Montreux Things to Do

by balhannah
    by balhannah

Most Recent Things to Do in Montreux

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

A tribute to a long time resident

by jlanza29 Written Oct 13, 2012

Freddie Mercury was an adopted son of Montreux .... he spent several years here recording various Queen's albums .... this statue is dedicated to his memory.

It's located on the waterfront .... can't miss it ask anyone and they'll tell you where it's at !!!!

TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE

by balhannah Updated Sep 7, 2011

Tourist office is here

Accommodation......We didn't have any, so we had to find the tourist info centre. We were driving along the Grand Rue when we came across it at the Place de l'Eurovision. The staff were extremely helpful and gave me maps and filled me in on all the information I needed.
    They found reasonably priced accommodation for us, rang and booked us in, and all we had to do was turn up. Tours can be booked here too!

It is located the lake-side of the Grand Rue

OPEN.....April–Sept ....Mon–Sat 9am–6pm......Sun..... 9am–noon
    Oct–March ......Mon–Fri 9am–6pm....... Sat... 9am–noon

LES ROCHERS-DE-NAYE

by balhannah Updated Sep 6, 2011

View over Montreux

We drove our car up a very windy, narrow, Mountain road as far as we could, which was the Col de Jaman parking area. From here, to reach the summit, is a 2-3 hours walk. We were quite content to enjoy the incredible views from here! There isn't much at the parking lot, a few house's and a Restaurant.
    The easy way to reach the Mountain top, is by Cog Railway from Montreux.

VISIT OUCHY

Ouchy

Ouchy is a part of Lausanne, but is located beside Lake Geneva.
    We wanted to visit the promenade and the gardens, and found parking was a problem. Eventually, after a few circuit's, we managed to find a park.
    Located here is a wonderful, well laid out garden, in all its glory. For gardener's like me, it is a must see if in the area.
    There was even a nice statue of General Guisan on his horse.

VISIT THE OLD TOWN OF LUTRY

Lutry

Lutry was located before we reached Lausanne. As it was lunch time, we decided to stop in this smaller town, rather than larger Lausanne.
    It was a good choice! Only small, Lutry has a delightful old town that I enjoyed exploring. Narrow streets, gorgeous Rose's in bloom, interesting shops, Church, and a lovely promenade area.
    There were lots of boats in the calm water, and plenty of seating and shade to enjoy the view. There is a Kiosk, waterfront, and behind the Kiosk is Toilet's if you need them.

MONTREUX - LAUSANNE

A9 & Lavaux Terraces

This is a drive of about 28kms if you follow the A9, longer if you follow the lake-side and see all the pretty villages.
    We did both ways, and even though the distance is not far, it is a full days outing if you wish to stop and look around some of the villages, they do deserve this.

So, I will tell you about the A9. This is a very nice drive too, because on the way, we had wonderful views of the Lavaux Terrace's which are terraced vineyards and are a listed UNESCO world heritage site.
    To me, they look like an engineering masterpiece, I thought, what a job it would have been to build them, simply amazing! A little further on, we came across a waterfall, another stop, another photo! Lake and Mountain views were gorgeous!
    This drive would have some of the most breathtaking scenery I have seen on my travel's, it was something to see!
    Even if you haven't a car, why not go by Bus or Train and see this lovely part of Switzerland.

CHILLON CASTLE

by balhannah Updated Sep 6, 2011

What a beautiful location for this Chateau. There were good places for photo's in every direction only my problem was the Sun, I was looking directly into it.

I must say, I was very surprised to read that this was Switzerlands most visited historic monument.

It is believed that this site has been occupied since the Bronze Age!
    Chillon was built on a small, rocky island so as to control the passage between northern and southern Europe. Really, I hardly realized it was on an Island, it is so close to the mainland!
    Over the years, it has been gradually added to, until it is, what I saw today.
    Documentation dates back to the Savoy period and 1150, then the Bernese period from 1536 to 1798, when the Castle still was a fortress, arsenal and Prison. In 1803, the Castle became the property of the Canton of Vaud and restoration began at the end of the 19th century.

Now, it is tourist's like you and me, that can visit this Castle and enjoy all the hard work put into restoration. I went inside for a look, and I will tell you more about it.

I had the Montreux Riviera card, so on presentation of my card, I was admitted for half price [6chf]

The castle is open every day of the year, except the 1st of January and the 25th of December.

OPEN....
    April to September 9:00 to 7PM last entry 6pm
    October 9:30 - 6pm last entry 5pm
    November to February 10:00 - 5pm last entry 4pm
    March 9:30 - 6pm Last entry 5pm

ADMISSION PRICES IN 2011.....Adult 12CHF...Children....6chf
    Guided tours are available and cost extra.
    Audio guides are an extra 6chf

• Castles and Palaces

INSIDE CHILLON CASTLE

Chillon Castle

I paid my admission and walked into the Castle via the drawbridge. On entry I liked what I saw [photo 2] With my free map in hand, it was time to go inside.

This Castle isn't furnished much compared to others I had seen. I went into one of the four formal great halls in the castle, and all that was there, were bench tables and chairs. The walls were detailed, and from the windows, there were lovely views. I tried to imagine the sumptuous banquets that would be held here, but I found it a little difficult!
    I found the underground quite interesting. Huge rocks still showing and big Arches built into them. This area was used as a prison.
    I went to all the rooms, a lot had old frescoes.
    Before I left, I had a look in the shop, and then was on my way after a interesting time in my 1st Swiss Castle.

• Castles and Palaces

WALK OR DRIVE MONTREUX

Montreux

The tourist information centre does have a two-hour walking tour of Montreux.
    It operates from April–Oct Wed–Sat 10am & 3pm; Fr.10.
    The walk takes you around the old town, so there is uphill walking. It can be done yourself, as it is marked on the tourist map, or like us, we drove the route in our car and had a look this way and at other parts of the old town.
    I always like the "old towns" in the cities, and this was no exception. The architecture of lots of buildings in Montreux is beautiful, so do the tour one way or another.

ROOF'S

Montreux

Just something I noticed in Montreux.....

Some of the Building roof's were done in a design and looked ever so nice. They are scattered through-out Montreux, and are on all types of buildings. Perhaps they have a special name for this type of roof?
    Have a look at the photo's to see what I mean!

THE PROMENADE

Montreux

The promenade stretches for miles, in fact, you can walk from Chillon Castle all the way to Vevey. We only walked part, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The views were great!
    There were nice parks situated along the way, places for ice-creams, drinks and meals, plenty of seating, and different sculptures scattered on the lake-side.
    We found it a very nice area to sit in the evening. We watched the Steamer's on the lake, people strolling and roller blading, there were a couple of Ducks, and there were even some people swimming near us!
    No need for an expensive meal either, we bought take-away and sat by the lakeside and enjoyed a lovely, cheap evening in Montreux.
    I think most of Montreux come out in the evening to enjoy this lovely area.

• Hiking and Walking

ROSE GARDEN & MORE

by balhannah Updated Sep 5, 2011

Rose garden

Located on the edge of the Lake and beside the Promenade, I came across many gardens.
    This one in particular was very nice. It had a Rose garden with many of the Rose's in full bloom.
    The other part was more modern, had stone sculpture's, etc., reminded me a bit of a Japanese style garden. All were interesting, and this garden is worth having a look at.

It was located next to the Fairmont Palace gardens, heading towards the information centre.

MONTREUX PALACE GARDENS

Montreux palace gardens

Located across the road from the famous Fairmont Montreux Palace, are the beautiful gardens.
    Here, I found the busts of important Jazz singers that have performed at the Montreux Jazz festival.
    The last one to be added, was Aretha Franklin.
    There are a few more sculptures than I took photo's of.
    The garden is located at street level of the Grand Rue. This is high, and I looked down to Lake Geneva, ever so pretty. At one end of the Park, is the lovely pond in my photo.

QUINCY JONES

Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones was born, March 14th 1933.

Another great Jazz player that has performed in Montreux!
    His first solo album called "This Is How I Feel About Jazz" was very successful, and probably was when his career really took off!

Barbara Riley donated a bronze statue of Quincy Jones in the legendary musician’s honour.

RAY CHARLES

by balhannah Written Sep 5, 2011

This bust was "just" how I remember Ray Charles!

Ray Charles Robinson was born September 23rd 1930 in a very poor family in Albany, Georgia.
    Ray, had a hard childhood witnessing deaths in the family, and then, losing his eyesight at the age of four because of the disease, Glaucoma.

He was another favourite at the Montreux Jazz festivals, playing four times.
    His last visit was in 1997.
    He died at age 73 at his home in Beverly Hills, USA.

Instant Answers: Montreux

Comments

Montreux Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Montreux things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montreux sightseeing.