Södertälje Sports & Outdoors

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Södertälje

SSK- Södertälje's Hockey Team

Beating the Stockholm team DIF 04

Of all the teams in my hometown, this is my favorite. This is the team I remember following as a child, and the team I cheered on during its troubled years when I was a teenager. They really have not had much success the last 20years or so, but that does not mean that people in town does not love the team. During season, the ups and downs of the team is what everybody is talking about, and if there is a big game coming up, the 7000 tickets to the arena might sell out in a couple of hours.

Tennis

Borg in the 70s

Sports is a very important part of my hometown, we have several teams playing in their respective highest division (including hockey, football/soccer, and basketball). We also have a very proud tradition when it comes to producing good tennis players. The best example of this is of course Bjorn Borg, who won five Wibeldons in a row in the 70s. The son of one of his old training partners is now a shooting star on the tennis circuit. His name is Joachim "Pim-Pim" Johanson, and I believe he will be a big star in the near future (fun, since I went to school with his older brother!).

• Business Travel

Assyriska Football/Soccer Team

Assyriska Football/Soccer Club celebrating

Nothing personifies my hometown more than its leading soccer team Assyriska. The name Assyriska is taken from the name of the people from Assyria; an ethnic group coming from the area of current day Syria. In my hometown, there are many immigrants from this part of the world (the Middle East in general).

In 2004, the soccer club advanced to the highest division in Sweden; the first time a team founded my immigrants have made it that far. However, while it was founded by immigrants, and most of its followers are descendants of these immigrants, they represent my entire hometown and we all take pride in their success. The success of the team has, among other things, led to the construction of a brand new soccer stadium, conveniently located right next to the upgraded ice hockey arena!

• Assyriska Confirmed

by marcfromburlington Written Jul 21, 2006

Tejanasueca helped me get my soccer fix while on vacation in Sweden. I was not disappointed. I saw Assyriska play Orebro on a beautiful night in a compact little stadium, which on one end looks out onto the tall trees of forest.

Sodertalje, which is about 45 minutes south of Stockholm. Assyriska play in the new Sodertalje Fotbollscenter right beside Scaniarinken. The stadium holds 6500. The stadium is new, has turf and the team attracts around 2000 per spectators per match.

They are one season removed from the Allsvenskan (Swedish top flight.)

To get to the stadium, take the Pendeltag tram line south to Sodertalje centrum station. There, take the bus labeled 'Scaniarinken'. The stadium is the final stop.

Entrance was 120 SEK, with a match program 20 SEK. Be warned, most of the program sellers are little kids and they don't speak English.

Thanks again to VT member Tejanasueca who was kind with her directions to the stadium and tips on what to do in Sodertalje.

Instant Answers: Södertälje

Comments

Södertälje Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Södertälje sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Södertälje sightseeing.