Did you mean?Try your search again
The Cathedral of Notre Dame in Lausanne was built between 1170 and 1240 in the gothic style, with the western portal completed later in the flamboyant style.
The medieval architect Villard de Honnecourt drew the rose window of the south transept in his sketchbook of 1270.
Restoration was carried out in 1874 by Viollet Le Duc.
Be warned it's a pretty good walk uphill ....but once there you are rewarded with some great views
Written Oct 9, 2012
historically interesting town, ideal to explore on foot. plenty to see and do. hotels and restaurants excellent. geneva is worth a visit , it is not far by road or train.
it is useful to be able speak french or austrian or italian or german as well as english if you want to talk to other people, including the local people and other tourists. just because there is a macdonalds fast food restaurant, please dont expect them to understand english!!
Updated Jan 24, 2012
Yes were the fancy water is from!
There are about 28 boats a day going over there. It takes only 35 minutes and is quite scenic. Evian is pittoresque and worth a trip. Specially to go over there for lunch.
Written Jul 11, 2011
Address: Evian, France
With small kids a great outdoor pool! There is heaps of different pools for the little ones and a playground and lots of slides. Restaurant, Snack bar, 50 meter pool lots of shade and free parking.
Entrance for adults 5 CHF
For the big slides you will have to pay extra
Written Jul 11, 2011
Address: Avenue du Censuy 36, Renens
Phone: 021 632 73 52
The Lavaux landscape was formed during the last ice age (13,000 years BC). The moraines left by the Rhone glaciers carved out the steep hills, which were subsequently covered by vegetation.
The sharp drop of the hillsides (from 15 to 100%) made the terrain unsuitable for agriculture. Nevertheless, from the XIIth century, following the gift given by the King of Burgundy to the Bishop of Lausanne, several convents began to clear the hills and cultivate vineyards. It was the start of the winegrowing era…They went on to build walls and create a system of terraces in order to support and flatten the terrain.
Then, the orders (monks and nuns) delegated this cultivation to lay people, who maintained the plants and walls. Thus, some of today’s winegrowers are direct descendants of the first winegrowers, perpetuating their love of the vineyards for over 17 generations.
On 28 June 2007, Lavaux was officially registered as one of the UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. Fashioned over the ages by man’s cultivation, this landscape is composed of terraced vineyards and typical villages, which have enabled Lavaux to be considered as a site of universal interest.
Written Jul 27, 2010
[…] Musee cantonal des Beaux-Arts – Cantonal Museum of Fine Arts posses a collection of Swiss, French and Italian art from the Middle Ages to the present day. At the time of our visit, the museum presented the exhibition Eclairages. Regards sur les collections du Musee, featuring the works of several artists, among them Caroline Bachmann & Stefan Banz, Ilona Ruegg, Robert Ireland, USA born artist who lives and works in Lausanne…
Musee cantonal de geologie – Cantonal Museum of Geology was established in 1818 as the Cantonal Museum, "following public donations to acquire the mineral collection of Henri Struve. In 1874 the Cantonal Museum was reorganized thematically and the Museum of Geology installed itself in the former bishop's palace (present day Musee historique de Lausanne – Lausanne Historical Museum). The creation of the Museum encouraged those who were passionate about science to donate their collections. This is how such illustrious figures from the canton as Jean de Charpentier, director of the Bex salt mines and the patriotic vaudois, Frederic-Cesar de la Harpe, former private tutor to Tsar Alexander I, came to donate their impressive collections of minerals to the Museum. From 1850 onwards, Philippe de la Harpe, Eugene Renevier and later, Maurice Lugeon began to assemble the first paleontological collection and above all the great collection of regional geology […]." One of the most interesting parts of the museum is the dark room with fluorescent minerals.
Musee cantonal de zoologie – Cantonal Museum of Zoology displays a large collection of extinct animals from the region and other areas. Among the most astonishing is one of the largest white sharks to have ever been caught. In 1999 "the father of cryptozoology" Bernard Heuvelmans donated over 50,000 documents, photos, and specimens to the museum which made the Criptozoology Department of the Cantonal Museum of Zoology in Lausanne unique in the world.
Musee cantonal d'archeologie et d'historie – Cantonal Museum of Archeology and History was established in 1852. Its permanent exhibition was redesigned and modernized in 1997. It retraces the most ancient history of the canton of Vaud from the end of the Paleolithic times to the Neolithic era (12,000 – 2200 BC), displaying several small-scale model, slide shows and life-size reconstructions, presented in an innovative way, then continues with the Bronze Age (2200 – 800 BC), Iron Age (800 – 20 BC), the time of the Celts and Helvetians during the Roman era (20 BC – 450 AD), Middle Ages (450 – 800) and develop the villages, cities and religious monuments… and ends with modern era and predictions for the future.
Musee monetaire cantonal – Cantonal Money Museum is one of the richest museums of such type in Switzerland. Occupying tiny, beautifully designed space, it is heaven on earth for those interested in numismatics.
Museums in Palace Rumine offer very entertaining day for those interested in the subjects they are devoted to. They are very suitable for children.
Updated Mar 13, 2010
Address: Place de la Riponne 6, Lausanne
The most attractive part of Flon district certainly is the square called Esplanade du Flon with superb architectural achievement – Miroiterie building, designed by architects Brauen & Walchli. Miroiterie was opened in 2007. Its triangular cushions facade illuminated from the inside during night time is, as far as we heard, either highly admired or considered to be gross. We do think it is beautiful.
The huge nightclub Mad, opened in 1980, is at the same square (we have not been in it, but we still ask ourselves why, we will next time, for sure!).
Updated Feb 25, 2010
It was very hard for us to imagine that Flon, modern and greatly designed district of Lausanne, was considered to be a bad area of the city until the early 1990s. Flon, located between two bridges – Pont Chauderon and Grand-Pont, Rue de Geneve and Montbenon, was named after the river Flon, now running underground, once flowed in this area.
This ancient valley, during its history was wooded, latter covered with vineyards, and, to quote Wikipedia article: in "early industrial development in the 19th century saw new mills, tanneries and other fullers […], accompanied by a bad reputation due to the activity of leather work, which brought unpleasant smells, forcing Lausanne inhabitants to avoid the place". During the 19th century the valley was filled by the soil extracted when the first Swiss funicular was drilled, in 1877, connecting Ouchy with the Flon. Then warehouses were built to harbour the goods which came by boat from Ouchy.
In the late 20th century Flon developed into modern area with cafes, cinemas, art galleries…
During the our time in Lausanne, Flon was the venue of the open-air exhibition celebrating sport and announcing 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games. Among the most appealing was "Over the hurdles", artwork of Zhang Zhiyu, honouring the achievement of Chinese 110 metre hurdler Liu Xiang – Olympic Gold medal won in 2004, in Athens.
Updated Feb 25, 2010
Described on excellent Wikitravel Lausanne article as "a world-class photography museum", Musee de l'Elysee was among our must-sees in Lausanne. Greatly designed museum interior and two exhibitions – one displaying the old photos from the museum collection, and the other, temporary exhibition of present-day photography called Teen City, fulfilled our expectations.
The following is the copy-pasted and shortened text from the very good and informative web page of the museum, regarding the history of the museum building as well as the institution of the museum: "Musee de l'Elysee is housed in what was once an elegant mansion in the area known as the Little Ouchy. It was designed by the architect Abraham Fraisse and built between 1780 and 1783 for Henri de Mollins (1729 – 1811), a Swiss officer serving the Dutch Royal family and a Major of the regiment stationed in Lausanne. […] The building was named L'Elysee in 1834. With its splendid park, it stands on an exceptional site overlooking the lake. […] In 1971, the building was bought by the state. It was completely restored and in part equipped as a museum. Between 1980 and 1985, it housed the Canton of Vaud's Collection of Prints, later transferred to Vevey following the foundation of the Musee de l'Elysee, as a museum for photography, by Charles-Henri Favrod in October 1985. The wealth of its collection and the various loans deposited in the museum provide a comprehensive picture of the historical and aesthetic development of photography from the first images in the1840's to the digital photography of today. Over a period of 15 years, the museum has held some 350 exhibitions and has organized more than 100 elsewhere, developing progressively into an internationally renowned institution. […]"
Updated Feb 24, 2010
Address: Avenue de l'Elysee 18, Lausanne
Phone: +41 (0)21 316 99 11
Musee de design et d'arts appliques contemporains – Museum of Design and Contemporary Applied Arts, abbreviated – MUDAC, opened in June 2000, is the successor to Lausanne's Musee des arts decoratifs. At the official museum web presentation is stated that it "wishes to be a place for exchanges and encounters between the various fields of design, the applied arts and contemporary art." MUDAC is, at least for us, the most interesting museum of Lausanne, along with Musee Olympique and Collection de l'Art Brut. It occupies the building known as Maison Gaudard which consists of four medieval dwelling houses joined together. This appealing edifice was named after sub-prefect Gaudard who "joined the northeastern and western sections of the building together and added the tower with a pointed roof that is so easily spotted from the surrounding areas…"
In the amazing subterranean space of the museum is beautifully designed permanent exhibition of the Jacques-Edouard Berger Collection of Ancient Egyptian and Asian Art. An hour in the cellar of MUDAC was among the highlights of our two weeks in Lausanne.
On the second floor of the museum is displayed another permanent exhibition – Contemporary glass art. "The MUDAC offers visitors the chance to come and explore the history and present condition of glass art." Among the best pieces of the collection are those made by some of the greatest 20th century artists – Marc Chagall, Pablo Picasso, Max Ernst, Jean Cocteau, Jean Arp… in collaboration with Egidio Costantini, "'master of the masters', […] the one person who could teach artists how to transform their work into glass sculptures, […] the primary protagonist of the art of glass making…". Among the other are works of Salvador Dali, Peter Aldridge, Josef Kochdra, Frantisek Vizner…
Besides the permanent collection, the museum presents several temporary exhibitions per year. At the time of our visit to the museum, in July of 2008, there were From Hand to Hand, a selection of jewelery by European creators, and The Rings of Dieter Roth.
Updated Feb 24, 2010
Address: Place de la Cathedrale 6, Lausanne
Phone: +41 (0)21 315 25 30
Movenpick Hotel Lausanne Lausanne
6 Reviews and 186 Opinions This hotel is situated on the lake. I had a window looking out to the lake but the traffic at all...
Beau Rivage Palace Lausanne
2 Reviews and 179 Opinions It was a Lake Leman Waterfront Hotel at Lausanne, not far from Port de OUCHY. From my room, I can...
Lausanne Palace & Spa Lausanne
1 Review and 104 Opinions Few hotels can beat lausanne Palace Hotel. Interior design Interesting clientele Excellent...