascinating and interesting buildings. A visit to Norrk?ping is not complete without having a look on this amazing building.
In december every year on top of the old industrial building Värmekyrkan (The Heating Church) is the world's largest advent candlestick. The tradition started in 2000. Every sunday starting from the first of advent one "candle" is lit until all four is lit up at christmas.
It was the follow-up of the world's largest Santa Claus Cap that was placed over the City Hall tower the prevoius year (it blew of during a storm).
Norrköping has the second largest collection of rock carvings from the bronze age (1800 b.C. to 500 b.C.) in Sweden. There are a total of 7000 rock carvings spread in a 1,5*1,5 km area with the largest concentration in Himmelstalund.
If you happen to walk across Bergsbron in Norrköping you might notice a single chimney standing in the middle of the river looking like it's sinking or rising depending on your personality.
It's not really a real chimney, it was a gift to the new university in Norrköping by the city of Norrköping.
It's meaning is open for interpretation, some think it's a sad symbol for all the industrial shut-downs as the last chimney slowly sinks below the running water.
Some think of it as an old symbol rising out of the water as the university and the newly started companys located in the old industrial building's around it starts to come alive again.
take a look and decide for yourself.
The Museum of Work is located in one of Sweden's most beautiful buildings Strykjärnet (the Iron). The name comes from it's unusual shape (it has 7 corners) and was designed to follow the shape of the island it's built upon. In 2001 it was voted the second most beautiful building in all of Sweden in a national competion.
The Museum of Work has free entrance and has about 7 exihibitions running at the same time.
Not to forget there's a great restuarant at the top floor with great food, the lunch buffé is especially good. We used to get together and eat lunch there at the end of the week when I went to the university.
Started by walloon entrepreneur Louis De Geer (who has since lent his name to many things in town), the textile and paper mills and other industries here had their heydays in the 19th century but the last one didn't close until well into the 20th century and still today, there is life here in the form of museums and university buildings amongst the ever present cascades and pools of water. Especially interesting if you enjoy photography with industrial buildings, water reflexions and colours.
The appropriately placed museum of working life always has interesting exhibitions on work of all kinds (so not just heavy industry) but also a good museum shop. It is in a very famous building called Strykjärnet - "the iron" and you can easily see why. Better than the one in New York I say :-)
Norrköpings old Water Tower is locaded in Ektorp not far from Norrköping city center. The Water Tower was build in 1904 to 1907. The Tower is 45 meters high and 13 stories high. Now the Water Tower is rebuilt to student apartments, there are a total of 62 apartments for students.
Along the banks of the Motala river within Norrköpings inner city lies Arbetets museum (Museum of Work), entirely surrounded by water. The building was built 1917 as a textile mill on the Laxholmen island. Because of its shape it was soon given the nickname “The flat-iron”. Arbetets museum is a national museum of modern life that engages, entertains and touches visitors. Working conditions past and present are depicted in seven floors of constantly updated displays. Documentary photography is of central importance to Arbetets museum and the old attic is now our exhibition hall for displaying documentary photographs.The museum also has a national responsibility for working life museum in Sweden. At the museum there is a library, a restaurant with a magnificent view, a café and a shop.
On this place where the church stands is a lot of history. The first stone was laid in April 14:th 1614 but because of lack of money and pleigh the church was finished in 1626.
By the Russian atack in 1719 the church was burned down to the ground. In June 13:th 1766 was the first stone laid to the pressent church today. In December 20, 1767 was the church finished.
This is only a short short version of this churches history. For comple history wisit the website.
The first time this cactus display was shown was in the beginning of the 1900. The arrangement was very much appreciated, so much so, that a couple of years later it become an annual display. Approximately 25 000 cactuses are planted at the beginning of June every year. The display itself is changed from year to year, depicting a theme which is of particular interest for that particular year. No two years are ever the same.
The famous Hällrinstningarna - rock carvings - at Himmelstalund are located on a couple of gently sloping hills in the middle of a park and leisure area.
There was once an old farming community located here. There are 57 stones and about 1650 figures carved onto these surfaces. They are one of two large rock carving collections found in the country.
These carvings show a rich variety of motives. The most common is that of the ship, there are 650 of these, after that come the animal figures, and the elf stones, around 260 each of these motives. The most prominent is the figure of a man, footprints, different weapons and sun symbols. Unique for the area is the number of large paw figures of unknown meaning, and also a road with 25 paw marks from a bear.