Safety Tips in Sweden

Gotland flag
    International Mail

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Sweden

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Low flying whipped cream and cookies

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Haha, this is also more of a fun warning tip than describing a real danger, provided you are on safe ground. But I don’t write for sailors, because they should know what to do anyhow.
    Sweden’s west coast is beautiful, magic! But, being exposed to the sea the weather can change quite quickly. Even if it is sunny, the sea can become rough and the wind is then very fierce. I love this heavy wind and cannot get enough of it. But…. I made a mental note that will forever stick in my brain (I hope). If it is windy, don’t have your coffee and cake on the deck! Things can get lost during the time the waiter needs to bring them to your table. This is what happened to us when we were in Möllosund during a beautiful sunny and very windy day. Even if we have picked out a place on the deck where it was a bit less windy, the poor waiter had to cross the deck and was exposed to all the wind. We have ordered coffee, tea and cakes with whipped cream. Coffee and tea should have come with a cookie. But…. only half of the whipped cream and cookies arrived with cake, tea and coffee. The others were gone with the wind, lol. We almost rolled on the floor laughing and shared the remaining whipped cream and coffee of course. And we were happy that our cakes were heavy enough to stay on the plate.

But be aware that this easily happens in windy weather. Maybe the fish in Möllosund’s and the other coast village waters are used to this and occasionally fed on whipped cream and cookies? Haha.. Before it gets lost, I want to save Christine.j's comment about fish, wind and cream here:
    quote Christine:
    ###I can imagine this:"Are you coming for some some coffee and cream this afternoon, Mrs Cod? It looks like it's going to be windy."###

© Ingrid D., October 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

This.. whipped cream stayed with us :-) Beautiful Swedish west coast :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Bridges may break, this could mean detour!

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

With all the countless big and small lakes, with all the small and big islands around the coasts, Sweden can easily compete with Venezia when it comes to bridges connecting land. This is surely fun but it also bears some risks. Not life threatening ones of course but trip planning ones. Bridges might break…. I would never have thought about this, although it is very much logic, but… have learned the lesson when we were on our way back from Sigtuna and Enköping. The road south leads across several bridges between the mainland and the small islands in Lake Mälaren and.. suddenly we had to stop because everyone else stopped. We were sitting in the car for a while, no one really knew what was going on. Suddenly word spread that the bridge in front of us had a problem. No, it wasn’t broken but the draw bridge mechanism failed to draw the bridge back into position (after ships had passed) to let us all cross. Well, we debated back and forth but the signs weren’t that good that it might be repaired within the next hour. So we turned around and took a big detour back to our final destination. Later we heard that it was still not working. If I remember, it took approx. 3 hours until all was back to normal. Luckily we had no appointment and also an alternative road, albeit it being a detour. But if the only bridge to or from an island breaks, there is nothing you could do.
    Plan this in, or at least be aware that bridges might not work as they should. Have a mobile phone with you to inform others in case you have an appointment, be it even with a hotel or campground or B&B. But then this is Sweden and people are used to this, so you will not run into trouble. Only be patient or be prepared to look at your map for a detour. Haha, that said – I don’t have the slightest idea how a GPS device/navigation system will react…. It might take a while until the news of broken bridges arrive wherever the navi gets its information from. Then it is definitely better to have a good old map and a brain and be independent from the electronical “terror”, lol. (Haha, would anyone guess now that I never did, don't and will never own one of these funny devices?).

That's the traffic jam - it goes for miles :-)

Careful, speed tickets!

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Sweden’s main roads are wide and excellent. Maximum speed is 110 km/hr on motorways, 70 – 90km/hr on main roads and inside cities and villages 50 km/hr. Signs with the maximum speed are mounted everywhere, so it is easy to follow. But Swedish traffic is not enormous, rather thin. This means that the wide and almost empty roads could animate some speed obsessed drivers to transform into Formula1 drivers. Not good! They will be caught by the many speed control cameras and fined heavily. But it would not be Sweden if there would not be a sign every couple of hundreds of metres to remind that a camera is there to control.
    Although I fell into the habit of driving a bit quicker than allowed (not speeding though), I slowed down most of the time when I saw the sign. So I cannot say what would happen if the camera would have made “click” – but is it really worth to try? Definitely not.

Singn: careful, speed control camera soon Here it is - the speed control camera

• Maline's Profile Photo

Do not forget that wildlife is...

by Maline Updated Apr 4, 2011

Do not forget that wildlife is abundant in Sweden, especially in the northern parts, and traffic incidents involving animals are common.

Something like 60 000 accidents involving animals occur every year in Sweden. Extra careful driving at dusk and dawn is recommended! Also, as a guideline, if you collide with a moose a speed of 60 kilometres per hour is considered to be the top speed where you have a good chance of surviving such an accident. Higher speeds might be lethal.

Usually there are fences to keep the wild animals off the main roads, but there are parts that are not covered by theses fences. Whenever the fencing stops the wildlife warning sign with a moose (or sometimes another animal) in silhouette is put up. Coming to such a part of a road at dawn or dusk - lower your speed and be extra watchful keeping your eyes partly on the sides of the road ...

Moose on the loose

• crazypaws's Profile Photo

Beware of pick pockets!

by crazypaws Written Apr 26, 2009

During the day, the area around Sergels Torg is mostly empty, but towards the evening it can get very crowded. At one point I got "stuck in traffic" while I was walking there, it was very hard to get through the crowds. The ideal spot for pick pockets!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Bring a sheet with you!

by angiebabe Written Aug 10, 2008

In some countries around Europe it pays to carry a towel in yr luggage for the fee you can charge for using one when staying at a youth hostel - occassionally Ive been given one to use for free or the fee has been minimal but at times its the price of a new towel. I have generally decided not to carry a towel around in my luggage (have the super light wonder towel - but it sticks to you with a strange sensation) for the risk of towel expense.

But here in Sweden if youre planning at all to be travelling at a budget and have any intentions of staying at Youth hostels then this is for you! I strongly recommend the sacrifice of the weight of sheet (a large one to make a top and bottom) to save on the price that is charged each time you want to stay in a hostel which is not far off the price of a new sheet!

In Stockholm the fee was 70 kroner ie £7 - in Gimo the guy gave me a 'discount' which wasnt really but his price had dropped to 25 kroner ie £2.50. Here in Eskilstuna the price for sheets is 100 kroner = £10!! (just as well Ive wrangled the 'I'll have a dorm room bed then' when I know its quiet and Ive ended up with a room on my own, tv to watch the Olympics and own ensuite - but add the sheet brought it up to £25 and thats still without breakfast!

You dont get charged for any additional nights you stay in the one place with those same sheets of course - and no running away with them!

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo

Airport Bus

by Andrew_W_K Written Jun 25, 2008

If you are flying to one of the outlying airports that serve Stockholm be extra careful when making your return journey. We arrived an hour early at the Stockholm bus terminal and went to the desk of the airport bus firm to be told to wait at gate 21. At gate 21 there were huge stickers on the floor pointing at the door saying Vasteras (the airport we were travelling to). However they decided to switch the gate without telling anyone (they claimed they made an announcement at the time but later admitted they could find no evidence that they did). Needless to say we went outside just in time to see the bus pull away without us. As the airport is 110km away we had no choice but to pay £127 for a taxi. The bus company later admitted responsibilty and gave us a refund but I don't know many bus companies that would.
    For some reason I had a bad feeling when we were waiting and I should have put my mind at ease and gone back to the desk to check. This is my tip. If the airport is 30km or less it doesn't really matter but when they are so far away you must check twice to ensure this doesn't happen because as you can see - it does! Also, don't lose your cool, stay calm and make an official complaint if you have time, write when you get home if don't. If you lose your cool people won't want to put things right for you after the event.

Say no more!!

• sim1's Profile Photo

Warning..... don't try these!

by sim1 Updated Nov 10, 2007

Sweden has some strange eating habits, I think ;-) In my restaurant tips you could see some good things Sweden has to offer, but these dishes mentioned below do deserve a real warning!!! Some people do eat it though and surprisingly even love it!!! So strange ;-)) Hahaha but maybe it is me that is the strange one ;-))

Blodpudding - blood pudding /black pudding. This is a dish known in many cultures, so you might have your own local variety to the dish.

Smörgåstårta This is a much more traditional Swedish dish, although it is also popular in Finland. Smörgåstårta or "sandwich cake" is a huge sandwich, which looks a bit like a cake, rather then like a sandwich. It is build up out of several layers of buttered bread with several different fillings and lots of toppings. But most of all it contains a LOT of mayonnaise. The toppings can be rather good, they mostly include egg, but also liver pâté, olives, prawns, ham, caviar and delicious smoked salmon. Too bad it is all glued together with this mass amount of mayonnaise.

Surströmming This is a dish that not even all Swedes have 'dared' to eat. It is a specific northern Swedish 'delicacy'. Surströmming is herring and salt put in a can and left to ferment in 3-4 month, so in short, this is rotten fish. I can say I tried it, and even survived it! And the truth to be told it wasn't as bad as I had feared. The smell is worst of all, you can smell an open can of surströmming from miles away. The taste is to say 'different' and needs a lot of getting used to. I am proud to say I dared to eat it once, I am not convinced though that I will try it again.

Räk afton - a typical tourist trap to invite you to eat as much shrimp as you like, sounds like fun but do you really want to tour the archipelago only to look at a big bowl of shrimps? The truth is that you can only eat so much of these shrimps, although they do taste good (in limited quantities). If you're on a ship/boat in the archipelago enjoy the view instead.

An opened can of surstr��mming

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Speeding is a No-No

by marielexoteria Updated Sep 15, 2007

You're driving on a nice highway and see a lot of other fellow drivers driving at high speeds, think that the police isn't close and think "if they can, so can I". Wrong! If you're caught speeding you can lose up to 4000SEK. The fines are:

On 30 and 50 roads:
    - 1-10 km over the speed limit: 2.000 kr
    - 11-15 km over the speed limit: 2.400 kr
    - 16-20 km over the speed limit: 2.800 kr
    - 21-25 km over the speed limit: 3.200 kr
    - 26-30 km over the speed limit: 3.600 kr
    - 31-40 km over the speed limit: 4.000 kr.

On 70, 90, 110 and 120 roads:
    - 1-10 km over the speed limit: 1.500 kr
    - 11-15 km over the speed limit: 2.000 kr
    - 16-20 km over the speed limit:2.400 kr
    - 21-25 km over the speed limit: 2.800 kr
    - 26-30 km over the speed limit: 3.200 kr
    - 31-35 km over the speed limit: 3.600 kr
    - 36-40 km over the speed limit: 4.000 kr
    - 41-50 km over the speed limit: 4.000 kr.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Taxis

by marielexoteria Updated Sep 15, 2007

Avoid being ripped off (or worse) by "black market" cabs and instead call one from the big companies. All serious taxis have the company name and phone number "printed" on the vehicle doors and trunk.

If you take a cab from the airport, they usually have the fares visible on or close to the back doors.

• Women Travelling in Sweden

by djferros Written Jul 24, 2006

Women should be careful like any country when travelling alone. Some people are saying there is a rape epidemic in Sweden and Norway and that the authorities look the other way.

check on the internet for further information, some of the news is sick so i won't mention it. Apparently, the goverment desn't want to make a big deal out of it as a huge number are carried out by muslim immigrants and the goverment doesn't want to cause unrest.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Run For Your Life!

by freddie18 Updated Jun 28, 2006

I did a walking tour of Malmo Sweden with my wife and daughter, a whole day trip that is. What a big surprise. We are crossing a not too big street which is just few yards from a museum. It was red light so we have to wait. Here comes the "Go" signal for the pedestrian. We started crossing even though we saw a car coming. To our surprise, the car did not stop.
    The driver almost hit me because I was walking fast behind my family. Warning: Be careful when you are walking and crossing the street in Malmo. The driver does not follow the traffic signal.

When crossing....Run, don't walk!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Museum Visits

• KaisaL's Profile Photo

Moose on the loose

by KaisaL Written Jun 27, 2006

In Sweden the moose are as dangerous and abundant as deer in the USA. Be careful especially in the early evening/dawn times of the day. They can be seen in clumps during the late evening hours on the highway

• Seniors

• polardabar's Profile Photo

Being safe in Sweden

by polardabar Updated Nov 19, 2005

Everyone who lives in Sweden or has been there would surely say that it's a pretty safe country. I'd say you don't have to worry about that - at least when you're here. Take care when you're around central stations though, although I think no Swede is up to something like robbing you. ;)

Naturally, there are places where you're not supposed to hang out in the middle of the nights, so be smart, don't put yourself in a bad situation & have fun!

• polardabar's Profile Photo

Pricing

by polardabar Updated Nov 19, 2005

The prices in Sweden are unbelievably high, so be sure you take care! If you're ordering something in a bar, the price of a glass of beer can get up to more than 5 EUR! I mean, there surely are more expensive places in the World, but you might end up spending a lot more than you planned to... ;) If your budget is limited, just try to find cheaper places that have a beer for less than 40 SEK & a lunch for less than 100 SEK. Good luck & spend wisely! ;)

Sweden Hotels

63 Reviews - 192 Photos
Lund Hotels
96 Reviews - 186 Photos

Instant Answers: Sweden

Comments

Sweden Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sweden warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sweden sightseeing.
Map of Sweden