Tyresta Things to Do

• The fires of 1999 at Tyresta National Park
    The fires of 1999 at Tyresta National...
  • The fires of 1999 at Tyresta National Park
    The fires of 1999 at Tyresta National...

Most Recent Things to Do in Tyresta

by sim1 Updated Sep 24, 2004

Tyeresta National Park

Welcome to Tyresta National Park! One of the beautiful National Parks in Sweden. In total there are 28 National Parks in Sweden, all beautiful and all different. In the intro you can see a list of all the parks of Sweden and links to their specific pages.

Tyresta is the most visited national park in Sweden with 1 million visitors a year.

It is the dream of Åke and me to visit all of Sweden's National Parks. It's going to be hard to do, but more than worth it! The nature of Sweden is fantastic! If you have written something about a National Park in Sweden, please let me know. I would love to read about it!

In the intro to this page you already could read some general info about this National Park. On these must see tips I want to give you a personal impression of my visit to and hike in Tyresta National Park, as well as some general info of how to get here. I hope you enjoy reading it! I certainly enjoyed being here :-))

Exhibition at Parkernas Hus

Parkernas Hus

At the end of my day at Tyresta I went to the main entrance of the park to visit the exhibition at Parkernas Hus. It isn't a huge exhibition and to be honest, it disappointed me a little bit. At Parkernas Hus they give you an overview of all the Swedish National Parks, by using photos, displays and a bit of info about every park. But when you've read the book about the Swedish National Parks, all these photos might seem very familiar, as they are the same as in the book. So nothing new for me. PS: it is a wonderful book!

I hope you enjoyed my virtual impression of Tyresta! And I do hope I made you a bit enthusiastic in visiting Tyresta or maybe one of the other Swedish National Parks. There is one last thing I want to say: Sweden is beautiful!!! So come and visit, and enjoy the beautiful nature :-))

Tumbled down trees

Micado?

The last little bit of the trail went through the burnt down area of Tyresta again. This second time around I was prepared what to find here and not feeling so shocked. These tumbles down trees reminded me a bit of the game 'micado' :-))

There are lots of hiking trails in Tyresta National Park and nature reserve, 55 kilometres in total. There is lots to choose from, from long and more difficult hikes to short and really easy to do. So something for everyone! The trails are often connected with each other so you can 'design' your own hiking trail if you like. Go to the visitor centre if you want more info about those specific hikes or take a look at this website for more info (sorry it's only in Swedish): http://tyresta.se/vandringsleder.shtml

• sim1's Profile Photo

The hike is almost to and end....

Tyresta National Park

The hike is almost to an end, time to summarize my day in Tyresta. Tyresta is a beautiful place, with lots of beautiful nature. The proximity to a big city like Stockholm has it clear advantages and disadvantages and makes it unique at the same time. Amazing to have this 'green beauty' at the outskirts of a city. It can be (too) busy here with people as it is so easy to reach. But being easy to reach might just be THE reason for you to visit it!

In my opinion this is not one of the best national parks in Sweden. I've been to Tiveden and Fulufjället National Park and both those parks totally knocked me off my feet, they are so amazingly beautiful. Tyresta is undoubtedly a beautiful place, but for me just missed this little bit extra to make it exceptional.

But would I go here again? Oh yes! It's a beautiful place in its own right.

Would I advice you to visit? Oh yes! It's a great opportunity to get a feel of Swedish nature while visiting a beautiful city like Stockholm.

Lake view

Lake view

Okay, one more lake photo and that's it. Hahaha, I just couldn't resist clicking the camera. Some of the views are so wonderful, like this one. It's hard to find words to describe this landscape, so I do hope my photos speak for themselves :-))

Walking around the lake

Lake

We walked from the Fornborg down to the waters edge of the lake. The hike continues now for a while following the lakes edge. I didn't mind that at all, the views were just wonderful! For me the views over the lake "Stensjön" were the highlight of this hike.

Calm waters

Calm waters at Tyresta National Park

Such a calm day, the water is so smooth and quiet. It is almost unrealistic. But don't be surprised to see this more often in Sweden as the weather is often this calm. Perfect conditions to make some reflection shots, hahaha, which I have to confess I didn't really do this day. Instead this almost unreal photo of a fallen down tree laying in the dark blue-grey waters. It is so peaceful, quiet

The walls of the Fornborg

Fornborg

But don't get your hopes up too high to see something spectacular. There is not so much to see besides the remains of a bit of wall of this Fornborg. But I find it always interesting to get in touch with a bit of history during my trips. I've seen quite a few of these Fornborgs because there are lots of them in the area where I live (around Lake Mälaren). Some are better than other, but they all have these piles of rocks as a remainder of the old walls in common.

Fornborg

When you walk around in Tyresta and take this hiking trail, you are going to bump into some history as well. On your way you will pass a Fornborg.

Fornborg are settlements that were made from 500 BC until 1050 AC, but the most of them are from around 500 AC. There are around 1000 of these Fornborg in Sweden, and here in Tyresta is one of them. Most of these early settlements were on top of a hill and had a stone wall around it to protect them. From the drawing you get a little idea how these Fornborg used to look like.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Rood met witte stippen....

by sim1 Updated Sep 9, 2004

Rood met witte stippen....

I know not many of you can read the title to this tip "rood met witte stippen...." So I'll better give a little bit of an explanation :-)) It is Dutch and it means "Red with white dots....". Hahaha, you probably still don't know what I am talking about. For me this photo reminds me of a children's song I used to sing. It is about a little dwarf that sits on top of a red mushroom with white dots. Well, here is your mushroom, hahaha, only the little dwarf is missing :-))

I love this photo though, it really symbolises the beginning of autumn.

Nice and quiet?

Quiet trail

The trail continues back into the woods. It looks so calm here, and it was! But I think I need to give you a word of warning. When I hiked here it was early on a Saturday morning. Clearly too early for all the Stockholmers to be awake and about. But by the time I got back to the car, they seemed to arrive by the dozen. Families, kids, picnic baskets, the whole lot.

Being so close to a big city like Stockholm can cause it to be a bit too busy in the park, well, to my liking anyway. So if you like to have the park to yourself, try to avoid weekends and holidays. Or go early in the mornings like I did :-)

A little stream....

A little stream....

A little stream flows out into the lake. It is a bit foggy and very cloudy. But despite this dark weather the trees have this vibrant lively green colour over them. The lake is so calm that it reflects like a mirror. Even on a cloudy day like this I can't help but stand still for a while and take in it's beauty. Sweden is beautiful!

• sim1's Profile Photo

Lakes, trees and little islands

by sim1 Updated Sep 9, 2004

Lake, trees and little islands

Swedish nature is beautiful and it is no wonder that I have fallen in love with this country. One of the sights I love is what you see here in the photo. A beautiful lake, surrounded by an endless sea of trees. In the lake there are several little islands. There is nothing special to those islands, they are nothing more than little rocks with trees on it. But the tranquillity of it all is just mesmerizing. I could sit here for hours to enjoy this wonderful landscape.

The lake "Stensjön"

Stensj��n

Luckily the hike doesn't only go through this burnt down area. After a while you get back into the woods and you can enjoy some wonderful views. I think this part is the best of the hike, the views over the lake "Stensjön".

It's not a wonderful sunny day, but even in cloudy weather like this the views are simply beautiful.

Blackened trees

Blackened trees

Blackened trees, fresh green bushes, trees and plants all fighting to be the next generation to live in this area. But also lots of bare rocks that were once the home of the mosses and lichens that are so characteristic of this national park. In this area the fires were so heavy that none of it survived. The sad thing is that they grow so very very slowly. I just wonder if and how many years it will take before they show signs of coming back here again.

Instant Answers: Tyresta

Comments

Tyresta Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tyresta things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tyresta sightseeing.