Kinne-Kleva Travel Guide

Kinne-Kleva Things to Do

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Next to Husaby church is a rather large flat rock with stone carvings which are so typical for Sweden. To my amazement, there wasn’t even a sign at the road, so we first missed the tiny path. How did I found out about these carvings? Haha, you guessed it, I have mentioned this excellent map several times by now: my Freytag & Berndt map had a little icon near Husaby and so we went. But what the rock carvings lacl in road signs they make very much up in descriptions along the viewing path. Sketches of the sections are mounted along the path, each with extensive explanations in Swedish, English and German. We saw feet and wheels and humans and ships in all different sizes. I regretted very much that I don’t know much about the history of Swedish rock carvings other than that they have been made during Nordic Bronze Age. It must be fascinating to read and interpret these and find out more about the ones who carved them and their life. What I also liked is that some of the carvings have been left non-painted by the archaelogogists who have preserved this site. This is, according to the majority of the sources I found, the original carving. Later, they were painted red to make them better visible. On the other hand, I also found one source who wrote that some might have been painted by the carvers already, using iron containing soil for the red colour and a mixture of fat and eggyolk to bind the paint. Whatever is true, they are fascinating to look at.
    In case you calculate your time, try to visit the carvings around noon. Yes, I am aware that this is usually the worst time to take photos, but here the sun will be behind you, shine directly on the carvings. You have to move to get your shadow out of the way though.

Directions:
    From Husaby church, drive/walk/cycle northeast, direction Kinne-Kleva. Count the little paths at the right/east side. It is the second one, just after a little house and garden. The path is leading to the parking lot for the carvings, even if it looks like a private path or road belonging to the house. If you see the sign to turn for Sandtorp to the left, it is too late. Turn back.

Location of Lilla Flyholv on Google Maps.