Fun things to do in Södermanlands Län

Most Viewed Things to Do in Södermanlands Län

Brandt Contemporary Glass

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

For me the main attraction of Torshälla is "Åsa Brandt". She is a glass artist and she has her workplace, shop and gallery here in Torshälla. She does wonders with glass! And I can really recommend making a stop here when you are interested seeing some of her work. Her works involves everything from beautiful glasswork, vases to more real "works of art".

Åsa Brandt is quite famous and her work is displayed all over the world, like at the Nationalmuseum in Stockholm, The National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo and the Kunstmuseum in Düsseldorf.

I wish I could show you some of her work but unfortunately I don't have a photo of it. So instead I'll show you this windmill that you can see opposite the gallery. Åsa Brandt is a well known artist and it shouldn't be a problem to find her gallery. It is located on top of the highest hill in Torshälla. You can always ask people to point out directions to you as everyone knows where it is.

The Factori Museet in Eskilstuna

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice fun museum in Eskilstuna is the Factori Museet. And its for free, hahaha, so that's always good! :-) The museum is worth the visit when you are in town, so don't hesitate to drop in and have a look around for yourself.

The museum is divided into several parts, and one of them tells you all about the steam engine. It's quite logical to have this section in the museum as Eskilstuna has a rich industrial history. There are quite a few of these steam engines on display, when you're lucky you can see them at work as well. They were not working when I was there though (probably because I was here off-season), hahaha, so it was nice and quiet :-)

Besides steam-engines and trains there is also a section devoted to the history of Eskilstuna. I really enjoy this part, and have been back here several times.

The museum is located in the city centre on a little island in the river Eskilstunaån. It is open from Tuesday till Sunday, from 11 o’clock in the morning until 4 in the afternoon.

You can read more about the Faktorimuseet on my Eskilstuna page

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Castles in Södermanland region.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 18, 2010

In Mariefred you have the very beautiful castle, and it is a very touristic attraction and when you think about Gripsholms castle, you definatelly think about Mariefred. During the high season from May to September the castle offer guided tours through the castle and then also on special days. You find further information on my page about Mariefred.

• Architecture
    • Archeology
    • Castles and Palaces

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Churches in Södermanland.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 18, 2010

In Eskilstuna you have two important churches, Kloster church and Fors church. You find these churches in the center of Eskilstuna city. For more information, go and read about them on my Eskilstuna pages.

Strängnäs Dome is situated in the center of the city.

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

Meet the Vikings at Sigurdsristningen

by sim1 Updated Mar 3, 2008

The Sigurdsristning is a special place with a lot of history. You can see it on the side of a quiet road, somewhere in between the trees. A little sign tells you where it is, and when you climb up the rock you see this: A huge rock with carved pictures surrounded by runic inscriptions. But what you feel is history, and lots of it. I find it an amazing place. It feels special to be here, where so many centuries ago someone was telling a story of a distinguished Viking family, by making these carvings in these rocks.

It’s an important historic place, but it is unprotected, it is just ‘there’ in the woods. And maybe that makes it even more special. I always feel peaceful when I am here, I don’t know why, I just feel at ease. The carvings are only a 5 minutes walk from my house. I don’t go here often though. Maybe it is because I want to keep it ‘special’, a place to visit so now and than and have that great feeling to connect with history.

To get a great overview of the area: take a look at this link to get a 3-d overview and also a 3-d close-up of the carvings.

You can read all about the Sigurdsristningen on my Sundby page

• Eco-Tourism
    • Photography

• sssake's Profile Photo

Visit the fairytale path Sagostigen

by sssake Updated Dec 23, 2007

This activity is much fun for the kids and the fairytale path is a walk where you pass by small cottages where you can recognize your favourite fairytale figures.

There are also playgrounds, theater, animals, pony riding and a picnic area.

Because the site is in middle of nowhere you should get here by car.

• sssake's Profile Photo

Visit castle Nyköpingshus

by sssake Written Dec 23, 2007

You can take a trip to Nyköping and visit the old castle Nyköpingshus.

This castle has faced several historic events including kings celebrations, weddings and fires.

Nowdays you can enjoy and explore the museums, theater shows, markets and festivites held here.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

The tegelslagarsstuga

by sim1 Updated Dec 11, 2005

Hahaha, no, this is not my house! This is the "tegelslagarsstuga" or in English: "the cottage of the brickmaker". I really like this little house, hidden in the woods, close to my house.. I think it looks so picturesque. It gives the idea of the area though, rural, picturesque and quiet. The house dates back to the 17th century. Many of the big estates during those times had a little brickmakers cottage like this on its property.

you can read more about this little house on my Sundby page

• sim1's Profile Photo

Welcome to Södermanland! :-))

by sim1 Updated May 21, 2005

This is where I live! In Södermanland! In a tiny little village called Sundbyholm! My home is in the middle of Sweden in the region of Södermanland, just south of Lake Mälaren and west of Stockholm. In my general tips I have added some maps that will give you a bit better idea about this area and the places that are nice to visit.

In the picture you can see a view over Lake Mälaren, Sweden's third largest lake. I will start this page about Södermanland (or Sörmland as the Swedish often call it) by exploring several places along lake Mälaren that are nice to visit. From there I will travel on a bit to the south and show you some other spots that I've been to.

I hope you will enjoy this page! And maybe even come visit this part of Sweden some day!

you can read more about this destination on my Sundby page

• Photography

Stora Sundby

by sim1 Updated May 9, 2005

This tip is going to be about Stora Sundby. This tip is under construction. I will try to add more info to this tip as soon as I can.

You can read more about this castle on my Alberga page

Fiholm Slott

by sim1 Updated May 8, 2005

I visited this Fiholm Castle during a bicycle tour from my home. It's not that far from where I live (about 10 - 15 kilometres), hahaha, if you don't mind the hills. Hmmm... they are not really hills I guess, hahaha, but it isn't flat either. But if you are from the Netherlands, like me, every bump in the road feels like a hill :-)

It's a beautiful bicycle ride though, when you get close to the castle you can ride along the picturesque long lanes belonging to the castle.

The estate of Fiholm was inherited in 1617 by Axel Oxenstierna. In 1640 they started building a big castle. In 1642 the two wings were constructed, but no main building was ever raised. Reason to this, as the stories goes, is the dispute Axel Oxenstierna and his son Johan. When the son was asked about the coming building of the castle he answered that they were more like two barns than a castle. The angry father Axel answered:- If you think so than you have to build the cattle shed by yourself!-

Hahaha, I love this story. But I have to agree a bit with son Johan. Although the castle is nice to see, it does have some resembles of two huge barns. It would have been totally different if the main building was there to complete the picture, but unfortunately it was never build. All you see now are the two wings of the castle opposite each other.

It is possible to visit the castle, but it isn't open daily. It is possible to book an excursion for groups. The other option is to be here when there is an event going on (which is not very often, about twice a year). During those days it is possible to take a look inside as well.

You can read more about the area around Fiholm Slott on my Björsund page

The Runic Stone at Jäder

by sim1 Updated May 8, 2005

There are many runic stones to be seen in this part of Sweden, especially around Lake Mälaren. I know of about a dozen or so in my area. I think they are wonderful to see as they have survived so many centuries and bare so much history with them. Rune stones are standing stones with runic inscriptions dating mainly from 200 to the year 1100.

In total there are 448 of them in Södermanland. The county of Uppland tops the list though with an amazing 1392. In total there are 3430 of these inscriptions in Sverige. And two of them are right here; in front of the Jäder church.

You can read more about the area around Jäder church on my Björsund page

Nature reserve "Rördrommen"

by sim1 Updated May 8, 2005

You can see the Rördrommen" on the right site of the road. This is your main gateway to get into the little nature reserve at the lake. The name is very appropriate because "Rördrommen" is the name of a rare bird you can spot here: Rördrom or Botaurus stellaris.

Although..... actually seeing this bird will be a very difficult task as the bird is very shy. But hearing it, yes that's possible! It has a ver destinct sound you can miss hearing! it's deep booming song is often likened to the sound produced by blowing across the top of an empty milk bottle.

As I never saw the bird myself, but only heard it, I don't have any photos of it. So instead this pheasant that is also a regular visitor in these parts. And these are not the only birds you can spot here. Rördrommen and Lake Söderfjärden is an area very popular among many bird species.

You can read more about the area around Lake Söderfjärden on my Björsund page

Jäder church

by sim1 Updated May 8, 2005

From Eskilstuna we travel east and the next stop we make is in a little village called Jäder. The church here is quite interesting. The church originates back to the year 1000 and started off as a wooden church. During 1100 the church was rebuild in stone. Around 1600 this whole area is owned by the family "Oxtenstierna", a well-known and rich family in Sweden. Their name pops up quite a bit when reading about Swedish history. They are also the owners of Fiholm Slott that I will talk about a bit later on in this page.

The family Oxtenstierna put a lot of money towards this church, to secure themselves a worthy burial place. And I think they made a good job of it :-) Since 1659 there have been no real changes made to the church, so this is what it looked like a few centuries ago. Just think... 1659! Amazing, isn't it!

You can read more about the area around Jäder church on my Björsund page

Torshälla

by sim1 Updated May 8, 2005

Torshälla is an old trading place. The name Torshälla probably used to be "Torsharg" named after the God Thor. In the fountain in city centre you can see a statue of Thor. The city of Torshälla is really old and got its city rights already in 1317.

Nowadays Torshälla is almost one with the city of Eskilstuna as this city expanded so much. I have to admit that Torshälla is not really my favourite, I hardly visit it as I don't find it that spectacular. It does have some nice places, but on the whole it feels a bit boring. There is one exception and that is "Åsa Brandt". I'll tell you a bit more about that in the next tip.

Södermanlands Län Hotels

1 Hotel
Gnesta Hotels
31 Reviews - 140 Photos

Instant Answers: Södermanlands Län

Comments

Södermanlands Län Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Södermanlands Län things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Södermanlands Län sightseeing.
Map of Södermanlands Län