Grand Hotel, Stockholm

by Lomma
  • UKDaisy's Profile Photo

The Veranda in the Grand Hotel: Swedish Smorgasbord

by UKDaisy Updated Sep 8, 2006

At the Veranda Restaurant in the Grand Hotel, you can sample traditional Swedish dishes from the Swedish Smorgasbord (buffet), e.g. herring, smoked salmon, Swedish meatballs. This place has a nice setting, with views facing Kungliga Slottet (the Royal Palace), and the buffet has a good variety of foods, although it does seem somewhat pricey.

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

The Veranda, Grand Hôtel Stockholm: The weekend smörgåsbord lunch at the Grand Hôtel

by SurfaceTravel Updated Sep 8, 2011

Grand H��tel Stockholm

We were told by our concierge (at a hotel other than the Grand) that the best place to try out a full-on Swedish smörgåsbord was at the Grand Hotel. While The Veranda is one of the more relaxed of the Grand Hotel's restaurants, I was still glad I dressed smart casual (the dress code there seems more like very smart casual). The Veranda goes along the front of the hotel and is mostly window, so it was it was very pleasant to sit warm inside and watch the snow and the people go by outside.

The food was delicious and the service excellent. This meal was definitely the highlight of our visit to Stockholm.

Here is a description of a smörgåsbord from the restaurant's web site:

"The Swedish smorgasbord is the fruit of a long and proud tradition. Permit us to suggest how best to enjoy the wonderful smörgåsbord:

1. Think of the smorgasbord as a four to six course meal.
    2. Do not overload your plate. Make several trips to the buffet and take a new plate each time.
    3. Begin with the herring dishes. These are traditionally served with boiled potatoes, crispbread and cheese. Herring tastes best with a cool aquavit chased with cold beer.
    4. Next, try another Swedish speciality, gravad lax, which is served with a mustard and dill sauce. Try the smoked salmon, preferably with a few drops of lemon.
    5. Then we suggest a variety of salads, egg dishes and cold cuts of meat and poultry.
    6. Now it is high time to try the hot dishes. Don't miss the Swedish meatballs with lingonberries.
    7. To round off the meal, we suggest our famous desserts, especially the fruit salad, which is popular with many regulars. A cup of coffee and an iced Swedish punsch completes the meal."

Favorite Dish: I tend to think of the smörgåsbord more as a Swedish buffet. My daughter didn't go for the full buffet and instead ordered a lobster bisque for lunch, of which I had a sip. To this day, she maintains it is the best soup she has ever tasted, and I more or less agree. I had psyched myself up for this, thinking I was simply going to endure this tasting of local food, but amazingly, I really enjoyed it. I even went back for seconds of the raw herring, a sort of sweet sashimi sushi.

• Marie-Lo's Profile Photo

• Lomma's Profile Photo

Grand Hotel, Matsalen: Wasn't worth it

by Lomma Written Mar 19, 2012
    The Meny - trendy on an Ipad

I am very sorry that we spent a month budget on this restaurant. It is supposed to be one of the best with 2 Mish stars, but I don't know, 8 course meal with wine meny SEK 7000 for 2 people and I did not even like the food. The raw fish and oysters to me smelled like cod liver, and the setting was not as classy as I presumed. I may have wanted some more not so modern touch to it. The wine was good, but I have had better days...

Favorite Dish: The bread...

• Spa and Resort

• jandris's Profile Photo

The restaurant in the Grand...

by jandris Written Aug 25, 2002

The restaurant in the Grand Hotel serves a wonderful smorgasbord.

Favorite Dish: Many varieties of smoked salmon. But the usual 5 course smorgasbord.

Instant Answers: Stockholm

Comments

Hotels Near Grand Hotel
4.5 out of 5 stars