Arlanda Express, Stockholm

Know about this? Rate It!

by akkipaa
    by akkipaa
    by balhannah
  • From Arlanda to Bromma

by DoisCentavos Updated Oct 17, 2013

The purpose of this message is to prevent other visitors from taking the wrong train at Arlanda subway station and, consequently, from the hassle I had experienced on board of an express train in the morning of Friday, September 27, 2013, in Stockholm.

After landing at Arlanda from Chicago I stopped at the information center of the airport to inquire about options to get to Bromma. I was told the best option would be public transportation as I had a three-hour layover.

I bought the ticket and was informed that the next train would be leaving in thirteen minutes. After following the given directions, I arrived at the platform, confirmed destination, and noticed that the next train would be coming within nine minutes. The train punctually arrived, I confidently jumped in and took a seat. Few minutes later a ticket officer approached and I handed in my ticket valid for the entire trip.

To my great surprise, the young lady said that the ticket was not good for the train I was riding, and so I would need to purchase a new ticket. She also immediately informed that she would be deducting the boarding fee from this charge. Sitting in front of me, there were two other visitors trapped in the same situation. The ticket officer also told us that the three of us could buy the tickets altogether for a cheaper price even though I had never met the other travelers before.

Grateful for the automatic discount but extremely uncomfortable with the idea of buying another ticket since I had one already, I argued with the ticket officer on how misinformation has led the other two travelers and myself to be in a situation that we were not the ones to be blamed for. My argument to the ticket office was based on the following points: i) the ticket from Arlanda to Bromma was purchased at an official information center, ii) the time for this express train departure from Arlanda was exactly the same as officially informed, iii) there were no obvious signs at the platform informing visitors on which trains we should be riding and respective departure times, iv) visitors are not residents and are usually overwhelmed by just arriving at a different place, v) this is not a case of ill intent as other travelers had also decided to get on this train, and vi) the price for this new train was over twice the price of the original ticket train we had. Had I been told about the price of this new ticket, I would have probably considered another option to get to Bromma -- or even fly from Arlanda straight to Umea, my final destination. When I bought the tickets in the US, I decided to fly from Bromma to have a chance to spend few hours in Stockholm.

My arguments, though, were hastily and completely ignored by the ticket officer. Noticing that the young lady lacked the ability to comprehend the unfairness of that situation and was only concerned about carrying on with her duty, I kindly requested whether I could talk to her supervisor as I had some time to get to Bromma, and so would be happy to explain the reasons why I considered buying another ticket unfair under the given conditions. The young lady said that she would not be calling her supervisor but security. I said I was okay with that as I had assumed that security officers would have the capability to listen to and reason over the unfairness of that situation. After talking to security, though, the ticket officer mischievously told the visitors sitting in front of me that security, once on board, would not ask us questions, not even give us the option to pay for another ticket. While dealing with security, she said, we would be dealing with the police. Clearly repressed by that threat, the two other visitors immediately handed in their credit card to pay for whatever the amount the young lady was asking for and kindly offered to pay my ticket as well.

Baffled by the undiscriminating use of power I was witnessing first hand and by the knock-on effects that this minor incident could unfold, I also agreed to pay for the new ticket even though could not consent whatsoever with the conditions of this charge and narrow-mindedness shown in full force by the ticket officer. Before walking away, I tried one last time to ask the ticket officer to put herself in the shoes of visitors. This last attempt was in vain as the young lady nervously stated that she was already being nice enough by taking away the boarding fee and that it is the responsibility of visitors to board on the right train. Finally I told her that this case is not about this charge but that we, visitors, were only in this situation because we trusted in what we were told by an official and that Sweden, I continued, was a country internationally known because here people are said we can trust each other. After trying to build a solidarity bridge between us, the young lady slowly turned down her eyes and giggled at my remark.

Having said all that, I am writing this letter to request that Arlanda’s information center provide accurate information to travelers taking public transportation in Stockholm, the placement of obvious signs on platforms, and, above all, that ticket officers, or maybe just the lady I bumped into, be able not only to follow rules but also to hold accountable for and address organizational flaws that have nothing to do with visitors. As the ticket officer pointed out at the end of the conversation, this misunderstanding has been taking place many times and she is the one wielding authority to decide over any charge. I just hope that this recurrent misunderstanding leading to unexpected charges and that the authority that this ticket officer had claimed she held could also be used not only for an efficient job performance but mainly to nourish signs of kindness, empathy, and compassion towards newcomers to beautiful Stockholm.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Written May 15, 2013

Fastest and easiest way from/to Arlanda to/from Stockholm is Arlanda Express. The train takes you in 20 minutes from middle of the airport to Central Station.

Price info (May 2013).
    - Single ticket 260SEK/490SEK return
    - One way weekend for two 380SEK
    - Prebooked (Thu-Sun) weekend Return 325SEK (only online!)
    - pensioner and students 130/260 (not online, only ticket counters).
    - in you don't have ticket IN TRAIN YOU PAY MORE!!! (100SEK!!!), take it in advance!!!

(Current taxi price seemed to be like 520SEK, to three persons make it cheaper, unless weekend tickets are used. Taxi might take 60-90mins depending of your destination and traffic conditions.)

Check and follow the prices, take always a look to their web pages, check what kind of tickets are available on your traveling days, there's a new competitor and that can have some influence to pricing plan. For example now they offer:

"Buy an e-ticket in May, and get 20% discount on your summer trip! The receipt contains a discount code. The code entitles you to 20% discount on one purchase when booking and travelling between 1 Jun-31 Aug 2013. Applies on e-ticket purchases on arlandaexpress.com".

My recommendation (I don't exaxtly know what is the proce of this new (45min) train, so it might be worth of checking). If you plan to use public transportation a lot, buy Stockholm card or some travel card and continue to your hotel with subway. You can get em from Infos in Arlanda and the time count starts from first journey (You have to present Stockholm Card in subway gate office, they write the starting date/time to the card there).

You don't need to check the timetable they start operation 4:35Sto/5:05Arl and end 0:35Sto/1:05Arl and in rush hour every 10 minutes (other times 15mins, but late 30mins).

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

by PeterVancouver Updated Jul 9, 2012

To get simply into the city the best mode is by train.

The Arlander Express takes just 20 mins from the airport to the central station downtown, where for convenience the new Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel is right longside the station

This train is not cheap something like $60 return but is very fast

• Arland Express way to go

by Spanky7676 Written May 12, 2012
    Stockholm staion Arlanda Express

Goign to Stockholm from the airport take the Arlanda Express. Book online and you dont need a ticket just the card you booked with. Great train clean, easy to find and everthing is in english. Free WI-FI on board.

Cost was average for the fast direct trains in Europe. Fellow travelers drove in Taxi took 75 minutes to hotel. Trains takes 20 to central station and 5 from station to hotel via Taxi.

```

• kimberlydiamant's Profile Photo

Express vers Taxi

by kimberlydiamant Written May 4, 2012

KD

We arrived at the airport ARN, the Taxi driver was 450 S around 55 Euro, we were three people, this is a flat rate and all taxis should honor it. For us the express to the central station would have been more expensive at 25 euro per person plus the additional transport to the Hotel Bern, which by the way is FAB. Agreed that it is an expensive city, cocktails are around 20 Euro a piece.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ARLANDA EXPRESS

by balhannah Updated Feb 3, 2012

Arlanda Express

We chose the Arlanda express and found it to be a good choice for running on time and the quick journey! It was very clean, comfortable and in excellent condition, nothing like we have at home, so quite a different experience for us!

Fast, about 20mins to Stockholm, the train's run about every 20mins.
    At the time we were there, there was a special on which we tried to get from the Ticket machine upstair's, and then at the Platform before we boarded. After lot's of trouble, I eventually asked a Swedish man who could speak English to help.
    Yes, the special was available on our day, but he tried everything, and in the end said it must only be available on Swedish card, it wouldn't accept our credit card's. So, looks like Tourist's dipped out!

SO BEWARE......NO special for us, luckily, we could buy our ticket on the train, [we had no choice], and for that privelige, we had to pay an extra 50sek each per ticket, what a rip - off!

For all the important information please check the english website below.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Fast and easy !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 25, 2011
    fast and simple !!!

If only all the cities in the world would have this type of transportation, it would be a lot better to travel around. The Arlanda Express leaves every 20 minutes and takes 20 minutes into Central train station....tickets can be bought at the information center, right in the arrivals hall. A taxi into the city would cost about 400 SEK about $65 US, and based on a meter, so if you find traffic, you'll pay thru the roof...... The Arlanda express cost 210 SEK about $30 US...indeed expensive, but all of Stockholm is very expensive !!!!!

• iaint's Profile Photo

why is it not like this everywhere?

by iaint Updated Jun 13, 2010

I've been a lot of places, and the Arlanda Express ranks about top for getting from airport to city centre.

20 minutes @ 200km p-h. Only drawback is the pricetag - 460 SEK return in June 2010. About £40.

• pcg821's Profile Photo

Best way to Stockholm

by pcg821 Updated Jan 14, 2008

Arlanda Epress train platform

Quick and simple way to main train station in Stockholm.Trip took about 22 minutes.Train as plenty of luggage storage area where you are near your bags,and can watch that nobody bothers them.Train was clean and comfortable Finding train at airport was easy,there are many signs showing way to train station I think the station is under terminal 5(not 100% sure).Tickets are purchased at the yellow vending machines.Prices vary on different days and for one way or round trip.

• t_cims's Profile Photo

by t_cims Written Jan 9, 2008

Weekend price .............................................. 240 SEK
    Single journey. Two adults travelling together.
    Bring up to four children 0-17 yrs for free.
    Applies Sat-, Sun- and holidays.

Single ticket, adult ......................................... 220 SEK
    From 26 yrs

Return ticket, adult ....................................... 420 SEK
    Valid for one month since purchase.

Child.................................................................. 0 SEK
    Up to four children 0-17 yrs,
    accompanied by person
    travelling on fullprice ticket.
    Not applicable on student
    or SAS Travel Pass.

Single ticket, child/youth 8-25 yrs ............... 110 SEK

Single ticket, senior citizen ........................... 110 SEK
    From 65 yrs, must be verified.

Single ticket, student ..................................... 110 SEK
    Sold at ticket counters only. Valid CSN-, ISIC-,
    Mecenat-, Membit- or Studentkortet required.

Return ticket, senior/student ........................ 220 SEK
    Valid for one month since purchase.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

by sarahandgareth Updated Dec 8, 2007

For transportation between the Arlanda Airport and Stockholm City, the only way to go is the Arlanda Express train. Departures are frequent, the trip (as you will see advertised everywhere) will only take twenty minutes, and the cost is only 200 SEK. This makes the Arlanda Express more reliable, faster and cheaper than taking a taxi! Plus, the early morning trains from the city are specifically timed to make the earliest departing flights.

For more information and current timetables (in Swedish or English), visit the Arlanda Express website.

• Marionbcn's Profile Photo

the fastest way to the city center

by Marionbcn Written Aug 10, 2007

The arlanda express, its a very fast train that connects stockholm's central station with the arlanda airport, tickets costs 200 SEK ( if its two ppl travelling together theres an offer of 240 SEK for two), takes only 20 minutes to go from arlanda to the city and theres trains departing every 10 minutes from 4.35 am, and finnishing 01.35 am.

TIME TABLES

06:00 - 23:00 05 - 20 35 - 50
    23:00 - 01:00 05 - - 35 - -
    Valid June 24th - August 19th

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Enjoying the high speed journey

by gordonilla Updated Feb 26, 2007
    Lauren on the Arlanda Express

The Arlanda Express is an excellent service - which is comfortable, prompt and very clean.

The only difficultly I have encountered on several occasions is that we have requested to many ticketes from the automated ticket dispenser. There are a limit to the number of credit card paid tickets which can be bought.

• Arlanda Express to Stockholm

by cairncastle Written Oct 8, 2006

This must be the easiest & fastest way to arrive right into the centre of Stockholm (Central Station). If you have money to spend get a taxi (expensive) if you have time to spare (40 min - more in rush hour) and want to wait around, get a bus - cheaper. The train, however, leaves from directly under the airport terminals, reached by escalator and is well sign posted ( my first trip to Arlanda/Stockholm and it was a breeze). A train leaves every 15 mins takes 20 mins to get to Central and reaches speeds of 206 km/hr - which you can view on the in coach display board.Make sure you buy a ticket at any of the automatic ticket machines - buying a ticket on the train will cost you 50 SEK more.
    It costs 190 SEK one way, but if you don't like stress at airports this is the way to avoid it. There are no stops between Arlanda airport and Central Station so don't worry you can't get off too soon (or too late). Also there is an excellent automated english information system - it even told us we were slowing down because of other trains & we would shortly be at Central Station. The trains are immaculately clean & comfortable - a trait of the Swedish Public transport system in general. At Central Station there are taxis waiting (Taxi Stockholm & Taxi Kurir are the one's to use as you won't get ripped off) - Tip your driver.
    Return journey is just as easy. I have had experience of public transport systems in various EU states but this is by far the most user friendly I have come across.

Instant Answers: Stockholm