Basel Restaurants

• antistar's Profile Photo

Rollerhof: Museum Bistro

by antistar Written Dec 1, 2013
    View of Munsterplatz from Rollerhof

Basel's culture museum has a little bistro with a perfect location overlooking Munsterplatz. For its location and for Switzerland the food and the prices are surprisingly good. Decent menu, good service and well presented food in a great spot for decent prices.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Ueli Stube: Ueli stube

by bonio Written Jun 28, 2012

Conveniently close to our hotel after a long day travelling. Large terrace with the bonus of live footie on the screen (Euro 2012 Ned v Den). Good food and friendly service, Mrs B particularly enjoying a rosti with a tasty schnitzel for me plus a couple of local beers to go with it, decent place to visit.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Der Rollerhof: Münster this

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Apr 4, 2011

We've eaten twice in this typical restaurant. This old 'hof am Münsterplatz' has been transformed in a classical restaurant with a modern touch. The menu has mainly Italian dishes which have been prepared with excellent fish, meat and vegetable. The wine cart also features Swiss wine, but we didn't dare to try these. Once we ate with seven and all the different dishes were excellent. Friendly people. The restaurant has a terrace on the square.

Favorite Dish: Ossobuco with polenta: very balanced taste,

• Neptun: Fine authentic Mediterranean cuisine

by gurkpeter Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Npetun is an Italian Restaurant, located close to the river Rhein in Kleinbasel.

It is a very good and fairly priced Restaurant. I like to go there with my family or when we have guests.

The Restaurant has two parts, a bar and the restaurant itself. The bar in itself has original Italian atmosphere. There is a non-smoking room for those who really like to taste how good Mediterranean food is.

The restaurant is run by a team of young people benefiting from their know-how learnt in the most prestigious places in Sankt Moritz (which is an extremely touristic place in Switzerland).

The menu is changed with the seasons and the dishes are made of fresh ingredients - this really makes a difference to most other restaurant in Basel.

Follow the suggestions of the waiter, we did not regret it.

Favorite Dish: Panna cotta was the best I ever ate
    Even the simpler dishes are very tasty, I especially like pasta with forest mushrooms.

• Business Travel

• aleena_81's Profile Photo

Papa Joe's: American restaurant & caribbean cocktail bar

by aleena_81 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Eating at Papa joe's is a special event. The ambience is fantastic, theres always nice sound and the food is delicious!
    Don't forget to do a reservation! It's always full house there!
    There's also a casino in the same building!

Favorite Dish: Migthy mike's, Cheesburg(l)er and chocolate fondue! :-)

• Casino and Gambling

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

FISCH RESTAURANT SPITZ (AND HOTEL): YOU DON'T HAVE TO CATCH THEM YOURSELF.......

by eden_teuling Updated Apr 4, 2011

INFO RESTAURANTS..

In fact it is a comfortable **** Hotel and is well-known for its best Fish restaurant in town!

It is recommended for its delicious fish dishes from the sea, the lake and river!!!

Favorite Dish: Of course: I always PREFER a fishdish....and here it was l'embarras du choix!!

But I enjoyed a fine mixed seafruit dish and left happily....

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Krafft: Fine dining

by german_eagle Written Nov 3, 2010

entrance to the dining room

My resident friend had made a reservation (highly recommended) for this restaurant. It turned out to be very busy that Saturday night with the Basel University hospital celebrating graduation there. We had fun doing the "people watching" thing :-)

The ambience in the dining room is quite elegant. Large windows allow views of the Rhine river and the Grossbasel townscape (if it's not dark, LOL). Service was very good, quick and competent.

Favorite Dish: I had the marroni (chestnut) soup with porcino mushroom brulee - fantastic. The brulee comes in a bowl (looking like creme brulee, but salty tasting and with the mushrooms), then the waiter pours the soup into the bowl. Entree was Angus beef entrecote (medium - perfect) with wasabi (the japanese horseradish), vegetables and riso venere (black risotto). Absolutely yummy. We had mineral water and a red wine - Pinot Noir Reserva by Wegelin from Malans, Grisons, superb! - with the meal.

The check was 120 CHF per person. Quite expensive but given the quality I won't complain too loud.

Restaurant Spillmann: Watch the Rhine Swimmers

by matjung Written Apr 12, 2009

The Spillmann Restaurant is located adjacent to the Rhine.
    On a sunny day and even on less sunny days you have great location where you can watch the Rhine Swimmers (men, women and children swimming down the Rhine).

Besides the views, the food is of good quality.
    In the afternoon you will also get cakes, coffee or tea.

Favorite Dish: I love the asparagus dishes with fish and vegetables.
    The self made deserts like apple strudle are also good.

• Trains
    • Museum Visits

Mövenpick: Famous eaterie in Grossbasel

by matjung Written Mar 29, 2009

The restaurant is located at the central market place. Opposite of the old city hall.
    The apple juice is pretty good there.

The menu itself looks rather confusing at times.
    It is best to ask for the dishes of the day, or seasonal dishes.

Favorite Dish: Entenbrust

Kaffi zum König: Local Eaterie in Kleinbasel

by matjung Written Mar 29, 2009

The Kaffi zum König is located at the 2nd floor of the Clara Shopping center.
    The food is of good quality and the chef likes to serve the plates himself.

You´ll also find a nice selection of hand made chocolate there.

Favorite Dish: I like the daily dishes.

• Business Travel

• iammon's Profile Photo

Lily's Stomach Supply: Asian infused Stomach Supply

by iammon Written Apr 10, 2008

The slogan of the restaurant fits us VT-members very good: TAKE US AWAY. WHEREVER.

This is a uncomplicated place for a quick but great dish. Special for a Swiss restaurant: You get warm dishes from 11:00 through to 23:00!
    You can watch the chefs at work and they have a nice terrace in summer.
    They do take aways as well.

Favorite Dish: They serve everything from soups, curries, noodles and rice dishes and other yummy speciallities from the wok.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Der Vierte König (The Fourth King): Great food and atmosphere, Rhine-front!

by 850prc Updated Dec 8, 2007

Der Vierte K��nig exterior, on the Rhein

When we planned my visit to Basel, Corinne (MYNDO) and I decided that we'd do a late lunch. That way, we would be joined (after our city tour) by Corinne's husband Ruedi and her adorable little boy Simon. I learned later that the folks at Der Vierte König (The Fourth King) had actually allowed Corinne and Ruedi to make a late reservation (right at afternoon closing) just to accomodate our lunch. The Swiss certainly do a great job of welcoming visitors, don't they?

Anyway, the name (the fourth king) is kind of a play on circumstance. Starting on the very next floor up, this restaurant shares a building with "The Three Kings", which is one of Basel's most ritzy hotels. How expensive? Let's just point out that the hotel's vehicle is a $200K Bentley, rather than the ubiquitous mini-van. :) The owners of this excellent, but unassuming, eatery decided it would be fun to christen their establishment "the fourth king". Now, I don't know how fine the food is upstairs in and around The Three Kings, but Der Vierte König is an excellent and relaxed place to eat. It's one of those places where the food is prepared and presented in fine style... and yet the prices are affordable and the atmosphere is relaxed. It's a place where you don't have to wear a tie, and babies in strollers are still welcome. Simple and well prepared Swiss food...the kind that makes you happy and comfortable.

The waitress and owners were so very friendly to us, and I again appreciate that they gladly stayed open a bit longer to meet our time needs. Corinne and Ruedi made an excellent choice for our late lunch, and it was a memorable part of my day in Basel.

Favorite Dish: They had a very nice mittags-menu (lunch menu), featuring a prix fixe deal on appetizer + wine + main course. The cuisine was hearty and well-prepared swiss "meat and potatoes" fare.... one of my favorite things to eat. We all shared an excellent white wine for starters, and I also chose the crostini. If I remember correctly, Corinne and/or Ruedi had the homemade soup as their starters. For a main course, I had sliced pork, spaetzel, sauce and vegetable. And since it was the only time I'd be in Basel anytime soon, I decided to have a warm strudel with vanilla ice cream for dessert. All very good.

On a subsequent visit to the website, I see other options (the daily mittagsmenu varies) to be veal osso bucco, a mixed grill dish (usually the sort of thing that I really enjoy), "Pariser" Braten - a variation of sauerbraten, and a steak and cream schnitzel dish. Beloved vegetarians joining you for lunch? I see a potato gnocci and fresh mushroom choice.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Blasitorli: A beer off the beaten track

Blasitorli restaurant, Basel

On a warm and sunny Spring day in April 2007, most of the outdoor tables at the cafes and restaurants in Basel's Alt Stadt were full. I therefore had to venture a little way off the beaten track to find somewhere with outdoor seating where I could enjoy a cold beer.

I headed north along Mittlere Brucke (the arched bridge that crosses the Rhine river), along the busy shopping street of Greifengasse and then left along the quiet residential street of Untere Rebgasse.

After a few minutes walking along the latter street I spotted the bright red and yellow sign of Blasitorli restaurant. I could see that the outdoor courtyard was almost empty, so I ventured in and took a table.

I enquired as to whether food was served, but was told that food is not served until after 6pm. As it was early afternoon, I decided I'd just order a beer and go elsewhere for a meal later in the day.

I ordered a 500ml draught Warteck lager (Cost: 5.20 CHF) and sat studying my city map and planning the rest of my afternoon while soaking up a bit of sun in the peaceful courtyard.

Nothing special, but a nice place to escape the crowds for a quiet outdoor drink.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Hot 'n' Spicy: Kebabs and pizzas!

Hot 'n' Spicy, Basel

I ate at Hot 'n' Spicy one afternoon during a visit to Basel in April 2007.

This unpretentious fast food joint is located on Kohlenberg, just off Barfusserplatz, opposite a branch of McDonalds on the edge of the Alt Stadt.

There are a handful of tables outside and a few more inside. With it being a nice Spring day, I sat outside and watched the world go by on bustling Barfusserplatz.

The menu consists of a choice of pizzas (including margherita, ham and pineapple, mushroom and a unique "kebab pizza"), sandwiches, kebabs, french fries and a number of special meal deals (including a meal, a side dish and a drink).

I placed my order and sat at a table. After about 15 minutes, I started to look inside the restaurant to see if my food was coming. After a further 15 minutes, it was becoming quite evident that my food wasn't coming. I went back to the counter and asked if my meal was nearly ready and found that they had lost my order. I reordered and a few minutes later I was brought the wrong meal. The service was terrible, but at least they were very apologetic for their errors.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Kebab meal - Cost: 10.90 CHF

A large folded pitta bread, stuffed full of very tasty and very well cooked kebab meat, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, tomato, onions and lettuce. Served with a small dish of undercooked french fries and a 500ml bottle of Coca Cola.

Good food, poor service. I can highly recommend the kebabs...when they eventually arrive!

Bajwa Palace: Indian food on Elisabethenstrasse

Bajwa Palace Indian restaurant, Basel

I ate at Bajwa Palace one evening during a visit to Basel in April 2007.

This small Indian restaurant, which could easily go un-noticed with its rather bleak and bland facade, is located on Elisabethenstrasse, about halfway between the Swiss/French railway station and the Alt Stadt. The restaurant is a 5-10 minutes walk from both of these.

The interior is quite cosy and intimate, in contrast to its rather scruffy exterior. The tables are well set and candlelit, and the walls of the dining room are decorated with photos of Indian temples and palaces.

The menu offers a very extensive choice of curries (eg Rogan Josh, Jalfrezi, Tikka Masala, Vindaloo...), containing chicken, lamb, pork, seafood or, for vegetarians, vegetables.

As well as curries, which dominate the menu, there is a decent selection of dishes to accompany your main meal. These include samosas, pakoras, rice dishes, poppadums and nan breads.

The drinks menu includes soft drinks, beers (bottled and draught), wines, an extensive (and very expensive) list of spirits and coffee and tea.

Desserts include Indian ice cream and doughnuts.

Meals are served in metal bowls on candlelit tripods. While this ensures that your meal remains hot, it also means that the dishes become very hot and can lead to burnt fingers as you attempt to transfer the food from the dishes to your plate.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Poppadum with chutney - Cost: complimentary

A large poppadum served with a bowl of mango chutney.

Vegetable samosas - Cost: 8 CHF

Two samosas with a flaky exterior and a piping hot filling of spicy vegetables. Served with sour cream and a tangy brown sauce.

Chicken Jalfrezi with rice - Cost: 26.50 CHF

A bowl of tasty chicken curry with good quality chicken, peppers and onions. I opted for "medium" as opposed to "spicy" when the waiter asked me, but it was still hot enough.

Kingfisher beer (330ml bottle) - Cost: 5 CHF

Good quality Indian food and lots of choice. Fairly expensive. Recommended if you're not on a tight budget.

Instant Answers: Basel

Comments

Basel Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Basel restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Basel sightseeing.