Parks & canals, Malmö

Park Map

Check out all the Sculptures in Malmo

by bpacker Updated Aug 14, 2005

Honey, I think I left the iron in the park

I know Malmö is called the city of Parks, but I'd rather call it the city of sculptures. There's lots of great artworks scattered around the city and waiting to be appreciated. If I were you, I'd print a couple of the artworks from my travelogue and hunt down the pieces in the city. Show the pictures to the locals and ask for directions. My bet is that you'll not only find the pieces but make plenty of friends by the end of the day.

Visiting a $26m library and getting free emails

by bpacker Updated Apr 4, 2011

Malm�� Stadsbibliotek

I don't know why the Malmö Stadsbibliotek isn't featured as an attraction but any library that cost US$26m to build is worth visiting. Admitedly, Liz and I didn't know the actual cost of the Malmö City Library when we visited , neither did we know that the beautiful building was a library till we saw the sign "Stadsbibliotek". Since the word looked somewhat similar to the French word for library, we popped in here for the free email service, the sad cheapskates that we were. But as soon we visited the place, our breath was taken away. The library was so beautiful with the high lofty ceilings! Also, the high windows faced the park so there was plenty of sunlight and greenery. Come here to admire the beautiful architecture and ahem for the free email. All you need to do is to write your name in a book and wait for your turn.

Opening Hours
    Mon-Thurs 10-19
    Friday 10-18
    Sat 11-15

The windmill in Kungsparken

by bpacker Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Windmill of Kungsparken

Now, other than this lousy shot of the windmill in Kungsparken and the chap suntanning on the homepage, I don't have other fantastic green shots to show for my checking out of the gardens and parks in Malmo. I'm more an arts person. Do yourself a favour and click on the link below. You'll find out why Malmo is called the city of Parks.

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo

Park yourself in a park in green Malmö

by Pixiekatten Written Oct 20, 2006

Folkets Park'06 - Sweden playing on the big screen

Spring and summer is best spent in the park. Bring friends, family, a freesbee, a bottle of wine or a few chilled beers and a picnic-basket and you're sorted. There's many great parks in Malmö. And "malmöiterna" (the habbitants in Malmö) love to hang out here. All day long until the sun goes down.

Summer 2006 was specially great since football was on and big screens were showing the games in parks or squares.

Most popular parks would be
    - Folkets Park (here you find childrens rides, kiosks, a mini zoo, bars and restaurants...etc)
    - Slottsparken (right in the city centre, near the library. Very beautiful with ponds and a walkingtrail)
    But just walking around Malmö you will discover there are green areas almost all over the city.

• Singles

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Pildammsparken

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 14, 2004

Pildammsparken

Malmo has some nice parks, the largest of them is Pildammsparken (The Willow Lake). The park with a former water tower originates from the Baltic exhibition in 1914. During summer-time the park is a nice area for a stroll to see countless plants and waterbirds.

• Trains

A Closer Look - Tear Drops

by littlesam1 Updated Oct 14, 2005

The Swedish Melancholy

Walking back from the canal I walked past the statue once more. At a closer look I noticed the sun was shining and picking up a reflection from something on the statues face. I walked a little closer to see what the sun was shining on and noticed the statue had tears. There was water hooked up to the statue that was allowing tears to flow out of one of the eyes of the statue. You can see the tears here in the close up. Suddenly the statue took on an entirely different meaning to me. I could not find any information written on the statue so I have no explanation for the tears. I just know that it left an image in my memory that I will never forget. Had I not been alone I probably would never have noticed the tears and would have walked right past the statue.

My friend Charlotta (VT member sjalen) provided me with this information on the crying man statue:

"The crying statue is called "The Swedish Melancholy" and the lady who made it is married to a very famous and loved actor who is the model she used! He also does lots of comedy actually."

Many thanks for the information Charlotta.

Canal tour

by Sjalen Updated Feb 25, 2004

A trip around the Malmö canals will set you back SEK 75 and lasts 50 minutes. Why you should go on it? Because the captains/guides are funny and the owner family which took over "Rundan" some years ago are very friendly. In the ticket office you can also buy a hamper full of coffee and cake for your trip :-) And yes you do learn things about Malmö too whilst cruising along the very green city. If you fancy a canal tour by your own machine, just rent a pedalo boat from the quays behind Stortorget instead (see my sports tips).

• Sailing and Boating

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

Canals

by diocletianvs Updated Dec 14, 2003

Old center of Malmö is surrounded by canals that offer nice views of the different parts of the city or a good opportunity for a nice walk.
    "Rundan" canal boats organizes guided boat tours in Swedish, German or English from April till October. The trip lasts 45 minutes and takes you around centre and through some of the beautiful Malmö's parks. Boats leave from the canal opposite the Railway station.

Sweden's park city

by Sjalen Updated Sep 30, 2010

Slottsm��llan

Malmö is known as "Parkernas stad" in Swedish which means City of Parks. It was long said to have more parks than anywhere else in the country, but this is not true. What is true however, is that because of the compactness of Malmö the parks are very present and visible so it appears quite green. This is the mill in Kungsparken, near Malmöhus Castle and the city library. It borders Slottsparken (the old castle park) which has a herb garden with a cafe in summer as well as parts of the canal running through it. These parks are sometimes used during the Malmö Festival and other events such as Midsummer. Even bigger is Pildammsparken behind the opera - a park with a rose garden, restaurant, open air "natural amphitheatre" and big ponds where people feed birds (and even skate on really cold winters). Pildammsparken also lies between Malmö IP sports ground where there is premier league ladies football, and the Stadium area with mens football and with athletics so it is an extremely popular park to run in. You can see many more park images in the travelogue below.

• Adventure Travel
    • Birdwatching

All Alone In Malmo

Lonely Statue

I travel each year with the other guy in the hat you see on a lot of my pages. He was attending a professional meeting Copenhagen this year while I took a day trip to Malmo. Its nice to have a day to yourself when traveling with a friend or partner. But I find I get lonely and enjoy the company of someone else many times. My day in Malmo was perfect. But after a few hours I tired of walking alone with no one talk with and share the experience with me. I came across this little life size statue just outside of Raul Wallenberg Park. I took a brief look at him while I walkedalong the canels and thought he looked about alone as I felt at the moment. So I took a picture to remember the moment and walked on.

Lunch Time in the Sun

by littlesam1 Updated May 6, 2005

My first day in Malmo was one of the first warm days of the spring season in Sweden so people tended to be outside enjoying the warm weather after a long winter. Here I found people enjoying lunch from one of the many small restaurants along the canel while soaking in some rays from the sun. I can imagine the steps are covered with locals and tourists in the summer months.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Malmo Canals

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 18, 2006

Canal in Malm��

Like Amsterdam, Malmö is a city partially defined by its canals. The city is surrounded by a series of canals that really add to Malmö's history, charm and character. Much of the canal-side area is full of nice, little restaurants and cafes. The canals also run through Malmö's main parks near Malmöhus.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Still Wandering - Kungsparken

by johngayton Written Mar 15, 2012

More Amusement In Malmo

Having found the docks, bought and written my postcard and visited the three squares I still didn't feel that I'd earned my beer and so continued my wanderings. I saw a park at the end of the street (as opposed to light at the end of the tunnel) and so let my feet do the lead.

This turned out to be the Kungsparken (which obviously translates as "Kings Park"). Minutes from the city centre this was yet another addition to my sense of Malmo's spaciousness with its canals, windmill and the ducks leisurely enjoying the relative calm of what is a very pleasantly laid-out public space.

I still didn't know where I was going but having the park almost to myself my feet continued their lead.

Which brought me to the Malmohus - WOW! This was where thoughts of beer temporarily, figuratively, flew out of the window. See next tip for details.

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

Cat company

by Sjalen Written Jul 1, 2003

Sit on the steps down to the canal behind Stortorget but don't blame me when you jump ten feet in the air as you spot the first cat...and then another one...They are sculptures in natural size and put there to give you company :-)

Malmo - Canals

by littlesam1 Updated May 6, 2005

Malmo is known as the city of parks. There are many parks to enjoy and also the beautiful canals. I walked along the canals for several blocks enjoying the view. The statue of the crying man was located not far from this location.

Instant Answers: Malmö