Safety Tips in Sweden

• Safety
  • Warnings and Dangers

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Sweden

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Low flying whipped cream and cookies

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Haha, this is also more of a fun warning tip than describing a real danger, provided you are on safe ground. But I don’t write for sailors, because they should know what to do anyhow.
    Sweden’s west coast is beautiful, magic! But, being exposed to the sea the weather can change quite quickly. Even if it is sunny, the sea can become rough and the wind is then very fierce. I love this heavy wind and cannot get enough of it. But…. I made a mental note that will forever stick in my brain (I hope). If it is windy, don’t have your coffee and cake on the deck! Things can get lost during the time the waiter needs to bring them to your table. This is what happened to us when we were in Möllosund during a beautiful sunny and very windy day. Even if we have picked out a place on the deck where it was a bit less windy, the poor waiter had to cross the deck and was exposed to all the wind. We have ordered coffee, tea and cakes with whipped cream. Coffee and tea should have come with a cookie. But…. only half of the whipped cream and cookies arrived with cake, tea and coffee. The others were gone with the wind, lol. We almost rolled on the floor laughing and shared the remaining whipped cream and coffee of course. And we were happy that our cakes were heavy enough to stay on the plate.

But be aware that this easily happens in windy weather. Maybe the fish in Möllosund’s and the other coast village waters are used to this and occasionally fed on whipped cream and cookies? Haha.. Before it gets lost, I want to save Christine.j's comment about fish, wind and cream here:
    quote Christine:
    ###I can imagine this:"Are you coming for some some coffee and cream this afternoon, Mrs Cod? It looks like it's going to be windy."###

© Ingrid D., October 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Bridges may break, this could mean detour!

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

With all the countless big and small lakes, with all the small and big islands around the coasts, Sweden can easily compete with Venezia when it comes to bridges connecting land. This is surely fun but it also bears some risks. Not life threatening ones of course but trip planning ones. Bridges might break…. I would never have thought about this, although it is very much logic, but… have learned the lesson when we were on our way back from Sigtuna and Enköping. The road south leads across several bridges between the mainland and the small islands in Lake Mälaren and.. suddenly we had to stop because everyone else stopped. We were sitting in the car for a while, no one really knew what was going on. Suddenly word spread that the bridge in front of us had a problem. No, it wasn’t broken but the draw bridge mechanism failed to draw the bridge back into position (after ships had passed) to let us all cross. Well, we debated back and forth but the signs weren’t that good that it might be repaired within the next hour. So we turned around and took a big detour back to our final destination. Later we heard that it was still not working. If I remember, it took approx. 3 hours until all was back to normal. Luckily we had no appointment and also an alternative road, albeit it being a detour. But if the only bridge to or from an island breaks, there is nothing you could do.
    Plan this in, or at least be aware that bridges might not work as they should. Have a mobile phone with you to inform others in case you have an appointment, be it even with a hotel or campground or B&B. But then this is Sweden and people are used to this, so you will not run into trouble. Only be patient or be prepared to look at your map for a detour. Haha, that said – I don’t have the slightest idea how a GPS device/navigation system will react…. It might take a while until the news of broken bridges arrive wherever the navi gets its information from. Then it is definitely better to have a good old map and a brain and be independent from the electronical “terror”, lol. (Haha, would anyone guess now that I never did, don't and will never own one of these funny devices?).

Careful, speed tickets!

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Sweden’s main roads are wide and excellent. Maximum speed is 110 km/hr on motorways, 70 – 90km/hr on main roads and inside cities and villages 50 km/hr. Signs with the maximum speed are mounted everywhere, so it is easy to follow. But Swedish traffic is not enormous, rather thin. This means that the wide and almost empty roads could animate some speed obsessed drivers to transform into Formula1 drivers. Not good! They will be caught by the many speed control cameras and fined heavily. But it would not be Sweden if there would not be a sign every couple of hundreds of metres to remind that a camera is there to control.
    Although I fell into the habit of driving a bit quicker than allowed (not speeding though), I slowed down most of the time when I saw the sign. So I cannot say what would happen if the camera would have made “click” – but is it really worth to try? Definitely not.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Sami people dont want to be called Lapp!!!!!

by Dizzyhead Updated Sep 2, 2012

Well, our native people in the north, the Sami, dont call them "lapp"!!!! I dont think they like that expression..... Think about what you say to them. They prefer to be called same, which is the real name.

Who want to be called that????

RESPECT THEM!

Mile club...

by Dizzyhead Updated Apr 4, 2011

Stay away from the Swedish stewardesses om your way to Sweden. You never know what they can do with you... Dont get in troubles, so listen to my advise:

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR YOU WILL BECOME A MEMBER OF THE HIGH MILE CLUB!

• Maline's Profile Photo

Do not forget that wildlife is...

by Maline Updated Apr 4, 2011

Do not forget that wildlife is abundant in Sweden, especially in the northern parts, and traffic incidents involving animals are common.

Something like 60 000 accidents involving animals occur every year in Sweden. Extra careful driving at dusk and dawn is recommended! Also, as a guideline, if you collide with a moose a speed of 60 kilometres per hour is considered to be the top speed where you have a good chance of surviving such an accident. Higher speeds might be lethal.

Usually there are fences to keep the wild animals off the main roads, but there are parts that are not covered by theses fences. Whenever the fencing stops the wildlife warning sign with a moose (or sometimes another animal) in silhouette is put up. Coming to such a part of a road at dawn or dusk - lower your speed and be extra watchful keeping your eyes partly on the sides of the road ...

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Do not say negerboll in the café!!!!

by Dizzyhead Updated Oct 22, 2010

We have a cookie which is called negerboll in Sweden and it is very delicious, if you have a cup of cooffee with it. Negerboll means in English Niggerball. Maybe it is not the best thing to say... It is up to yourself to decide if you want to use that name for the cookie. In many cafés they use other names for it, but personally I grew up with this name.

I am NOT a racist at all, but I cant change the name. For me, it will always be negerboll for that kind of cookie. But if I say that in the café they say that they dont have it any more. I guess I have get used to it, and call it chocolate ball instead or something else.

Expensive country!!!!!

by Dizzyhead Updated Oct 21, 2010

Here you can waste a lot of money if you want. I think we here in the north are one of the most expenive countries. We pay also so much, too much, in tax too. So, we need all tourists here, so welcome and spend your cash here all year around. Help us to get our life to become better. Spend all your dollars, rubels, yen, euros or what currency you have.

THANK YOU AMIGOS!

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

Don´t fish here.

by Dizzyhead Updated Aug 23, 2010

Well, respect our signs where it says "fiske förbjuden". There are so many places where you can fish for free in my beautiful country and we want that law to be followed. Thanks. It is not to be bad to you as a fisher, but the sign would NOT be there if it was NOT allowed to fish!! There can always be a cause why you arent allowed to fish there.

SO, DONT FISH HERE!

• Fishing

Well...

by Dizzyhead Updated Aug 23, 2010

If you read this which is written on the carpet. Dont bother them, they dont want you there. Turn around and walk away, and never come back to this place. They mean, they never want to see you again or any time in the future. Sad, but at least honest!

SO, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

Swedish massage...

by Dizzyhead Updated Aug 23, 2010

I have no idea what that is... LOL If you know what Swedish massage is, please write a mail to me and explain it. I have no idea what it is and I have seen signs about this kind of massage in the USA. No one of my American friends did not know what it is.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS?

• Seniors

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Watch out for this animal in the forest!!!

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2010

This huge animal is nothing to play with when you are in the forest or if you meet it in another place. It is too big to fight with.

Recommendations.... Stay away and watch it from distance.

I dont have any at all. I hope you dont meet it. A dead one is very delicious one I must say. They taste really good. The meat is very delicious.

• National/State Park
    • Photography

Take up after your dog.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2010

Well, if you walk the dog and not take up the dog´s ***. people will look bad at you. So, if you do it there are two good and positive things. First of all nobody will get angry with you and the second one, it will not be dirty. If you walk the dog in the forest you can leave it of course...

Because nobody want to step in dog poop and please, clean after your dog!

Swedish girls!!!!!

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2010

They are erotic and beautiful the Swedish ladies.... Watch out. Who doesnt want to meet them at the same time. Just a fool would say NO... I promise I would like that, and you too!!! MMMM.

Swedish girls are famous to be very beautiful. They are tall, slender, blond, blue eyes and openminded. They arent shy for anything! Just say hello to them when you meet them and have a chance. What can you loose, the only thing you can loose is a good time...

Dont have barbeque here.

by Dizzyhead Updated Mar 28, 2010

Dont make a fire here or dont have any barbeque. Use the special places where you can have barbeques. Or buy some food from a restaurant. So, use the special places to have your little barbeque and nobody will bother you or give you ANY problems!

Sweden Hotels

78 Reviews - 134 Photos
Luleå Hotels
49 Reviews - 136 Photos

Instant Answers: Sweden

Comments

Sweden Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sweden warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sweden sightseeing.
Map of Sweden