Matterhorn Museum, Zermatt

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

The Matterhorn Museum......

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 28, 2010

The entrance.......

I'm not one who visits a lot of museums, but as I mentioned on my Zermatt main page, the Matterhorn fascinated me to the point of distraction. Since the museum was just two blocks from my hotel and since my Swiss Flexi Pass afforded me free entry, there really was no reason for me not to go in. And I'm here to tell you that I'm very glad that I did.
    Most of the museum is built underground and here, parts of Zermatt as it was in the early days, have been faithfully recreated. There is also a very extensive section devoted to the history of the first successful ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 which ended tragically when four of the team lost their lives on the way down. There is also a theatrette which shows a film of that first ascent which was also made at the same time as an attempt from the Italian side of the mountain. The story of the rivalry between the two teams is extremely interesting, to say the least.

• Mountain Climbing

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

by Dyesebel Updated Feb 9, 2008

Just like any other museum,Matterhorn Museum houses the remains and preserves Zermatt's history.From the story of the first settlers,the rope of the first ascenders of Matterhorn til the modern Zermatt are just few things to see in the museum.Actually,the museum architechture itself is already astonishing.It's definitely worth visiting.

Entrance: 10 Sfr. Adult

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

The animals of the Matterhorn Museum

by Maryimelda Updated Jan 16, 2013

The Pack Mule

There are a number of beautifully preserved stuffed animals in the Matterhorn Museum. I had these pictures in a Travelogue, but I felt that more people would see them here. They are really wonderfully presented and it is so hard to believe that they are dead. Photo 1 is the Pack Mule, Photo 2 is the Ibex and Photo 3 is the chicken. Be sure to look at all three photos and enlarge for better viewing.

• Photography

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Opening times in Winter

by MikeBird Written Feb 8, 2013

Alpine Marmots in front of the Museum

I had an hour before setting off on the Glacier Express at 10am so I thought I'd have a look around the museum. Sadly I found that during the winter after 15th December it opens between 3pm and 7pm. So I had to go without. Presumably this is because the majority of the visitors to Zermatt will be out on the slopes during daylight hours.
    Visit the Museum website ( see below) for full details of opening times and prices.

Instead I had to admire the rather amusing statue and water fountain which is in front of the Museum.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Written Aug 10, 2010

Matterhorn Museum

This small museum in the main town square next to the cathedral is dedicated to the history of climbing the Matterhorn.

• Mountain Climbing