Places to eat in Västra Götalands län

by HORSCHECK

Most Viewed Restaurants in Västra Götalands län

Peterson's Krog: Relaxing atmosphere, excellent setting

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of my favourite restaurants in Sweden is without a doubt Peterson's Krog. It's probably a combination of many factors that it has become a favourite of mine, one of them being the relaxed atmosphere with an elegant and at the same time cosy interior. No real dress code applies, at least not for lunch. The same relaxed atmosphere of the island seeps through into the restaurant. So as long as you are decently dressed, you seem more then welcome to come in.

Of course I should mention the good food, with a menu list that seems spot on for the location. So you can maybe guess that this means lots of delicious fish dishes! Nothing pretentious; just honest great tasting food!

Another absolute plus is its gorgeous location, right at the water’s edge. They have a terrace outside where you have wonderful views over the sea and the boat traffic coming and going towards the island. A lovely spot to enjoy your lunch on a sunny afternoon. Inside however you are protected from the sea breeze, but he views are just as gorgeous as on the terrace, so this has become my preferred place to sit.

Finally that the restaurant is located in one of my favourite areas of Sweden isn't a bad thing either. No need to say that I try to visit the restaurant every time our car heads towards the west coast! Tip: do try to make reservations in advance! This is a very popular restaurant, so we mostly try to call up front to book a table.

The opening hours vary very much depending on the time of the season. So do check out their opening hours before you go (see their website and choose "hours"), and otherwise give them a call to make a 100% sure that they are open.

The only real disadvantage is its remote location and maybe more so the ferry times to and from the island. Going here for lunch is no problem at all. Dinner however requires a bit more planning as the latest ferry goes around 8 o'clock back to the mainland and even worse, already at 6 o'clock during the weekends! So your only way out is to book accommodation on the island to enjoy a relaxed dinner at Peterson's or alternatively book a boat taxi back to the mainland.

Interior of Peterson's Krog Peterson's Krog Peterson's Krog View from your dinner table

The place to be for some delicious food: Peterson's Krog

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

So let me give you a little taste of the menu at Peterson's Krog. During our latest visit we started off our lunch with a classical Swedish dish called "Toast Skagen". This is a delicious combination of shrimp and dill mayonnaise on a small piece of sautéd bread. It was served with some whitefish roe and a sprig of dill on top and some salad on the side. Together with a glass of South African dry white wine it was an excellent start to our meal. "Toast Skagen" is one of my absolute favourites among the traditional Swedish dishes. If you are in a nice restaurant and see this dish on the menu and I can really recommend to give it a try.

We continued on with my all-time favourite at Petersons Krog: their fish soup! I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would be on the menu again today (they have a daily menu, so you never know!), and luckily it was. So without hesitation I ordered it, and it was just as delicious as I remembered it to be.

As dessert Åke and I choose two different dishes, I went for the Crème brûlée while Åke opted for the Chocolate and Hazelnut Brownie. Both dishes were generous portions (like all their dishes seem to be) and nothing less than delicious! The Crème brûlée was one of the best I ever had, and still my eyes were a bit jealous when I saw the delicious looking dessert of Åke come in. A yummy looking brownie served with ice cream on top and some super fresh and sweet strawberries on the side.

As I said they have a daily menu list. Below is the menu served during our visit in the beginning of June 2008:

Starters
    Toast Skagen: 99kr
    Smörrebröd: 89kr (with salmon 119kr)
    Ceasar salad with tandori chicken: 119kr

Chocolate and hazelnut brownie: 85kr
    Rhubarb soup: 85kr
    Crème brûlée: 85kr
    Truffel: 25kr

Toast Skagen Fiish soup of the house Cr��me br��l��e Brownie with icecream on top and strawberries And on todays menu is.....

Grannens Kök: Delicious and fresh seafood

by sim1 Updated Oct 7, 2007

We enjoyed our dinner at Grannens Kök, which is located at the quay of Marstrand, approx 150 metres to the left from the ferry. This place is a perfect and relaxing dinner spot! When on the west coast of Sweden and this certainly applies to Marstrand, the thing to eat is fish! They have lots to choose from and it is all fresh from the sea. Of course we couldn't resist that temptation and we opted for the "kokta Havskräftor".

These are cooked Norway lobsters (Nephrops norvegicus) or also called Dublin Bay prawn or langoustine. The Havskräftor were served on a bed of ice, accompanied by a great tasting salad and a glass of white wine, which was chilled to perfection. Aaah, my mouth starts to water again thinking back to this delicious meal. It is so simple, but yet so exquisite!

Sitting outside on the terrace in the late afternoon sun, having views out over the harbour, joined by wonderful company and of course this delicious meal, it was a dinner to remember. Having said all this, it is quick clear that I can highly recommend the restaurant. The only downside is that it isn't that cheap, although probably average priced compared to the other restaurants on Marstrand. Our havskräftor were 249,00 SEK, which is approx. 27,00 EUR or 38,00 USD. I don't remember how much the wine was though. Just remember that all alcoholic drinks are always on the expensive side in Sweden.

kokta Havskr��ftor / cooked Norway lobster The menu at Grannens K��k Grannens K��k

Västra Götalands län Hotels

4 Hotels
Lysekil Hotels
22 Reviews - 53 Photos

Instant Answers: Västra Götalands län

Comments

Västra Götalands län Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Västra Götalands län restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Västra Götalands län sightseeing.
Map of Västra Götalands län