Le Mur des Reformateurs (Reformation Wall) it is located inside the Park des Bastions.
It was began in 1,909 and finished in 1,917.This massive and impressive sculpture is 5 metre tall and 100 metres wide.It was began on the 400th anniversary of Calvin's birth.
This wall is dedicated to the whole Reformation Movement and its four main figures:Jean Calvin,Théodore de Béze,John Knox,and Guillaume Farel,these nice and huge sculptures realate 150 years of the history of Protestanism in Switzerland,specially on Geneva area.
This is one of Geneva's most famous landmarks, set in the Parc des Bastions. It features the main founders of the Protestant faith. The monument was designed by a Lausanne architect at the turn of the century.It was inaugurated in 1909 for the 400th anniversary of the birth of John Calvin. It represents John Calvin, William Farel, Theodore Debeze and John Knox. At their feet are smaller figures with various other protestant leaders from other European countries, including Oliver Cromwell.
One of the main sights I remember is the Reformation Wall in the Parc des Bastions. John Calvin always refused to be honoured - hence no monumnet devoted exclusively to his glory. So in 1909 - 400 anniversay of his birth - it was the right time to errect this monumnet, not to one man but to the whole of the Reformation movement:
Guillaume Farel (1489-1565), one of the first to preach the Reformation in Geneva
Jean Calvin (1509-1564) the"pope" of the reformers
Théodore de Bèze (1513-1605), first rector of the Academy and
John Knox (1513-1572), founder of Presbyterianism in Scotland.
The Reformation Wall, in the Parc des Bastions, pays homage to the people influential in the Calvinist reformation arising in Geneve. Among those remembered are John Knox, Jean Calvin, Theodore de Beze, and Guillaume Farel.
The park also has several other statues and historical figures, as well as plenty of people playing and enjoying a the quiet park in the busy city.
The monument was erected in 1909 to mark the 400th anniversaryof the birth of Jean Calvin and the 350th anniversary of the fouding of Geneva's Academy, a Protestant School.
The monument is in the form of a wall some 100m (330ft) long, and on which are standing statues of the four leaders of the Reformation in Geneva. The statues are 5m (16ft) tall and are of:
Theodore de Beze, the first Rector of the Academy; and
John Knox, the Scottish Reformation Leader.
The monument has images showing the history of the reformation; and in front of the wall on the ground, the arms of Geneva are shown between the Bear of Berne and the Lion of Scotland. This symbolises the links between these two Swiss cities and Scotland.
located at either end of the wall are memorials to Martin Luther and Ulrich Zwingli - these are plain stone blocks with their names inscribed.
It's located in the Parc des Bastions, close to the Place Neuve. It represents Guillaume Farel, Jean Calvin, Théodore de Bèze et John Knox and it was inaugurated in 1909 for the 400th anniversary of the birth of Jean Calvin. Take time to walk as well in the Parc
At the center of the wall, five meters high, are the four great figures of the movement: Guillaume Farel (1849-1565), one of the first to preach the Reformation in Geneva, Jean Calvin (1509-1564) the "pope" of the reformers, Théodore de Bèze (1513-1605), first rector of the Academy and John Knox (1513-1572), founder of Presbyterianism in Scotland. Behind these statues stands the motto of the Reformation and of Geneva: "Post Tenebras Lux".