Up on the hills of Söder, Högalid Church is easy to spot with its twin towers. Those towers actually hold different rooms themselves and are not just ordinary. The church was built in 1916-23 and the architect Ivar Tengbom is also responsible for most of the interior which is then also decorated with works by Swedish artists, notably Einar Forseth who has created some gold mosaics and other things. Maybe not that surprising if you consider his similar work in Stockholm's City Hall.
The large crucifix is the biggest in the Scandinavian countries. It was made by Gunnar Torhamn. He did also paint the frescoes in the baptistry. The paintings on the pulpit and on the organ gallery are also made by him, after drafts of the architect Ivar Tengbom.
The altarpiece has paintings against a golden background.
The middle part shows the blessing of Christ with the twelve disciples placed two by two on both sides.
The side paintings show Christ's Ascension and the King's Worship.
Reproductions on the outside of the altarpiece are shown during Lent, when the triptych is closed.
The altarpiece which is made in Byzantine style was made by Erik Jerke.
These three portals repeats the symbolism from the two towers.
From left (north) is Ansgar's portal, central portal is called Life's portal and the right one (south) is Petri's portal.
Granite carving was made by Gustav Cederwall.
The two towers represents different sides of the Christian faith.
North tower (left), the Ansgar tower, symbolises the Lord's Commandments.
South tower (right), the Olaus Petri tower, represents the Gospel.
See also notes on west portal (the main entry).
This church with two eight-sided towers is visible from long distance. It is built in national-romantic style. The architect is Ivar Tengbom. It was constructed 1916-1923.
The church nave with the great Crucifix. To the left in the north tower is the Baptistry, in the north tower (right) is a church council meeting room.
The main body of the church consists of a single aisle. It has six arches on each side with windows. The walls are painted with colourless lime mortar.
The choir organ has 17 stops, 2 manuals and pedal. It was built by Mads Kjersgaard in Uppsala in cooperation with Robert Gustavsson Organ factory in Härnösand.
The great organ was build by Olof Hammerberg Organ Factory in Gothenburg in 1966. It has 56 stops, 4 manuals and pedal.
The front was designed by Ivar Tengbom.
The frescoes in this babtistry depicts scenes fron the life of John the Baptist. The painter is Gunnar Torhamn.