Björsund Off The Beaten Path

Strängnäs

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Björsund

Strängnäs

Str��ngn��s

Lake Söderfjärden is located between the cities of Strängnäs and Eskilstuna. In these off the beathen path tips I want to show you a few places that are right around the corner from the lake. And let me start with the city of Strängnäs

Strängnäs is a quiet little town in the beautiful lake area of the Mälaren, west of Stockholm. It's not really a tourist destination, but some parts of the city are nice to visit.

The history of Strängnäs dates back to the Viking era. Strängnäs is actually one of Sweden's oldest towns and has played an important role as a church administrative centre in the middle Ages.

Unfortunately large parts of Strängnäs were destroyed by fire in 1871, but luckily some areas were spared. These are the parts of the town that are worth looking at. One area is around the old windmill, and the other is the cathedral. Around the windmill and the cathedral you can still find some of the old houses. The Cathedral is an absolute must see when you are in Strängnäs, so don't miss it when you go here!

There is a little harbour in Strängnäs that gives the city a nice atmosphere. I've only done a quick visit to the city, but I did spend some time in the cathedral.

You can read much more about the cathedral on my Strängnäs page

Eskilstuna

Eskilstuna is west of Lake Söderfjärden and it is the city where I live closest to. It is the place where I go for my shopping, where I study, visit the library, where I like to go out for dinner, etc, etc.

Eskilstuna is a very old place. The area around Eskilstuna was already well known during the Vikings. But having said that, I have to admit that Eskilstuna is not a real tourist destination, but it has some nice places. My favourite of all is the Fors Kyrka (Fors Church). This church in Eskilstuna is really worth a visit. The Fors Church was built in the 11th century on same place as a wooden church used by bishop Eskil from England.

Besides the Fors Kyrka you can visit the Klosterkyrka, a much more modern church, but with a nice atmosphere. Don't forget to take a look at the sculpture 'Hand of God' by Miles, Take a look at the work of the glassblowers at 'Tingsgården", visit the historic area of "Rademachersmedjorna" or maybe drop by at the Faktorimuseet.

you can read about all these place and more on my Eskilstuna page

Sundbyholm

View over Lake M��laren at Sundbyholm

This is where I live! Sundbyholm! It is located on Lake Mälaren, a beautiful lake in the middle of Sweden. It has a little recreation area located right here at the lake. For me it means a nice place to walk to (it is only 10 minutes to go here) and relax. It has its charm as well in the summer as in the winter. Somehow the lake always looks wonderful. I love to watch the sunset over the lake and I try to take pictures of that whenever I can; as you can see in the photo.

There is also a little harbour here and even a castle! Sundbyholm castle has now turned into a restaurant but it is still a wonderful house to see. Sundbyholm is just a little dot on the map, some houses at the lake, a castle and a little harbour. But for me it is home and I absolutely love it here.

you can read more about this destination on my Sundby page

Sigurdsristningen

The Sigurdsristning is a special place with a lot of history. You can see it on the side of a quiet road, somewhere in between the trees. A little sign tells you where it is, and when you climb up the rock you see this: A huge rock with carved pictures surrounded by runic inscriptions. But what you feel is history, and lots of it. I find it an amazing place. It feels special to be here, where so many centuries ago someone was telling a story of a distinguished Viking family, by making these carvings in these rocks.

It’s an important historic place, but it is unprotected, it is just ‘there’ in the woods. And maybe that makes it even more special. I always feel peaceful when I am here, I don’t know why, I just feel at ease. The carvings are only a 5 minutes walk from my house. I don’t go here often though. Maybe it is because I want to keep it ‘special’, a place to visit so now and than and have that great feeling to connect with history.

The Sigurdsristningen are close to the city of Eskilstuna, about 1 1/2 west of Stockholm.

You can read all about the Sigurdsristningen on my Sundby

Instant Answers: Björsund

Comments

Björsund Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Björsund off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Björsund sightseeing.