Chateau St. Maire, Lausanne
Saint Marie Castle is the seat of the cantonal government of Vaud since 1803, before that was used as the residence of bishops of Lausanne (until 1536) and then as an armory from the Bernese that captured Lausanne.
It’s single massive rectangular block that was built between 1397 and 1425 to house the bishop of Lausanne. It was named after Saint Marius of Avenches (532-596) first bishop of Lausanne that died there and venerated as a saint.
We just took some pictures of it as it is not open to the public but we wouldn’t visit anyway as we were desperate for a beer :)
There used to be a tower next to the castle but was demolished in 1890 when the statue of Abraham Davel was erected in front of the castle (pic 2). Davel (1670-1723) was a swiss leader and folk hero of the canton of Vaud that fought against the rule of Bern taking part at the separatist movement. Claiming the declaration of Vaudois independence led him to prison where he was tortured and beheaded on april 24, 1723.
Chateau Saint-Maire, built between 1397 and 1427, was originally the Bishop's Palace. It is it is probably designed by the Italian craftsmen who came at the invitation of Bishop of Lausanne Guillaume de Challant. Between 1536 and 1798, under Bernese rule, it subsequently became the residence of the bailiffs. In the last decade of the 19th century the general restoration of castle was undertaken. The restoration had been led by the Swiss, Vevey-born architect Eugene Jost.
Since 1803 Chateau Saint-Maire is the home of the Conseil d'Etat – State Council, which governs the Canton of Vaud. The castle is not open for public, so just its massive exterior can be admired.
Standing against the facade of Chateau Saint-Maire, there is the Monument of Major Jean Daniel Abraham Davel, one of the heroes of Vaud history. This Vaudois patriot attempted to liberate the region of Vaud, which at that time was held by the Bernese. Betrayed by his own people, he was beheaded in Vidy, on the shores of Lake Geneva, in 1723. The monument, artwork of J. Maurice Reymond de Broutelles, Swiss sculptor, painter, and engraver, was unveiled at the ceremony held on the 14th of November 1898.
Located just up the hill from the cathedral is the Chateau Saint-Maire. It was built between 1397 and 1427, primarily to serve as the Bishop's palace. The castle is believed to have been designed by Italian masters at the invitation of the Bishop.
This turreted building is now home to government offices and is not open to the public.
This impressive castle, located in the old town, is the current building of the Government of Vaud. Originally built between 1397 and 1427 as residence of the bishop, it's a grey molasse with a cube design, with an upper structure made of brick, because it was intended to serve also as a fortress. Unfortunately, since it is now a public building, it's hard for tourists to get in, so I had to conform myself with admiring the architecture from the outside :(
Built in 1400, this castle was built as the Bishop's palace and later served as the seat of Cantonal government.