Daubensee Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Daubensee

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes- The Final Problem

by Rhondaj Written Aug 29, 2004

Fondest memory: Once, I remember, as we passed over the Gemmi, and walked along the border of the melancholy Daubensee, a large rock which had been dislodged from the ridge upon our right clattered down and roared into the lake behind us. In an instant Holmes had raced up on to the ridge, and, standing upon a lofty pinnacle, craned his neck in every direction. It was in vain that our guide assured him that a fall of stones was a common chance in the springtime at that spot. He said nothing, but he smiled at me with the air of a man who sees the fulfilment of that which he had expected.

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo

An excerpt of Mark Twain's - A Tramp Abroad

by Rhondaj Written Aug 29, 2004
    snow topped mountain

Fondest memory: A great and priceless thing is a new interest! How it takes possession of a man! how it clings to him, how it rides him! I strode onward from the Schwarenback hostelry a changed man, a reorganized personality. I walked into a new world, I saw with new eyes. I had been looking aloft at the giant show-peaks only as things to be worshiped for their grandeur and magnitude, and their unspeakable grace of form; I looked up at them now, as also things to be conquered and climbed. My sense of their grandeur and their noble beauty was neither lost nor impaired; I had gained a new interest in the mountains without losing the old ones. I followed the steep lines up, inch by inch, with my eye, and noted the possibility or impossibility of following them with my feet. When I saw a shining helmet of ice projecting above the clouds, I tried to imagine I saw files of black specks toiling up it roped together with a gossamer thread.
    We skirted the lonely little lake called the Daubensee, and presently passed close by a glacier on the right-- a thing like a great river frozen solid in its flow and broken square off like a wall at its mouth. I had never been so near a glacier before.
    Here we came upon a new board shanty, and found some men engaged in building a stone house; so the Schwarenback was soon to have a rival. We bought a bottle or so of beer here; at any rate they called it beer, but I knew by the price that it was dissolved jewelry, and I perceived by the taste that dissolved jewelry is not good stuff to drink.

Instant Answers: Daubensee

Comments

Daubensee Favorites

Reviews and photos of Daubensee favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Daubensee sightseeing.