Tärnaby Off The Beaten Path

Char, isn't it Red?

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Tärnaby

Famous Moutains and Names

Sytertoppen

Can be seen in the area! This is Sytertoppen (1797m) and is a holy mountain for the Sami's.
    The names on places as mountains, lakes and villages are all on Sami language and it can be really tricky sometime to figure out for the Swedes and foreign tourists what the mean.. Just ask a local and he'll explaine it for you!

Chars

Char, isn't it Red?

Arctic Char is a famous and exotic fish who lives in mountains lakes and brooks. This has been an important fish for the sami's and the local people. It's almost the only fish that you can catch in the winters and they like cold water temps.
    I hope you not miss this when you're here. Mail me about wich lake to go to and I'll give you my secrets. (The reason why I'm being so kind to give away this is because I don't think there will be any VT:er who will go fishing here, the first one who does I'll join myself! :-))

• Fishing

Cross Country Skiing

only 700km left...

Well literally this couple did! They stayed at the same youth hostel that I did for two days, they were skiing across middle and north Sweden! 1500km... I got really impressed...and this is my tribute to them!
    Many skiiers pass by here and I met some when I was out riding my snowcat.

• Skiing and Boarding

Old Woodsheds

Woodshed

Why is it so that they always have to be so perfectly located? I have realized that I always see beautiful surroundings when I see a Woodshed!
    The area around Tärnaby is full of these small beautiful builings.

Wild Reindeer

(Wild Reindeer) Caribou

Wild Reindeers are quite rare around here, they exist more for North of Sweden but luckely I saw two on my way home!
    They are magnificent animals and larger than the ordinary Reindeer. They are also much more reserved.

The ski slopes

Ski slopes of T��rnaby

Are open until may. I can really recommend some turns in the slopes where Ingemar Stenmark once trained in.
    The location of Tärnaby makes it a quite unattracktive area for skiiers around Sweden so be sure that you are alone at least for some hours!
    Don't miss the off-pist if you're an enthusiast!

Snowcats

Pic taken in 80km/h

Is the exchange for cars in the winters, if you're going somewhere, you're going with a snowcat. The larger roads are open but they don't lead you anywhere.
    It's when you're using a snowcat you're able to see something. This is quite expensive if you don't own one or know somebody who has one.
    But I can tell you, it's worth it!
    It's easy, and it's quite safe!

• dave_21's Profile Photo

Sunrise really warms up everything

by dave_21 Updated May 22, 2003

I met a complete silence when I took the first steps outside for the day, it was around 05:00 in the morning and I was out with my snowcat early in the morning too get a chance to see the famous large Elk who lives in this area. It was April but it was still -20C this morning. I was amazed that as soon as the sun came up, every animal in the wood started make noises.
    I didn't see a elk, but from now on I know wich time of the day I'm going out for wildlife when I am here in the winters!
    So if you have the chance to come here at winters! Be sure to be up before dawn if you like wildlife!

Wildlife

Wich track?

The chance of taking a picture of a wild animal is low, but to spot them from a far distance is quite common.
    The area has Reineer, (Wild Reindeer, Caribou) Lynx, Elk, Wolverine, Bear and Weasel and many more.
    I was able to see tracks of Wolverine and Lynx at my last visit.

Snow that melts

Snow

But not until may, so if you're going here make sure it is between late June - Late august.
    If you're planing a hiking trip, be sure to bring rubber boots because the spring flood keeps on going until middle of July.

Tärnaby's many rivers

Ume��lven

Is exiting both in winters and summers. In the winters they are exiting because there is so much going on around them. Elks, Reindeers and other large animals are all in search of water.
    That's why you could be pretty sure that these animals maybe are here when you're there.
    Summers are also exiting with lots of insects, mosquitos are the most common provoking insects. But there are also mosquitos and mosquitos, did I mention mosquitos? Well as you probably understand there are lots of fish where there is a lot of insects so my recommend is go to Umeälven (the river on the photo) and make a fire for the mosquitos. And try catch a fish!! It's easy here!

Let us all realize

Shadow of a birch

That there is no such things as unspoiled countryside? Or is it? There are few places in the world when human have never been. Ok do not include Antarctica, Arctic, Greenland, Deserts as Sahara. These areas are almost unaccessable. The parts of the world who is accessable and reachable who has unspoiled countryside should be happy. And I call this parts unspoiled.
    I call this area in north Sweden unspoiled countryside. And that's why this photo goes so well with the tip. This photo of the birch is taken 30km directly North of the small town of Tärnaby, 30km through birch forest.

And I don't think anyone has seen it before.

Instant Answers: Tärnaby

Comments

Tärnaby Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Tärnaby off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tärnaby sightseeing.