Nightclubs and bars in Göteborg

Irish Pub - The Dubliner
    by HORSCHECK
  • Irish Pub - Bar with various beers on tap
    Irish Pub - Bar with various beers on...
    by HORSCHECK
  • Two pretty babes from South America joined me this
    Two pretty babes from South America...
    by Dizzyhead

Most Viewed Nightlife in Göteborg

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Excet: kool bar

by marielexoteria Updated Sep 9, 2007

I discovered Excet on my second trip to Gothenburg. This bar's target group is 25+, open only on weekends. They had 2 floors with dance floors. On the ground floor they have a closet where you leave your coat (25SEK), as this is mandatory (or so I experienced it). I didn't stay long but their staff made a good impression on me.

I liked the music they played (techno, electronic). This is the place to shake it.

Dress Code: Casual/Leisure. I didn't see anyone with sneakers or jeans with holes so I guess this is the way to go.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Skål: Cosy bar with good beer

by Henrik_rrb Written Feb 10, 2007

The pub Skål is situated in Vasastan, close to the cathedral and 500 meters from the Avenyn (biggest street in Gothenburg). It's a very nice pub, always packed, without being too packed. They have 5-6 different kinds of beer in barrel, and a huge collection of liquor. Always a nice atmosphere, and quite good prices on the alcohol too.

I think the owner is an englishman, at least he doesn't speak swedish, but what sounds like british.
    Have been here a few times with my friends, and always had a great time. Have never had any problems to find a table, despite being with a quite huge gang of people.

Dress Code: Come as you are, without stripping. :)

Nivå: The hip place

by Henrik_rrb Written Jun 25, 2005

This restaurant/pub/disco/nightclub is situated on the big street Avenyn in Gothenburg. So far I have never actually been there in the night, but the lunches I sure can recommened!

In the nights, specially during the weekends this place is one of the hottest in Gothenburg, with a lot of party! Or as they write on their homepage "we promise to deliver more love than any other place in town".

What that means you'll have to check out for yourselves... :D

Wednesdays, fridays and saturdays are the best days to get here, when the dancefloor will be packed and the alcohol running.

The age limits are quite hard at Nivå, meaning that the official limit to get inside is 26 or 27 years old (you can't be younger, strange swedish "rules") depending on which day it is.

If you're a good looking girl you shouldn't have to worry about the age limit though, as long as you're at close to 18 that is.

The music is mixed, depending on which day it is. Everything from the latest commercial music to swedish schlagers and songs from the 60-ties.

Opening hours:
    Monday: 11.30-14 (only lunch)
    Tuesday: 11.30-00 (depending on the season)
    Wednesday-thursday: 11.30-03.00 (free entrance both days. Age limit 25 on wednesday, 27 on thursday)
    Friday: 11.30-04.00 (entrance fee 70 SEK, age limit 27 years)
    Saturday: 18.00-04.00 (entrance 100 SEK, age limit 27 years).
    Sunday: Closed.

Dress Code: Dress quite nice.
    Entrance fee of 100 SEK (11 euro) on fridays and saturdays.

• Music

The Dubliner: Best Irish pub

by Henrik_rrb Written Nov 25, 2006

It's hard to not like a place where I get the first four beers for free during my first visit... :)
    The Dubliner, although mostly known here as "Dubliners", is a wellknown Irish pub in the central parts of Gothenburg. Great place to stay, no matter if the beers are free or not.
    It's located in the center of the Avenyn, and has plenty of space. The beer is quite cheap, about 4-4,50 euro for a pint and although I could wish for more different kinds of beer they have one that I really like at least.
    A dutch one, with a name that is so long that I've of course forgotten about it... ;)

I've also been told that Irish pubs in Sweden should have Magners, a look-alike copy of the Irish cider Bulmers.

The free beers? Well, long story... I went to Dubliners on a Wednesday evening with some friends, and when I went to the bar desk I managed to turn over a bottle of beer at the desk, which were far from anyone. Half empty, and I thought it didn't belong to anyone.
    Until three minutes later, when a woman comes up to me and "hey stupid, that was my beer"...

Great start of the evening... I asked if she wanted a new one, and there was no chance she would turn that offer down, she wasn't one of the polite persons in Gothenburg...

So I got her another beer, and apparently the bartender had seen the whole thing, so he refused to take my money.

Thanks, mate!

Which was more than the woman said... Ugly bastard...

Later on that evening it was my turn to buy the round, and I went to the bar desk again. Ordered three glasses of that dutch beer, but then of course it was finished in the beer barrel.

No problem, as it was replaced two minutes later with another one.
    But the bartender again refused to take my money, due to the delay.
    Although at this point started to wonder if this guy was looking for something else than just a "thanks"... :)

My friends didn't care though, as they sent me up to the desk another couple of times, with the hope of more free beers...
    My luck for that evening was over though.

Dress Code: No need to dress up very good go get in here, but of course it helps to look at least decent.

Dubliner is something between a restaurant, pub and sportsbar, as it specially during the weekends is crowded with people who wants to see the Premier League-games on big tv-screens.

Mi Casa: Tapas bar

by Henrik_rrb Written Nov 25, 2006

In the middle of Vasagatan, one of the streets with a lot of pubs and places, you'll find the tapas bar Mi Casa. From the name I take it it's spanish, but I can't really say I got a spanish feeling in there.
    Have never tried the tapas, as we only went there to have a few beers.

They have a quite funny beer menu, where you can get a small (0,2 liter) and a big beer (0,4 liter) for a special price. Price for that was 59 SEK (6 euro)

Unfortunately it was again crappy Spendrups-beer I got for that, but better than nothing. You could also have a Carlsberg or Pripps, but...

Well, not among my favourites. Liked Carlsberg before, but either that, or me, has changed taste the last year.

Of course, since it's a spanish place, you can also find a lot of spanish/latin beers here, as Corona, San Miguel and Estrella.

The atmosphere in there is nice and calm, there are one big room, and then another smaller one inside the local. Good service, and quite nice prices. Perfect to go out for a pre-party, with some food and a first couple of beers.

Also a place I would consider bringing a girl for a romantic date.

Dress Code: Nothing special.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Nefertiti: Open late at night...

by Henrik_rrb Written Feb 10, 2007

Nefertiti is the place I use to go to when I'm not clever enough to go home in the night... In other words, this place closes late.
    It's quite big, with both a bar and a huge dance floor. Quite often there are also live music.
    The guests are normally not very well dressed, it's a bit shady place, but very nice. Sometimes nice to be able to go out without having to dress up in a jacket.

I have never been dancing at Nefertiti, the times I've been here has been after 2am, when we just have slipped in a for last couple of beers, normally standing in the bar talking. The music isn't too loud there, so it's always possible to talk. Worse if you go out on the dance floor. Music is normally not something normal. More often house music, but not music that I would say that everyone knows.

The club started in 1978, and is apparently one of the most famous in the Nordic countries, having over 200 concerts here every year. It's some kind of jazz club, that also, as writen above, plays a lot of house, reggae and electronic music. Can't say I have ever been here with the feeling of dancing, but it's a nice place to have some late beers, seeing that the place closes down at 5am.

Have always been an entrance fee when I've been here, about 100 SEK. For concerts it's different fee, check their homepage for more information.

Dress Code: No need to dress up extra.

• MickeH's Profile Photo

Biljardpalatset: Pooltables and big screen sports.

by MickeH Written Apr 19, 2006

This is the bigget place in town if you like to shoot some pool. They have a whole floor filled with tables downstairs, and some more upstairs. There are also the obligatory projectors showing sport, mainly football and hockey.
    I have never tried to eat here, so I can't offer a comment on the standard of the food, but you probably don't go here for that. It can be crowded so you might have to wait for a table to become free, but most days that's not a problem, and absolutley not in the middle of the day. Even if you have to wait they have 28 tables so you usually don't have to wait for long.

Vasastan: Really cheap beer

by Henrik_rrb Written Nov 25, 2006

Shortly west of the famous Avenyn you'll find a great area for late evenings with beer drinking included. One of the best pubs are the one that also has the same name as the area, Vasastan.

Depending on the evening it can be a hot nightclub, or a calm pub. First time I was there it was packed with people, and with a music volume that was higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris... ;)

Second time, a thursday evening, was much calmer, and we even found ourselves a nice couple of sofas, where we could sit down and relax over a couple of beers.

Best thing with the pub is the prices. A beer cost just 25 SEK.

But Vasagatan is actually not a pub, nor a nightclub. It's a tavern, and was voted "Gothenburg's best tavern" in 2004. I've never eaten there, but according to the rumours the food is great.

Every friday they have a huge "after work" and after 22.00 the place turns into a club disco. Which probably must have been what I ran into the first time there...?

Unfortunately they only have Spendrups on barrel, but as long as it costs only 25 SEK (2,60 euro) I guess I shouldn't complain. Drinks costs from 47 SEK.

Opening hours:
    Sunday-Thursday 17-01.00
    Friday-Saturday 16-03.00

Costs 20 SEK to put your jacka in the wardrobe, which is a must. Which in other words is an entrance fee.

Dress Code: Dress normal.

• Music

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Delirium Café: So many different beers...

by Henrik_rrb Written May 27, 2007

Not really sure how I have managed to miss this place for so many years, but Delirium Café for sure is the paradise for beer lovers! The bar has over 2500 different beers from all over the world. When I checked through the list last night (and it's a whole map, 100-150 pages) I found beers from every continent, from Sweden to Sri Lanka, from Belgium to Trinidad. All in all, there are beers from 70 countries all over the world.

They also have 37 different beers on tap, but most of the beers are naturally in bottles. Prices are a bit higher than normally in Gothenburg, paying 6 euro for a 33 cl bottle might seem a bit too much, but there are both cheaper and more expensive ones. Were one 3 litre bottle with some belgium beer that costed 100 euro...?

It can be a bit too good too though. For me it was at first paradise when I realised I could drink all the beers I had tried during my trips abroad, but after drinking Carib (Trinidad, tasted like water here), Kölsch (Germany, tasted very strange) and Super Bock (Portugal) I realised it was only the last one that was alright, and none of them were even close to the good taste I thought it was when I was drinking the beers in the original country.

So from now on I'll just use this place when I'm in the mood for something new. Will never again destroy a nice travel memory (or at least a beer memory...) through drinking the beer at home too!

Sri Lanka beer next, any tips? :)

Dress Code: It's a pub, come as you want.
    Also possible to eat here, although the food looked quite classy, so I don't think it's the usual fish N chips price...

Score: Best sportpub?

by Henrik_rrb Written Jun 27, 2007

The sport pub, with the hitting name Score, is at least one of the two best sport pubs in Gothenburg. Situated a short walk (8-10 minutes) from the Avenyn you'll here find a pub that on big matchdays is crowded with people, sitting and standing everywhere to get a good view from one of the dozens of tv-screens. They show everything here, swedish league, Premier league, Serie A, La Liga, international games and have all the good sport channels, including pay per view-games.

You can eat and drink, a bit costly to eat I would like to say (109 SEK (11,50 euro) for a hamburger) and 45-50 SEK for a beer.
    But if you want to see a game on the telly, this is the place to visit.

Dress Code: Anyone gets in.
    If you want to sit down, make sure to make a reservation before. Either by phone, +46 31 13 64 65, or by e-mail (info@scorebar.se). Then write down your name, how many persons you are, the game you wish to see, and at what time you'll be arriving. Then the table will be waiting for you.

• Theme Park Trips
    • School Holidays

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

Nefertiti: Going out for Jazz and Funk

by gubbi1 Written May 26, 2005

Nefertiti is a Jazz club, which offers concerts, but also evenings for dancing. At least in my time 1996-2000 it was quite popular, but it seems nothing changed when looking at the concerts they offer.

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

Henriksberget: Pub with nice view

by gubbi1 Written May 26, 2005

Henriksberget is a nice pub at Stigbergstorget in Masthugget. I like the place because in summer you can go up on the roof from where you have a nice view on the harbour. Enjoyed it ther very much. Also they have concerts there. In case you can read swedish, check the homepage.

• Cogee's Profile Photo

Valand: Old and reliable

by Cogee Written Oct 2, 2004

Somehow me and my friends always seem to end up at Valand for some reason. It's a reasonably big place with two dance floors, three bars if I remember correctly. Sometimes there are concerts. There's also a restaurant in the same bulding.

Dress Code: Nothing special, but I think the bouncers sometime make one up....

• MickeH's Profile Photo

Paddington's: Great place!

by MickeH Updated May 19, 2007

This place is a classic in Gothenburg. A favourite with the expats, it is run by an english guy that has to be among the best barkeeps in all of Gothenburg.

Good atmosphere, it has the feel of a local pub although people all over the city come here. The right volume on the music and a relaxed pace all around.

And beeing an english pub there is off course sports on the telly. They show most football matches and you can call them and check for other events as well. Things aren't centered around the tv's though, so you can easily have a beer and some food even though it's a game on. Unless it's a
    big game in which case it will be insanely crowded.

Thusedays are quiz night, and they are generally really fun. And in english so no worries about language either.

Extra tips:
    Their fish & chips are huge and good as well. Talk about value for money.

This is Iron Maidens favourite place in Gothenburg. They even played a football match against the pubs team before the last concert!

• Cogee's Profile Photo

Tranquilo: Can't stand still!

by Cogee Written Sep 21, 2006

As I mentioned in my restaurant tip for the same place it's cool and colourful! Bright colours on the walls and a cosy cellar downstairs. Often very crowded though, but that's part of the fun.
    The DJ plays latino/brazilian tunes and the bar serves you the best caipherinas in town! Plenty of flavours to choose from!

Göteborg Hotels

Latest: Mar 25, 2014
Rica Hotel Goteborg
Latest: Apr 3, 2014

Instant Answers: Göteborg

Comments

Göteborg Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Göteborg locals.
Map of Göteborg