Places to eat in Stockholm

Delicious Fish Soup (with Safran)
    Fresh Salad with Scampi
  • Restaurant Lisa Elmqvist during a Friday Lunch
    Restaurant Lisa Elmqvist during a Friday...

Most Viewed Restaurants in Stockholm

Lisa Elmqvist: Seafood at Östermalms Saluhall

by MM212 Updated Jun 22, 2014

Located within the food market Östermalms Saluhall, Lisa Elmqvist is a casual seafood restaurant. It is named after the founder who was the daughter of a fisherman. The restaurant has a bar counter as well as tables and serves great oysters and fish. It is best for lunch or a very early dinner, for it is open only during the hours of the market itself, which closes at 6pm or 7pm depending on the day.

Lisa Elmqvist, Mar 2014 Mar 2014

Sturehof: Swedish Classic

by MM212 Updated Mar 23, 2014

Open for about a century, Sturehof has become an institution in Stockholm. It has a French bistro atmosphere, but the menu is mainly seafood-focused, with a few meat dishes. I had the herring tasting to start, followed by the tenderloin special, and both were excellent. I had dinner here in a Sunday night and it was recommended by my hotel's concierge, not only because it's reputable but also because it's one of the few restaurants open on Sunday.

March, 2014
    • Luxury Travel

Matbaren: Exquisite

by MM212 Updated Mar 23, 2014

Very rarely do I say this, but this restaurant is simply exquisite. It was recommended by the concierge at Nobis Hotel when he realised I was a bit of a foodie. Matbaren is part of the Grand Hôtel and does two seatings, the first at 6pm and the second at 9pm. The dishes are innovative and mix local concepts with international flavours, and the menu changes daily depending on seasonal ingredients. Service is excellent too. I will have to come back to Stockholm just for this.

Mar 2014 The menu in Swedish, Mar 2014 Indescribably delicious
    • Luxury Travel

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Expensive

by littlebush Updated Mar 5, 2014

Eating out is very expensive here!!!
    I lived on philadelphia rolls(with crisps) bought from 7-11!
    The Galway Irish pub does a nice plate of chips for about 25KR.

On my 2nd visit I went in TGI Fridays down by the fountain by the boat trips. a shared nachos and sandwiches and drinks(soft) cost about 380k(£30).

On my 3rd trip, i had dinner in Mest(see my nightlife section)-they do decent food. i had slamon skewers for 1300kr.very good.

On my 5th trip, had a nice hot chocolate in a cool cafe that did cakes and snacks called cafe Baresso. They have two of them in Stockholm.
    We also had dinner is a great place called Cultur. It was a tapas restaurant with a cool bar attached. It had a nice ambience. Service was ok. Food was very good and for sweden worked out reasonable. While we weren't stuffed, for 55SEK we had a decent feed including a 600SEK ting glass of beer. It's in the old town.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Fleur de Lis: French restaurant.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jan 21, 2014

This is a very charming restaurant situated in Liljeholmen, and the che and the owner Henrik is a very pleasant person. I went here with my friend Alberto and they know each other. The restaurant includes asmall part of things from France like cheeses and spices. The restaurant sells also some other things too like beautiful soaps. You can go in here and just buy these things, you dont have to eat.

Favorite Dish: Have forgotten what I ate here. But it was very delicious. I still rememeber the taste on my tongue. Yummie! Yummie! It was something really deliciously and I would like to come back here again and try the food. Maybe I will ask my friend to come here again and try something different....

My friend Alberto. The tables. The kitchen. Little shop with French things. With the French flag.
    • Beer Tasting

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Bamboo City.: Mongolian buffé.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jan 21, 2014

Here you can choose between so many things and they fry the meat at the same time you wait for it. You decide how much and what you want to eat for the same price! They have so many kind of dishes here and also you have a dessert table with fruits and ice Cream. It is a heaven for people who enjoy to eat a lot and sit and relax, and especially if you are fond of eating lots of different meat and fish dishes.

Favorite Dish: Well, I must say everything.

Outside.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Restaurant Tennstopet

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 5, 2014

In October 2013 I had dinner with some friends at Restaurant Tennstopet. It was recommended to us by a Swedish friend, who also came with us.

The name "Tennstopet" means pewter tankard and the restaurant seems to have a long tradition dating back to the end of the 19th century, when it started as a pub. The interior is decorated with large mirrors, all sorts of paintings and chandeliers. In summer an outdoor terrace on the pavement is available.

On arrival we were greeted by a waiter who told us that we had to wait for a free table as the restaurant was booked up. About 15 minutes later we got a table for the 5 of us.

The menu offers a wide variety of Swedish dishes from meat to fish. At lunchtime a special lunch menu is available. Prices are slightly above average.

As starters the 5 of us shared S.O.S. for 122 SEK. It stands for sill, ost, smör (herring, cheese and butter) and seems to be a classic Swedish starter.

As second starter we had Gubbröra (matjes herring on rye bread) for 128 SEK. Both starters were excellent, although my favourite was definitely the S.O.S.

For the main meal I opted for Köttbullar (meat balls) with cream sauce, pickled cucumber and Lingonberries for 186 SEK.

To drink I had a beer (79 SEK) and an O.P. Anderson Aquavit (88 SEK). Especially alcohol is relatively expensive in Sweden, still we had an enjoyable evening at the Restaurant Tennstopet.

Tennstopet: K��ttbullar Tennstopet: O.P. Anderson Aquavit Tennstopet: Interior Tennstopet: Interior
    • Trains

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Cafe Sven Vintappare

by HORSCHECK Written Dec 7, 2013

On our football trip in October 2013 I visited the Cafe Sven Vintappare with friends. It belongs to the hotel of the same name and is located in an early 17th century building.

The interior is equipped with a small wooden bar, a cake display and only 5 small tables. It is simply decorated in an old tavern style. All sorts of hot and cold drinks as well as a selection of homemade cakes is on offer. I only drank a Cappuccino for 30 SEK here. It was good and I liked the place.

Cafe Sven Vintappare Cafe Sven Vintappare: My cappuccino Cafe Sven Vintappare: Interior
    • Trains

• sim1's Profile Photo

Lisa Elmqvist: Seafood heaven!

by sim1 Updated Oct 27, 2013

If you like Seafood, this is the place to be!
    First of all, if you would like to eat here: make reservations! This is a very popular place: it is packed full each day, and people are queuing to get a table. You can easily make reservations online: http://www.lisaelmqvist.se/boka-bord. The website is in Swedish, but click on the little flag in middle and you can easily change it into English and several other languages.

So why is this place so popular? Because of its great quality of products. Everything is so fresh and well prepared! A place I certainly will return to many times! This is not only a restaurant, but they also sell fresh fish and shellfish over the counter So you can actually see the quality of the products they serve for lunch, straight from the shop, to the chef and onto your plate. It can't get fresher than this!

It sounds like a strange combination a shop and a restaurant in one? Well, it isn't really, if you take into consideration their location. The restaurant is located in the Östermalms Saluhallen. Translated "Saluhallen" means "Market Halls". but this is not just a market, this is a place with a long history dating back to 1888. There are mainly family firms inside the Saluhallen, selling high quality products and delicacies from meat to fish to cheeses and vegetables for over a 100 years. And Lisa Elmqvist is one of these quality shops, dating back to 1926.

The atmosphere in the restaurant is very informal. This might be not to the liking of some, but for me it felt just right. They have long tables and round tables, and you are seated on a table with other guests where there is a spot. A vibrant atmosphere that everyone seemed to enjoy.

Admitting it is not the cheapest place in town, but you pay for the quality that you receive and it is well worth it. The opening hours are mainly during the day; probably the same hours as the Saluhallen are opened. So the focus is on lunch, not on dinner.
    Opening hours: Mon-Thu 9:30-18:00, Fri 9:30-19:00 and on Saturdays 9:30 - 16:00.

Favorite Dish: So what to eat? Too much to choose from really, lots of dishes that appealed to me.
    In the end I chose a 'Creamy fish soup of the house with saffron, shrimps and trout roe' and I got it served with a wonderful Sauvignon Blanc recommended by the restaurant. I had never had a fish soup before with saffron, so it was a bit different than usual, but is tasted excellent! It was creamy and filling and you could clearly taste how fresh the shrimps were. My husband ordered a Fresh Salad with Scampi which tasted equally good. There were many more items on the menu that made my mouth water, so something to look forward to for a next visit!

The Fish soup costs 285 SEK and the Salad 190 SEK.

Delicious Fish Soup (with Safran) Fresh Salad with Scampi Restaurant Lisa Elmqvist during a Friday Lunch

• sim1's Profile Photo

Cafe Schweizerkonditoriet: Time for some Fika! (Coffee break)

by sim1 Updated Oct 26, 2013

Cafe Schweizerkonditoriet is one of the many coffee places in the Gamla Stan in Stockholm. It is located on the Våsterlånggatan, the major tourist street in Stockholm. I normally don't spend so much time in the Västerlånggatan as I find it far too touristy, but this time I happened to be here when having a strong craving for a hot cup of coffee. I guess this is a tourist trap as the prices are over the top. But at the same time I did enjoy sitting here with my coffee and cake.

The Cafe Schweizerkonditoriet is a relaxing place, where the staff and guests have decorated the walls with lots of texts and personal messages. The coffee tasted good, but the added marshmallows in my cup of Cappuccino seemed a bit overdoing it and I could have happily lived without. It seemed odd, so out went the marshmallow as soon as the coffee arrived.

Of course we ordered something sweet to go with our coffees, a 'kanelbulle' (cinnamon bun) for my husband, which was huge and delicious! I ordered a piece of Apple strudel, which was slightly warmed and served with a vanilla sauce on the side. The piece of cake was huge and good tasting!

Besides cakes they also have a huge assortment of sandwiches and pies, which seemed all freshly made and a great option for a quick lunch or snack when feeling hungry after doing sightseeing in town.

Apple strudel

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Bar Chapman: Budget Lunch on Skeppsholmen

by travelfrosch Updated Jul 12, 2013

If you're getting low on Kronor but you're tired of picnics, the Bar Chapman is a good solution. Located in the lobby of the Skeppsholmen Youth Hostel (not onboard the af Chapman as the name would seem to indicate), there's a simple restaurant/bar open for lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: While dinner is a la carte, lunch is a set price of SEK 60, including a salad bar, fruit juice, and coffee. When we had lunch here, the main course was a choice of herring or meatballs. We both had the herring -- it was nothing special, but filling and cheap. Beer is also available for (relatively) low prices.

Bar Chapman Follow the sign...
    • Singles

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Fotografiska's cafe: The best view in the City

by akkipaa Updated May 27, 2013

This is my first review from Stockholm and this restaurant got the place in my hearth! They say in their web pages that the view is breathtaking and one of the most beautiful in Stockholm. I think Kaknäs, Åhlens terrace and top of the world are far behind, at least I sat in the restaurant with cool and calm feeling having relaxing Swedish beer and enjoyed a lot.

The atmosphere is modern and open, the windows are wide and the scenery contains main highlights of Stockholm like Djurgården, Gamla Stan and Skeppsholmen.

For lunch you can have seasonal hot food concocted by two Swedish national culinary team members. Speciality is vegetable-dishes but fish and meat dishes are also available with home-baked pastries, toasted and cold sandwiches, salads, coffee, tea, soft drinks and wine or beer.

The bad news is good news. The bar is open only for museum visitors, so you have to pay 120SEK (May 2013) before entrance, but two bugs with one slam the museum is really worth of visiting. Fotografiska Museet is included to Stockholm Card program also.

Opening hours:
    Every day 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
    Lunch is served: 11.30 am - 2:00 pm
    Last orders at: 8.30 pm .

Favorite Dish: Brunch is 325SEK (VAT included). Children under 12 pay half price) and the food, a fruit juice and water are included in the price (entrance fee to the museum is included in the price BUT ONLY IF you book it from their web pages in advance).

Probably they open an outdoor cafe also, but the schedule is not known yet, they have had it on summers from 2011.

Don't forget to drink Wisby beer (photo 4), it is brewed by a small micro brewery Gottlands Bryggeri.

• Museum Visits
    • Photography

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Cypern.: Don´t miss this meze....

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2013

Here they served very good food from Cyprus and especially the fried cheese was the best. I dont remember anything about the service now, but I remember that I liked this Place and especially the food.

Favorite Dish: The fried cheese.

restaurant Cypern
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Burger King.: A really good hamburger at Centralstation.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2013

I am very fond of fast food and especially hamburgers and I have to say that Burger King makes very delicious ones. In the Centralstation you find a smaller restaurant and it is maybe not the best and perfect Place to eat at, but every traveller have to eat.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers of course.

Yummie.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Max.: Get a breakfast at Max.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2013

Well, I prefer this place compare to McDonalds. They make the hamburgers or the beakfast when you order. So, you can see when they grill the hamburger for example. It is a Swedish company and I have never been disappointed here . Never. Not on the food, maybe some times at the stuff. But the food is the most important for the clients.

Favorite Dish: I have no special hamburger from here, I usually try all the new ones that they sell. They really make them delicious here.

Breakfast at Max.

Stockholm Hotels

• Grand Hotel Stockholm

The Grand Hotel is beautiful and centrally located. I'd have loved to give it a good review....

• Sheraton

This was a very nice hotel for a spouse weekend in Stockholm. Not the cheapest, but quite ok. Nice...

• Hotel Rival

We stayed there on March 2005. This hotel is well situated at the center of Mariatorget Square and...

Latest Stockholm Hotel Reviews

Latest: Nov 25, 2013
Hotel Oden
Latest: Jun 18, 2014

Instant Answers: Stockholm

Comments

Stockholm Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Stockholm locals.
Map of Stockholm