Old Arsenal, Geneva
l'Ancien Arsenal (Old Arsenal) is a popular spot for tourists, it’s a medieval arcade that was built in 1625 as a granary but transformed into arsenal in early 18th century until 1877. In our days it houses the State Archives (les Archives d'Etat), it is closed for the public but the visitors come here to see the five old cannons in the arched courtyard (there’s no entrance fee).
The sign on the wall reads:
Two of these cannons were among the artillery material of Geneva requisitioned by the Austrians in February 1814 and moved to Vienna. Following a personal initiative of the lieutenant of Geneva Joseph Pinon(1775-1839) these canons and other guns were restored to the Republic at the beginning of 1815.
On the inner wall behind the cannon there are some murals (by Alexandre Cingria from 1949) that show historical moments of Geneva. What’s more on the top of the exterior walls you can see some more frescoes (late 19th century) showing old history moments, from Julius Caesar to medieval era etc
Old Arsenal (French: Ancien Arsenal) is popular tourist attraction in Old town and famous historical presentation on open air. Under city’s ramparts it preserve till today. It contain five grand old cannons and mosaic frescoes by Alexandre Cingria (1949) depicting important periods in Geneva’s history. All it was remember of former military past today military neutral country.
The building above itself is dating from the beginning of the 17th century. Back then it was originally be granary. Then was transformed into an arms depot and remain as until 1877. Today it is used for the head-office of the State Archives. It is interesting also by murals on the inner wall by Gustave de Beaumont in which we can summarizing the history of Geneva. Above, the building is decorated with mosaic frescoes depicting Julius Caesar's arrival in 58 BC, the fairs of the Middle Ages, and the welcoming of Huguenot refugees during the Reformation.
The current looks is from 1636. Detail about reach history of Geneva kip in the State Archives date back to 1387. Scholars and officials use this institution and it is closed to the public.
Located across from the Hôtel de Ville, this mediaeval arcaded was built in 1628 as a granary. In the 18th century, it became an arsenal (hence the name), a function which lasted until 1877. For a while thereafter it became a museum, but nowadays houses les Archives d'Etat (state archives). The frescoes on the top of the building's façade date from the late 19th century (albeit restored in the late 20th) and depict scenes from the history of the city.
The one place that I did find interesting in the old town was the Arsenal, situated near the Town Hall (Hotel de Ville). It dates from 1634 and in it's courtyard are a collection of cannons and some interesting mosaics on the walls.
Anywhere in neutral Switzerland is not the first place you think of to find an armoury - the cannons here are relics.
Originally a granary, the early 17th century building is HQ to the State Archives, the Ancien Arsenal's five cannons guard Old Town, vestiges of the battery that earlier guarding the city’s ramparts, long after the armoury was decommissioned in 1877.
The archway housing the cannons contains Alexandre Cingria's three striking mosaic frescoes date to 1949 and depicting major events from Genevan history.
The Old Arsenal is within the Old town and is now the head office of the State Archives. The building dates from the 17th century was originally a granary then it was made into an arms depot - this is what it remained until 1877.
Currently the curious tourist can see 5 cannons that formerly protected the city ramparts, and 3 mosaic frescoes by Alexandre Cingria (1949) which depict key periods of Geneva's history.
Today head-office of the State Archives, the Old Arsenal dominates the Old Town and appears to protect it by means of its five cannons, vestiges of the battery that formerly protected the city?s ramparts.
In addition to the cannons, the archway contains three remarkable mosaic frescoes by Alexandre Cingria (1949) depicting key periods in Geneva?s history.
Head office of the national achieves the arsenal dominates the Old town mi us to protect it by means of its five cannons,, vestiges of the battery that formally protected the city's ramparts. The ' Rating from the beginning of the
17th centaury ,
Located next to the Geneva's Town Hall,there is a small place called "Ancient Arsenal",as you can see on my picture here you can see some very well conserved old cannons and other interesting things.Anyway is anothe nice place to take a nice photo!.
Old Arsenal dominates the Old Town and appears to protect it by means of its five cannons, vestiges of the battery that formerly protected the city's ramparts. The building, dating from the beginning of the 17th century, was originally a granary before being transformed into an arms depot, which remained as such until 1877.