Places to eat in Uppsala

Katalin: My escalopes of pork dish
    Restaurant Korfu: Lättöl
    Katalin and all that Jazz

Most Viewed Restaurants in Uppsala

Katalin and all that Jazz

by HORSCHECK Written Dec 1, 2013

In the early evening of my second day in Uppsala I met VT member MalenaN for dinner at Katalin, which is a good mixture of a restaurant, pub and music venue. Also it was just the perfect place for a mini VT meeting.

Due to its location in an old warehouse, the atmosphere is quite casual and the food is moderately priced. The interior consist of one large room with several bars, sitting areas and a small stage for live acts. In summer a large wooden outdoor terrace is available as well.

The menu offers a small but decent selection of Swedish and international dishes from Hungarian gulash to a local fish soup. I decided for the escalopes of pork with potatoes and salad (180 SEK) and a local Eriksberg beer (65 SEK). I was really satisfied with my meal.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Interesting enough during my 7 days in Sweden I recognised the first and only waiter who didn't seem to speak English, which actually wasn't a problem for me as I had a local expert with me.

Like on many evenings in Katalin a live act started at around 20:00 h. The music was not too loud in the back part of the place, but still could be a bit disturbing when you are here for talks. Otherwise it can be a good excuse to enjoy a couple of drinks and listen to some music.

Katalin: Backside entrance Katalin: My escalopes of pork dish Katalin and all that Jazz

Restaurant Korfu

by HORSCHECK Updated Dec 1, 2013

After arrival in Uppsala in the afternoon, I took a first wander around the city centre and also checked out possible restaurants for dinner.

More by chance I came across Restaurant Korfu, which looked appealing to me, due to a good choice of meals for affordable prices. Some people were already sitting inside, which I thought could be a good sign for a Wednesday evening.

The restaurant consists of a long room with simple wooden furniture. I took a seat near the window and perused the menu with its selection of greek and international dishes as well as a variety of pizzas.

As they seemed to be specialised in greek dishes, I opted for the Souvlaki (169 SEK) and washed it down with a local light beer (Lättöl, 30 SEK). This evening was my first night after three days in Stockholm with football and proper beer drinking, so this time I was happy to have a light beer.

The Souvlaki came with a bowl of potato wedges as side dish and was just the right thing for this evening to keep me happy. The waitress was very friendly and like most Swedes spoke good English.

Restaurant Korfu: Souvlaki Restaurant Korfu Restaurant Korfu: L��tt��l

Jalla Kebab

by HORSCHECK Written Dec 1, 2013

As due to good weather I was very active on my third day in Uppsala and on a side trip to Sigtuna, I didn't want to look for a restaurant for dinner for too long. So I went to the fast food restaurant Jalla Kebab, which I noticed already the days before as being well frequented by all sorts of people.

The meal has to be ordered at the counter and the choice ranges from Turkish kebabs to Italian pizza. The sauce to each dish can be chosen and all dishes include a free softdrink.

I opted for a Kebab Meal (79 SEK) and took a seat at the window facing the square Stora Torget. My meal was quite filling, which was exactly what I wanted. Staff was surprisingly very friendly.

So Jalla Kebab seems to be a good and cheap option for a quick meal in a prime location.

Jalla Kebab Inside Jalla Kebab Jalla Kebab: My Kebab Meal

Jalla Kebab & Pizza: popular kebab place among students

by marielexoteria Updated Nov 19, 2007

If you're hungry for kebabs and have a tight budget then visit Jalla. Their prices start at 45 SEK and the most expensive kebab dish you can get costs 79 SEK (around 12US). They also are quick to serve you the food, which is good when you're on the run. To make the kebab dish more nutritious they serve it with lettuce, tomato and onion (I don't eat onions), and a soft drink is included in the price.

If you don't feel like having a kebab they also sell pizzas.

I wrote that the price per person is between 11 and 20 US dollars because I counted the most expensive kebab dish. All the dishes can be made into children's menu with a reduction of 10 SEK on the price. Student discount available when showing your student card.

Favorite Dish: Their kebab dish with fries and mild or garlic sauce.

Jalla
    • Study Abroad

Cupido Café & Restaurang: good food, low prices

by marielexoteria Updated Apr 4, 2011

I got curious about this place because whenever I would walk by it, it's always been full with people, the lines have been long and it'd always smell good from there. So one day I ate lunch there. Their portions are good and the prices are low in comparison to other restaurants. They have an all you can eat lunch buffet for 75 SEK that includes the dish of the day, bread and butter, a soft drink, salad and coffee.

If their buffet doesn't sound (or look) appealing to you they have these alternatives:
    Baked potato with the mixture (röra) of your choice 60 SEK
    Pasta of your choice 75 SEK
    Everyday Swedish food (husmanskost) 75 SEK:-
    Pie and omelet of your choice 65 SEK
    Mix salad 75 SEK / Wok 20 SEK/hectogram.

There's student discount available.

Favorite Dish: Their lasagna.

• Study Abroad

Restaurang Alexander: good Greek place

by marielexoteria Updated Nov 29, 2007

They serve Greek and Swedish specialities (with a Greek touch I'd say). I liked their pasta and Mr. Sweden liked their beef. Good service, nice decor that suits either a business dinner or a romantic soirée.

Map from their website
    • Business Travel

Max: hamburgers Swedish style

by marielexoteria Updated Dec 20, 2007

Most of (if not all) the time we don't travel to other countries to eat hamburgers but the reason this place made it to my list is because they taste different compared to Burger King and McDonald's. Their menu is easily adaptable to those with different food allergies, which is a big plus. I think these hamburgers are less fatty than all the others and you can always change your fries (and theirs are good!) for fruit or green salad and your coca cola (or other soda pop) for orange or apple juice or a bottle of water (+5 SEK when you buy a whole meal, I think). For those who read Swedish, DN (a Swedish newspaper) can be read while you eat.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Trattoria Commedia: the best Italian in town!

by marielexoteria Updated Jun 27, 2008

This is what the locals consider the best Italian restaurant in the city, and I can't help but agree with them. I found Trattoria Commedia because I wanted to eat a good pasta with pesto genovese dish, and although they didn't serve that dish, I had a very good meal.

The restaurant is "housed" on an old building that used to be a pharmacy in 1904. The restaurant opened for business in 1985 and the owners consider it "the one genuine Italian restaurant in Uppsala".

We came to the restaurant at 6:05'ish and it was already almost full! This mostly because there were a lot of booked tables. One of the reviews at the yellow pages says that it's recommended to book in advance because they're very popular...I'd say do so if you're celebrating a special occasion but I don't know how long the waiting is if you come after 6pm.

In addition to the dishes, they have prepared 3 3-course menus, but you can either buy 2 courses or 3.

Favorite Dish: I chose 2 courses from the 3-course menu Baci e abbracci. The bruschetta was to die for (with the exception of some intruders also known as onions), and the canneloni filled with ricotta and spinach was just too good to be true!

Mr. Sweden had "Nodino alla Casanova" and can highly recommend it.

Location map

• Palermo Pizza: This place is always the same

by Uppsala_swimmer Updated Sep 1, 2004

This place looks a bit decadent but the pizzas are great and you will always find people there. Someone said that restaurants in Uppsala come and go, but Palermo has always and will always be there ....

Favorite Dish: Any pizza or pasta

• Thoomuch's Profile Photo

TRATTORIA COMMEDIA: Splendid Italian food

by Thoomuch Written May 24, 2005

Italian restaurant near the citycenter with splendid food, and also big portions.....
    I suggest that you make an reservation to be sure to get a table...it is quite popular...

Favorite Dish: Everything i have tasted so far has been very good.....

China Garden: Restaurant with Chinese and Japanese food. Buffet,

by t_cims Written Jul 8, 2008

Restaurant with Chinese and Japanese food. Buffet, a la carte. Open Sundays.

Banquet capacity: 120

Open: Mon-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 12noon-11pm, Sun 12noon-10pm

Deviations from normal open hours:Christmas, New Years´s, and Twelfth Night:

Wine Bar: Katalin

För bordsbokning ring 018-144 144
    Eller maila på vinbar@katalin.com
    Vi erbjuder gärna menyförslag om önskemål finns.

Vi har möjlighet att ta emot sällskap upp till 50 personer där vi skräddarsyr koncept , menyer och dryckes paket enligt gästens önskemål.

Favorite Dish: För bordsbokning ring 018-144 144
    Eller maila på vinbar@katalin.com
    Vi erbjuder gärna menyförslag om önskemål finns.

300° bar and grill: 300° bar and grill

by t_cims Written Dec 26, 2007

Favorite Dish: Restaurant in Scandic Uplandia Hotel in central Uppsala. A la carte menu with modern food and seasonal dishes.

a la carte menu: Baren & Baren

by t_cims Written Dec 26, 2007

Restaurant with a la carte menu, tapas and light meals. Centrally located pub environment, outdoor seating also. Recommended minimum age: 23. Sports are shown every day on three large-screen television sets. Open Sundays.

• Forsberg21's Profile Photo

Il Forno a Legna: Pricey but very tasty

by Forsberg21 Updated Apr 4, 2011

VERY "mysig" - cozy - restaurant just on the outskirts of the city centrum.

The pizzas are definitely cheaper than the larger dishes. The larger dishes can run you 150-250 SEK (roughly $20-$30 USD), so considering that one usually gets drinks and the wine is a good idea, I'm putting the price estimate a little higher than the money I'd fork over as a student.

Favorite Dish: I like the Pizza Catanese very much. I haven't tried all the items I'd like to try, but that pizza is a winner thus far!

• Wine Tasting

Uppsala Hotels

• Villa Anna Hotel

Odinslund 3, Uppsala, 753 10, Sweden

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Clarion Hotel Gillet

I litle more then the avrege hotel, but it is all aboute Kvality, and realy good service and near...

• Akademihotellet

i have stayed many times at the Akademihotellet and enjoyed every minute. the location is great and...

Latest Uppsala Hotel Reviews

Latest: Jun 29, 2014
Akademihotellet
Latest: May 31, 2014

Instant Answers: Uppsala

Comments

Uppsala Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Uppsala locals.
Map of Uppsala