Käringön Restaurants

My Långarygg fish with lemony crust.....
    Oh holy fish trinity - the starters
    by Trekki
  • ... finish with Irish Coffee - don't forget ferry!
    ... finish with Irish Coffee - don't...

Most Recent Restaurants in Käringön

• sim1's Profile Photo

Peterson's Krog!: Relaxing atmosphere, excellent setting

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Interior of Peterson's Krog

One of my favourite restaurants in Sweden is without a doubt Peterson's Krog. It's probably a combination of many factors that it has become a favourite of mine, one of them being the relaxed atmosphere with an elegant and at the same time cosy interior. No real dress code applies, at least not for lunch. The same relaxed atmosphere of the island seeps through into the restaurant. So as long as you are decently dressed, you seem more then welcome to come in.

Of course I should mention the good food, with a menu list that seems spot on for the location. So you can maybe guess that this means lots of delicious fish dishes! Nothing pretentious; just honest great tasting food!

Another absolute plus is its gorgeous location, right at the water’s edge. They have a terrace outside where you have wonderful views over the sea and the boat traffic coming and going towards the island. A lovely spot to enjoy your lunch on a sunny afternoon. Inside however you are protected from the sea breeze, but he views are just as gorgeous as on the terrace, so this has become my preferred place to sit.

Finally that the restaurant is located in one of my favourite areas of Sweden isn't a bad thing either. No need to say that I try to visit the restaurant every time our car heads towards the west coast! Tip: do try to make reservations in advance! This is a very popular restaurant, so we mostly try to call up front to book a table.

The opening hours vary very much depending on the time of the season. So do check out their opening hours before you go (see their website and choose "hours"), and otherwise give them a call to make a 100% sure that they are open.

The only real disadvantage is its remote location and maybe more so the ferry times to and from the island. Going here for lunch is no problem at all. Dinner however requires a bit more planning as the latest ferry goes around 8 o'clock back to the mainland and even worse, already at 6 o'clock during the weekends! So your only way out is to book accommodation on the island to enjoy a relaxed dinner at Peterson's or alternatively book a boat taxi back to the mainland.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Peterson's Krog: The place to be for some delicious food

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Toast Skagen

So let me give you a little taste of the menu at Peterson's Krog. During our latest visit we started off our lunch with a classical Swedish dish called "Toast Skagen". This is a delicious combination of shrimp and dill mayonnaise on a small piece of sautéd bread. It was served with some whitefish roe and a sprig of dill on top and some salad on the side. Together with a glass of South African dry white wine it was an excellent start to our meal. "Toast Skagen" is one of my absolute favourites among the traditional Swedish dishes. If you are in a nice restaurant and see this dish on the menu and I can really recommend to give it a try.

We continued on with my all-time favourite at Petersons Krog: their fish soup! I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would be on the menu again today (they have a daily menu, so you never know!), and luckily it was. So without hesitation I ordered it, and it was just as delcious as I remembered it to be.

As dessert Åke and I choose two different dishes, I went for the Crème brûlée while Åke opted for the Chocolate and Hazelnut Brownie. Both dishes were generous portions (like all their dishes seem to be) and nothing less than delicious! The Crème brûlée was one of the best I ever had, and still my eyes were a bit jealous when I saw the delicious looking dessert of Åke come in. A yummy looking brownie served with icecream on top and some super fresh and sweet strawberries on the side.

As I said they have a daily menu list. Below is the menu served during our visit in the beginning of June 2008:

Starters
    Toast Skagen: 99kr
    Smörrebröd: 89kr (with salmon 119kr)
    Ceasar salad with tandori chicken: 119kr

Rhubarb soup: 85kr
    Crème brûlée: 85kr
    Truffel: 25kr

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Peterson's Krog, simply the best!

by Trekki Updated Oct 19, 2009

Oh holy fish trinity - the starters

Oh well…. Peterson’s Krog is such an excellent restaurant that I will not only put it on my Sweden page but also on my Europe page. It is… the best! However, I can only write prosa here and am not able to give prices, because.. yes, because the visit on Käringön and dinner at Peterson’s Krog was my birthday gift from dear Simone and Åke. They could not have selected a better one, and to be precise no one else but them could have selected a better one than the island and this restaurant, because it was special. All was special. The restaurant itself is located at Käringön’s harbour, and the interior decoration is very pleasant, very pretty with little maritime things here and there. They divided the surface into several little rooms, which makes it even more intimate to dine here. And yes, it is dining (not merely eating). Their dishes… oh my god, it was pure seafood heaven! The starters consisted of three different fish in different preparation: sill (herring), salmon and haddock and they all melted on the tongue. My main dish was a white fish (Långarygg, but I didn't find the English name, not on Wikipedia :-( ), covered with a thin lemony crust on vegetables and served with mashed potatoes. I swear that the mashed potatoes tasted better than anywhere on the planet! I don’t like mashed potatoes but here I could have ordered more and more and more. And the desert… sweet Simone & Åke obviously told them that it was my birthday and so they came with the lemony desert decorated with a burning sparkler and sang happy birthday. How cute!! I am sure that I had tears in my eyes because I was so moved.
    As I said: I do not know how much the bill came to, because it was part of my birthday gift. But have a look at Simone’s page, she also describes the magic of Peterson’s Krog.

Haha, that all said: I know what I will most probably have as a birthday gift in some years for one of the next half century ones.

Favorite Dish: Update, shortly after:
    Hahaha, I am almost rolling on the floor laughing!! Thanks dear Simone for translating the mysterious fish Långarygg :-) It is called Långa in Swedish and rygg is... back or Rücken in German. Swedish words are often very similar to German words and if I would have read the dish name/fish name loudly, I would/should have realised it. So, the Långa fish is common ling and what is even more funny is that it is called Leng in German and me, doing corssowrd puzzles from time to time, should know Leng... because it is often part of German crossword puzzles :-)

But whatever the name is, that fish was damn good! Boy was it good!!

Oh, and I forgot one important thing: Peterson's Krog have this lovely habit to hand out postcards to their guests and even mail these for them. So we all three wrote the postcard to a certain Ingrid D. in a certain town i Germany telling her how much fun we had and that we wished she would have been wish us. This card is now hanging at home at a special place and will forever remind me of this most magic day :-) Thanks again, dear S & Å :-)

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Käringön

Comments

Käringön Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Käringön restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Käringön sightseeing.