Trelleborg Travel Guide

My wife with Amalfi in the background
    by CarlGustaf

Trelleborg Things to Do

by Sjalen Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trelleborg was once one of the main settlements for the Danish vikings and that is why they built a so called trelleborg in the first place (compare it to the more famous one in Denmark). The fortress then gave the town its name. The wooden structure is quite impressive but it's a bit disappointing that nothing has been done beyond it, to show viking life. There is only an old house by the entrance, showing viking- and early medieval home life, and with a decent souvenir shop. Having said all this, no one actually LIVED in the fortress, it was solely used for defense of the marshlands that was the Scanian coast in viking times. When the viking era ended, Trelleborg was abandoned for a couple of centuries due to pirates roaming the coast and pillaging (and you thought the vikings were pillaging!?). In fact, the whole coastline down here laid empty during that time of fear, until the Danish kind had had enough and let his own vasalls chase away the bandits and then do the piracy themselves in a more orderly manner :)))

• Architecture

by Sjalen Written Oct 2, 2004

The tiny harbour village of Smygehamn (see page) holds Sweden's southernmost little peninsula Smygehuk. Only 20 kilometres east of Trelleborg and easily reached by bus or car, it is a nice place to spend half a day or so, eating smoked fish, climbing the little lighthouse and looking at the distance signs...

• Beaches

Good for: Solo

Trelleborg Restaurants

• CarlGustaf's Profile Photo

by CarlGustaf Written Aug 8, 2009

Between the Swedish southern cities, Trelleborg and Ystad you will find Beddingstrand. This small town is mainly a road with some houses that one could pass in 5 minutes. However the beach is very nice here, and there is also an Italian pizzeria, Amalfi's, one that we tried to eat at to conclude a day on the beach, Beddingestrand.

We wanted to sit outside and everything was booked! Luckily we got a place to sit down (the place is small) if we promised we'd be out before the Ahlgren's would arrive at 19.30. We were there 17.30, so we promised we would be out before that time. I ordered pizza Hawaii (ham + pineapple) and my wife had the Spaghetti Bolognese. On the side, Garlic bread. The service was above average. I guess the young waitress (18/19/20 yoa) wanted to so many other things on a Saturday night with 25 degrees celcius. We had to wait a bit for our orders, but there were many people which is probably the reason.

Now the pizza was not bad at all. Maybe it was because I have had way too many bad pizzas, and you can find that a lot in our hometown, and usually I do not like the pizzas they make in Sweden. The price of the pizza was 70 SEK and that is above average for a pizza, but then again it was a restaurant and you would expect a little more from your pizza when the price is higher. My wife said the Bolognese was too salty, but I had a bite, and I was quite satisfied with the taste.

So Amalfi's is a good way to end a long day at the beach!

Favorite Dish: I have only had a pizza and that one was above average, not the best and not the worst.

My wife with Amalfi in the background

Trelleborg Transportation

by Sjalen Written Oct 2, 2004

The train station in this picture shows Trelleborg's significance as a transport hub. The size of the station is huge compared to the size of the town, and you can see the signs telling you where to get in lane for the different German ferries. Scandlines to Sassnitz and Rostock, and TT Line to Travemunde and Rostock.

This is also the route for the night trains between Malmö and Berlin which are put on a ferry.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Trains

Instant Answers: Trelleborg

Comments

Trelleborg Travel Guide
Map of Trelleborg