Know about this? Rate It!
The Limhamn quarry only closed a few years ago and today you can stand at the viewpoint near Limhamn Church and look at what was one of Europe's biggest quarries - equal to 165 football grounds! The lime was taken to the factory in Limhamn village to be processed but that too has closed now of course.
Today, local nature experts run walks down the quarry but you have to book in advance and they are very rare (usually advertised in the paper a few weeks before). This is since a lot of rare animals have found a safe haven here now, and falcons, unusual frogs and all sorts thrive!
- Hiking and Walking
Not off the beaten path to those of you staying at Malmö Camping or bringing your own boat, but not many tourists find their way to the former fishing village which is now incorporated into Malmö itself. Limhamn is a wealthy part of Malmö and along the seafront you will see some expensive villas, but it still has a relaxed atmosphere in the old village centre around the square, with typical Scanian cottages in the shadow of the famous former cement factory that gave prosperity to the village as it dealt with the limestone from the quarry in the previous tip, and other ones in the area. Malmö Yacht Club with its many jetties is a wonderful area to stroll around for great views of the Öresund Bridge and, in good weather, the chimney stacks of Copenhagen. The centre of Limhamn also has plenty of good restaurants as people have money to spend here. See my Limhamn page for more images and information.
- Food and Dining
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Malmö Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Cordelia Junction Hotels
- Castle Danger Hotels
- Santorini Island
- Seremban Hotels
- Sevana Lich Hotels
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path