Lugano Restaurants

Guancia di maiale
    by ampcarlos

Most Recent Restaurants in Lugano

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Parco Civico: Delicious sorbet!

by ettiewyn Updated Sep 29, 2012

In Parco Civico, close to the lakefront, there was a small stall selling coffee and other drinks. My mom wanted one, so we walked there - and I was so delighted when I discovered that they were selling sorbet!!!
    As a vegan, I loved the sorbets in the UK, but they are not common in Germany. Thus, I was so happy to find sorbet in Lugano, especially on this hot and sunny day!
    I decided for a strawberry one and we sat down by the lake and enjoyed a little break. My only warning is that you need some wet wipes, otherwise you will have sticky hands until you find a washroom ;-)

Unfortunately, being so happy about my sorbet, I neither wrote down the name of the stall, nor the exact price, but I remember that it was not expensive. I think it must have been about 2€.

Staff were also extremely friendly and spoke several languages.

Favorite Dish: I loved the strawberry one, but I wish I could have tasted all the different flavors!

La Perla del Lago: Romantic dinner

by ealgisi Updated Apr 4, 2011

The right place for a romantic dinner with your girlfriend or wife, or maybe with just a friend.
    On top of the local Casino you will find this nice and warm restaurant with a big window right on the lake that will give you a nice view of the lake during the day and in the evening lights are reflecting on the water, creating a game of colours.

In summer there's also the possibility to eat outside.

ELVEZIA AL LAGO: DROP DEAD GORGEOUS ON THE WATER

by thinking Updated Apr 4, 2011

A view similar to the one you will see from here

The restaurant is part of a mini hotel. The food was good, but the surroundings is why people go here.
    To get there, you either walk for 20 minutes down a trail or come by boat. It is on Lake Lugano and the view is spectacular. In fact, is is drop dead gorgeous. I never want to leave. I just want to set there forever.

The owners, Herbert and Doris Lucke, are there to welcome you every day.

Favorite Dish: I have tried their small salad bar, as well as the fish of the day. One time I had ice cream and strawberries because it was so hot in summer 2003. Everything was always very good.

• Eco-Tourism

Spaghetti Store: Spaghetti Store

by musti72 Updated Apr 4, 2011

From outside you have a view on the lake

If you want to eat pasta and you don't have the possibility or the time to go to the "Ristorante degli artisti" described above, you should try this place. It's in the center, between via Nassa and the Lakeshore, with a view on the lake.
    There are some different specialities every day.

Favorite Dish: Everything you get here is good pasta. If you like seafood you definitely have to try the "spaghetti alla pescatore".
    My other favorite dish is "spaghetti store special": spaghettis with porcini mushrooms, garlic, bacon, cream and tomatoes.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

La Bottega Del Caffé

by MalenaN Written Apr 2, 2009

Hot chocolate

Before leaving Lugano I decided to go somewhere to have a hot chocolate with whipped cream. I had passed Grand Café Al Porto before so I went there . It looks like an old and expensive café. Grand Café was full and I didn’t want to wait. I started to walk up the hill towards the train station and then saw La Bottega Del Café. As I had only 30 minutes before I had to continue to the train station I ordered a hot chocolate with whipped cream as soon as I came in. I then sat down and waited, and waited. I waited 20 minutes for the chocolate. I think the guy behind the counter was alone so he had prepared the drinks for several people (arriving after me) before going to the tables.
    Well the café is a nice place and if I had not been in a hurry I could have sat here for a while reading a book. On the menu there are a big variety of coffees, teas and hot chocolates. The hot chocolate was thick and rich (just as it should be), but I couldn’t make up my mind if I liked it or not. There was a flowery taste I was not prepared for, but in the end I decided it was good, but just not what I had expected. The hot chocolate with whipped cream was 7 CHF (February 2009).

• ampcarlos's Profile Photo

Grotto Cavicc: Don't miss this grotto

by ampcarlos Written Aug 8, 2007

Guancia di maiale

This restaurant is in the woods in Montagnola.It is opened from March to October and opened every day June, July and August. I believe it is closed on Tuesdays the other months. There is seating inside and outside. During the warm summer months it's nice to sit outside under the chestnut trees. They have a huge canopy to cover the outdoor area when it's raining, so you won't get wet! In the evening the bugs come out, so if having bugs buzzing about you bothers you, eat inside.

If you know who Hermann Hesse is, this is a grotto he patronized. His museum is in Montagnola.

Favorite Dish: Everytime I go I get the guancia di maiale (I think that's how you spell it). It's pork cheeks, okay, I know it sounds gross, but it is so tender and flavorful. It is served with polenta and topped off with a delish sauce. It is a big portion, just look at the picture.

My husband likes the filetto di cervo (deer). I have never tasted it, but if he keeps ordering it, it must be good, right? He has commented that it is very tender and cooked just right. I know they serve puledro (baby horse), my husband's co-worker has ordered it. No, I don't eat puledro, but it is a popular meat in Ticino.

Next time I eat here, I'll order something different, maybe!

Osteria del Popolo: Grill

by ealgisi Written Apr 10, 2007

Nice and familiar ambient outside the city center.
    Delicious meat for lovers and prices in the range.
    The specialty is grilled meat but you can choose between different kind of dishes (fondue, pasta, etc...)

Favorite Dish: 800gr. steak.

Antica Osteria del Porto: Don't miss the risotto

by ealgisi Updated Mar 26, 2007

Very nice ambient, people are very friendly and you will be more than welcome.
    Dishes are fabulous and absolutely not expensive.

Also a very nice place for a romantic dinner with your wife or girlfriend, or just a girl.
    After dinner you can just walk in the park near the restaurant for a fantastic view of the lake and what's all around.

Favorite Dish: Risotto with Mushrooms

• marsi77's Profile Photo

Dine at Manor or Migros

by marsi77 Written Sep 15, 2006

Everywhere is super expensive in Lugano. Softdrinks and ice creams are very very expensive as is food. The most efficient option was the Manor or Migros. We only went once to Migros, since they close at 5. But Manor closes at 10 everyday except on Saturdays. Manor is kind of a self service restaurant, where you choose your own ingredients for pasta, pizza, meat and fish. The restaurant is clean and staff are really friendly. The most outstanding thing that Manor has is its price compared to other restaurants. Pizzas are 12FR (all type except Margherita), the same for pasta. A dish of meat costs around 16FR. Manor restaurants are found all over Switzerland.

Favorite Dish: Sea food pasta

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Bar/ristorante Argentino: Bar/ristorante Argentino

by myriam_c Updated Sep 14, 2004
    Bar/ristorante Argentino

This bar/restaurant had an attractive sidewalk terrace and it wasn't too expensive, which cannot be said from most of the restaurants in Lugano!

Favorite Dish: He: vegetarian salad (veggies + pecorino cheese) and pasta carbonara
    Me: mixed salad and pizza 'Puglie'
    A pitcher of red wine, coffee and tea for 68 CHF.

INVESTORS CAFE: Fresh Orange Juice, Great Coffee & Pastry

by thinking Written Dec 30, 2003

Town Center

I L O V E this place.
    It is a "mini-coffee house" with newspapers and magazines for you to read in many languages.

It is open from 6:00am to 8:00pm Monday-Friday.

Favorite Dish: I love the fresh orange juice and the coffee.

Manor (3rd floor of Manor Dept Store): Lots of Choice and Good Cooking also

by thinking Updated Dec 27, 2003

An entrance to Manor's restaurant

This is a good value and it is open every day of the year in the city center.

If you order Salmon, it is their habit to give you 2 small pieces of salmon, which for me & a friend, is quite enough since you can scoop as many vegetables & rice or potatoes with the order.

My suggestion is to only order one lunch of salmon for two people. A salmon dinner is approximately CH15. So if 2 shared, it is half the price. Of course this won't work if you need large portions.

They have salads, soups, hot lunches, sandwiches, pizza, vegetables, pasta, fruit salads and dessert.
    Everything is "very good" and superior to the food you will find in New York restaurants.

Favorite Dish: I like the grilled salmon and often they make two pieces, so one dinner was enough for me and my husband, as was a salad or Minestrone Soup.

They have a very good selection of fresh fruits, pastries, and good expresso.

Grand Cafe: Lovely Lunches in Air Conditioned Premises

by thinking Updated Aug 12, 2003

Outside of Grand Cafe

The restaurant is lovely and the food is very good.

They serve beautifully made pastries and expresso inside as well as outside.

They also serve lunch.
    There are 3 different choices of the day and also a la carte menu.

The chef is creative and the food is very good. I never
    tried the pastries, but they looked beautiful.

I was very happy to find this place, as the summer 2003 was the hottest ever. It was a pleasure to go there!

Favorite Dish: Every lunch I had on the several occassions I was there was very good.

The house wine of the region is MERLOT and it is also a very good choice.

• Luxury Travel

• musti72's Profile Photo

Ristorante degli Artisti: Best Pasta!

by musti72 Updated Jul 9, 2003

If you like pasta you have to go there! The romantic setting in the middle of old typical houses makes it even more special.
    Open from 19:00 to 02:00 it makes an ideal place to eat if you are hungry late in the evening.

Favorite Dish: Pasta, pasta, pasta!!
    Try the ones with seafood!

• musti72's Profile Photo

Grotto Figini: Best Local Food for Less!

by musti72 Updated Jul 9, 2003

If you are in Ticino you definitely have to go to a Grotto, a typical rural restaurant you usually find in the woods and where you can enjoy local specialities. This one is the cheapest Grotto around Lugano, and it's also one of the best! In Summer you can stay outside and eat under the trees.

Favorite Dish: Try Polenta (special made corn) with Porcini (mushrooms) and Horsesteak!

Instant Answers: Lugano

Comments

Lugano Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lugano restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lugano sightseeing.