Fishing, Göteborg

Know about this? Rate It!

• Fishing
    by Todd64
  • Todd64's Profile Photo

Hangin' with the Homey's...

by Todd64 Updated Oct 28, 2003

I did something that I never thought I'd do; I actually went fishing.
    My friend's father is now a private fishing guide, so she and I went out with him and about 20 other people in beautiful weather one morning to fish the waters of the Kattegat.

What a great way to spend the day!

For I think a mere SEK 350 or $40.00 USD (we fished for free for obvious reasons) you can catch the vessel at Saltholmen (#11 Tram) and spend the day aboard his ex-naval Corvette; the Tumlaren, fishing for Mackarel. Be warned though, you must bring your own lunch and snacks for this is no luxury cruise, and I also recommend a couple of bottles of water and a hat; the Swedish sun is hide-rippin' strong out on the water. You should also know that on your way back (around 15:00) Capt. Leif will make a couple of stops throughout the Archipelago to drop off various gifts and groceries for his neighbors and you'll also want to take a shower and rest a bit when you return to shore, so make sure to plan nothing else for that day until at least the evening. And hey, even if you don't have an interest in fishing, I guarantee you one amazing tan.

Capt. Leif speaks English very well, so don't let him try to fool you into thinking he doesn't-he's a kidder and a really great guy. Oh,..and don't mention any sort of affection you may have for Canada Geese; the Captain hates them and vows to hunt and eat every last one. A little disturbing being that they are one of my country's national symbols. :o)

• Fishing