Maritiman Maritime Centre, Göteborg

• hevbell's Profile Photo

MARITIMA CENTRUM

by hevbell Updated Apr 4, 2011

goteburg maritima centrum

Unfortunately I was feeling REALLY tired and my feet were killing me by the time I reached this museum at Lilla Bomen so I decided I'd go back the next day if I had time, which in the end I didn't.. It looked interesting though. A number of moored boats that you can look around including, I believe, a submarine. Still, it was interesting to see them even from the outside!

• Sailing and Boating

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Maritiman Ships Museum

by Sjalen Updated Jun 15, 2006

The Maritiman is a museum in the form of a ship collection along the river - in fact the World's largest ship collection on show. Here you can find the famous naval vessel HMS Småland with her cannons as well as a submarine to climb down, a local fishing boat, a lighthouse ship, a wharf transporter, an old Paddan canal boat and many others. I never went here when I lived in town but only later when my daughter asked me and then I wondered why I hadn't gone before as it was so fascinating! The main pull is of course the HMS Småland which you can walk around in along a marked trail, with extras such as a visit to the torpedo room and the engine. This trail also takes you down the submarine which is unusual in that it is shown still in the water and it has to be visited by climing down it the proper way. An old wharf ferry serves as the entrance and also has a nice cafe.

• Sailing and Boating

• Manara's Profile Photo

In the Navy...

by Manara Updated Dec 10, 2008

I know I am not saying anything new, because many other people are recommending this place, but the Maritiman is really something unique.

My partner had enjoyed very much our visits to the HMS Belfast, in London, so I was sure he would love the Maritiman, with its 19 vessels. What I did not expect was that I would enjoy it so much myself. There is something of everything here, including a warship and a submarine, and it is really a place where one can spend an entire day. Also our lunch in the café was very good.

In summer this open-air naval museum is open from 10 am to 18.

• Joacim's Profile Photo

The world is not enough!

by Joacim Written Aug 30, 2008

Gothenburg Concert Hall

These boats have travelled the world around so many times that it is not worth counting anymore. It is the largest floting maritime museeum in the world with 19 unique vessel, each and everyone with an exciting history to tell.

Wander around the boats, go down in the submarine, and finish it off with a beer in the bar to encourage the boyhood dream many had to become a sailor and visit all places around the world.

A perfect way to spend a afternoon!

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

A unique peak in navy ships

by sandravdp Updated Nov 14, 2007

Marcel and I at a navy ship

In Holland I can rarely take a peak in navy ships. Only at 'open days' of the navy once a year or at the 'Sail' event at Amsterdam once every two years. But there are long queues, you have to get in with many people and sometimes you have to pay large sums of money.

At the maritiman museum of boats and ships, you get to see about 7 ships / boats for a friendly price. No queues, no waiting and not lots of people. Amazing! Marcel and I went into a submarine on ourselves and no one was there. All the time to view, explore and take pictures. Same thing at the big navy ship and the light ship. A great experience.

• sabe's Profile Photo

Go down to the harbor down...

by sabe Updated Aug 24, 2002

Go down to the harbor down town and you can take a look inside a real Submarine! Fun, but claustrophobic. And while there you can stick your face in a thingy like this one! And then you can put it up on your VT page and be a dork, just like me! (I'm the third from the left)
    Dork factor=2

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Yellow submarine

by mauro_pd Updated Jan 18, 2004

Not really yellow but for sure submarine :-) ... special exhibition dedicated to the underwater world at the Marina Center.
    Even if you are not a fanatic, it's not so bad to deep yourself in these "big steel boxes" ... and feel how small they are from inside.

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Love boats?

by darkjedi Updated Mar 30, 2007

Ship museum from the river

Goteborg Maritime Center is the worlds largest museum of ships. There are 19 ships, boats and barges, including a cargo ship, paddan boat, submarine and the largest of which is the destroyer Smaland.

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Maritim museum

by mauro_pd Updated Feb 11, 2004
    Cannot be skipped :-(

Not really in my heart ... anyhow going there in a cloudy & windy day can give a good feeling.
    Test it, more for atmosphere than other. and if you never been inside a boat here you can do it.

• Theme Park Trips