Gruyères Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Gruyères

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

No particular place -- too long ago: Try a Carnotzet

by Beausoleil Updated Jun 4, 2013

We ate at a sidewalk cafe just past this fountain in medieval Gruyeres. You can just see the awning on the far left side of the fountain photo. It was a very cool rainy day in July and we were cold and hungry. We sat outside for the view and had a lovely fondue. Unfortunately we had too much fondue and couldn't finish our raclette at our hotel in the evening. You can eat only so much in a day!

The little cafe served fondue and raclette and several other things.

The other photo is the door of a carnotzet in Gruyeres. We didn't go in since we had already eaten, but a carnotzet is a great casual place to get a wine and cheese meal. There was one at our hotel and they had live music several times while we were there. The atmosphere is very friendly.

Favorite Dish: Fondue fondue fondue . . . 8^)

Here is a web site listing restaurants in Gruyere. Restaurants in Gruyere

Gruyeres fountain with restaurant on far left side Door to a carnotzet in Gruyeres
    • Castles and Palaces

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Museum HR Giger Bar: HR Giger Bar

by mindcrime Written Apr 26, 2013

This a bizzare bar that most people get inside not because they are desperate for a beer but because of the decoration. H.R.Giger (the museum dedicated to his works is just opposite the Bar) designed the interior here, you will see lots weird ceiling curves, strange chairs and tables, the general idea is the typical Giger biomechanical style. The bar opened in 2003, and OK, it is funny enough but inside the museum you will enjoy the real deal.

It’s open Tuesday to Sunday 12.00-20.30 (weekends from 10.00). during summer it is open daily.

Museum HR Giger Bar Museum HR Giger Bar Museum HR Giger Bar

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Hotel de Ville: Hotel de Ville

by mindcrime Written Apr 26, 2013

We decided to have lunch at one of the restaurants that are located on main square. Once inside we noticed all the tables were occupied (about 45 seats) but there also 24 seats on the first floor which has no character but we had a table next to the window and didn’t care that much. The interior is very bright in general with lot of wood. A few tables outside on the patio may be nice on warmer months but it was no choice in mid march.

On the menu there are several different plates (suggestions of the shef), beef plates(29-46Sfr), smoked country ham(27Sfr), fish plates(23Sfr), soups (7,5-8,50Sfr), 10 different salads (7-19Sfr), pasta dishes (19-21Sfr) etc

Of course as expected most people come here to taste the popular dishes with cheese, the main stars are Raclette (28Sfr) and Fondue (25Sfr). You could smell the cheese all over the place, no surprise as there were hundreds of pots with boiling cheese on both floors.

We decided to try the famous Fondue, we ordered a pot of cheese fondue for 2 persons(50Sfr), a mixed salad (9Sfr) and a portion of potatoes(4,5Sfr). We also ordered a bottle of white Chardonnay wine (23Sfr), it was good enough and warmed us for as long as we were expecting the fondue.
    It’s probably the most popular swiss dish, a melted cheese flavored with white wine and some other ingredients served in a pot called Caquelon (many stores all over Switzerland sell it) over a portable stove! What you have to do is dipping a long-stemmed fork with bread into the cheese. Those of you who have read “Asterix in Switzerland” will remember (among many stereotypical references about Swiss people) the swiss guy that looses numerous times his bread in the pot of cheese fondue. The swiss tradition says that if a man loses his bread in the pot, he buys drinks all around, and if a woman does, she must kiss her neighbors.

Instead of pieces of bread you can try piece of potato (we also tried that) and some people use side servings of raw garlic, onions and olives. Although I liked it I have to admit that I felt full quickly and I could hardly breath at the end, I should expect indigestion anyway, let aside how heavy for your diet this dish is :) The funny thing is that it was “all you can eat” type, the people next to use had a second round, we just smiled at them, we had no room left not even for a humble dessert.

Service was good, kind of slow, the waitress was very friendly but her English was limited, not a big deal as it was easy to say fondue :)
    The bill was 86,50Sfr.

fondue pot Hotel de Ville Chardonnay wine

• La Maison des Traditions, Gruyère, Switzerland: Awfull cheese fondue and no compensation

by Manzetti Updated Aug 1, 2011

We sat on the terrasse of La Maison Des Traditions in Gruyère on the first of August 2011, the national swiss holiday. It should have been a nice experience since the sun was shinning, music was playing and people were waiting for the festivity. But it has been one of the worst cheese fondue experience we ever had. The cheese was compact and gummy and even after our complaints the waitress brought back the same fondue. The cook tried to save the fondue without success. From the beginning the fondue was not good and it is shocking to eat such an awfull fondue in the cheese fondue home country (Gruyère) and to know that you can eat a wonderful fondue in a place where you would not expect to eat a good one : in Geneva, at Château D' If. I have never been disapointed by Château d'If even showing up at 11pm !
    Conclusion, on your next trip to Gruyère avoid a restaurant called LA MAISON DES TRADITIONS !!!!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Chalet de Gruyeres: hmm, local cheese

by globetrott Updated Apr 4, 2011

Of course I had to taste some local cheese and while walking through the village and towards the castle I decided that this restaurant would be the best place for me to have lunch and it was a good decision ! The building looks great from outside with a wooden facade and a few tables of the garden-restaurant were facing the townsquare and there acre cosy rooms on 2 levels with great decorations like shown in my extra-photos ! My 4th pic : this is the placemat that you will get and will be able to take home.

Favorite Dish: I had a cheese-plate with 6 different sorts of cheese and payed 19 sfr (=12 euros) for it, including the bread and butter that came with it.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

La Maison Des Traditions...: GREAT Fondue...Pass on the Double Cream...

by Greggor58 Written Aug 2, 2010

Just to try a different restaurant for a change during my third visit here to Gruyeres we crossed the road from where we would normally eat to try out this restaurant and the outdoor seating.

The tables were kind of squeezed together and the chairs on our side of the table were precariously located on the edge of the curb.Needless to say I was really careful about how I moved myself around.

The service wasn't that great...it was busy in the village on this warm night in July and the restaurant was filled but it didn't seem as if there was enough staff around to manage customers needs properly.

We had the traditional Moitié-moitié, a version of fondue...a mixture of half Gruyère cheese and half Fribourg vacherin cheese.

The fondue was in fact quite good,we chose to have it served with small potatoes AND fresh bread,often I would normally just use breads.Using the potato was different and actually quite good,fresh new potatoes were a nice change from our norm!

We all ordered for desert a double cream and meringue and this restaurant served us a double cream that was NOT very thick,we got the sense that perhaps they had watered it down with milk or maybe table cream maybe..but we didn't make an issue of it.

We paid our bill and left...but I'll tell you...I wont ever return to this restaurant as it didn't come close to the standard established across the road...see my other restaurant tip here.

Im not sure if they were having an "off" night but in any event when I return again to Gruyeres Ill return to my favorite little spot across the main street.

Favorite Dish: Something that is unique about this restaurant is that they have working displays about cheese manufacture and the equipment is inside of the restaurant.

Anytime from about 1200 Noon until about 1600 you can see a part of the process how cheese is actually made here. There is not a charge involved to watch this..but I suppose its a good idea to sit and at least have a drink or a coffee while or after you watch..

La Maison Des Traditions,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg. Cheesy Smile,La Maison Des Traditions,Gruyeres. La Maison Des Traditions,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg.
    • Photography

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

H.R. Giger Bar...: Aliens Surround YOU...

by Greggor58 Written Jul 1, 2009

YOU need to sit here and have a drink just to see the place...its really quite bizarre....everything from the flooring to the ceilings and tables and chairs are designed by Giger and is for the most part the whole place is a complete work of art...designed in a surreal sort of fantastic way....Take a look at some of the attached photos and you'll see what I mean...

Favorite Dish: We didn't eat here but sat and had a few drinks soaking up the atmosphere...

The Bar is open daily April to October from 1000 AM until 2030 PM April until October....from November until March its open ONLY TUESDAY until Sunday with the same hours....and is CLOSED on MONDAYS...

H.R.Giger Bar,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg,Switzerland H.R.Giger Bar,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg,Switzerland H.R.Giger Bar,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg,Switzerland H.R.Giger Bar,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg,Switzerland H.R.Giger Bar,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg,Switzerland
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Hotel de Ville...Gruyeres,Switzerland...: Fondue HEAVEN!!!

by Greggor58 Updated May 14, 2009

OK....its pretty evident why we were eating in this place...it had the best fondue in the town...at least that's what Andy says....so...who am I to dispute this claim...

I made a return trip here in 2009 and again we eat here...and it was the same quality....absolutely delicious..

The place is super clean and BRIGHT with a wood designed interior...about space for maybe fifty people...The service was great....there were only three other tables being served when we were there...on my return trip here in 2009 we visited on a Sunday...and the whole village was much busier than my first trip here....and so was the restaurant...we sat on the patio in the sunshine and pretty much enjoyed the same meal...and desert as we had enjoyed here in 2008.

Price wise...Its certainly not a cheap meal...for the two of us it worked out to about 60 dollars Canadian...but it was worth every penny of it...

The fondue was " all you can eat"...and we managed two rounds between the two of us...so it might be a little pricey...but its certainly good value..

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed a great meal and wrapped up with a desert ....like we needed to eat more...and another million calories I'm sure!

The meringue and cream is OUT of this World...the cream so rich and thick you could stick the meringue into the bowl and it wouldn't fall over...

If you go here.....and if you don't have a cholesterol issue....try this desert...you'll be glad that you did!

Hotel de Ville,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg, CH. Hotel de Ville,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg, CH. Hotel de Ville,Gruyeres,Canton Fribourg, CH.
    • Hiking and Walking

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Hotel de Ville: You must eat cheese in Gruyeres!

by Dabs Updated Aug 26, 2007

Where better to try Gruyere cheese than Gruyeres? There are probably a dozen or more places serving fondue and raclette along the street leading up to the Chateau, most of which also have outdoor terraces for dining. We picked the Hotel de Ville because it did not require that 2 people eat raclette as we wanted to sample both raclette and fondue. It was slightly more expensive, maybe 2 or 3 CHF per person, but also offered unlimited fondue and raclette. When our waiter asked us if we wanted more, we said just a little bit of fondue and he brought us a whole pot full!

Our waiter was very friendly and while his English wasn't good, it was better than our French and somehow we managed just fine. The total was 69F including one drink each.

Favorite Dish: We ordered raclette (26CHF) and fondue (23CHF) and shared them. Raclette is cheese that is placed under heat, every so often you scrape the melted cheese and pour over potatoes, pickles and onions, delicious!

Fondue is melted cheese flavored with white wine and kirsch brought in cute little red pots to your table and kept warm with a flame fueled by sterno. Dip chunks of bread into the pot with a special fondue fork and you have one of my favorite meals. I believe I ordered moitie-moitie, half Gruyere and half Vacherin. This was the best fondue I had on this trip!

Unbelievably, after all that cheese David still wanted to order dessert, someone next to us had ordered one with two meringue pieces, another specialty of the region, sandwiched around vanilla and strawberry ice cream and topped with a little tub of double cream (11CHF). Hmm, I guess I did help him eat it...

Fondue and raclette Meringue, ice cream and double cream

Instant Answers: Gruyères

Comments

Gruyères Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gruyères restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gruyères sightseeing.