Basel Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Basel

Schiesser: Chocolate ...

by german_eagle Written Jun 5, 2004

Caf�� and Confiserie Schiesser

Schiesser is a Café/Tea Room and Confiserie in the heart of Basel, right on the Market Square. It was founded in 1870 and is famous since then for excellent quality, especially chocolate/pralinés.

I had a hot chocolate, my friends espresso/cappuccino in the cosy room upstairs. No cakes this time - we were tight on time, what we (especially I) regret very much.

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate. But see my shopping tip as well ...

Sakura: Best Japanese in Town

by Myndo Updated Jul 5, 2004

Sakura

The Sakura is a Japanese Restaurant, located at/in the Train Station of Basel.

It is a very good (but not cheap) Restaurant. I like to go there for special occasions, like Celebrations etc.

The Restaurant is parted in two. In one part you can order dishes from the menu or have sushi a discretion.
    In the other section the menue you choose is prepared and cooked right at your table. Its a japanese table-grill.

Its is better to book ahead.

When there is Mass in Basel (like the clocks an yewellery mass) you will not have a change to get a table here - too many Japanese that booked ahead for months ... (speaks for the restaurant, I think).

Favorite Dish: Tepanyaki (table grill).
    Choose one of the menues.
    Mostly starts wit Sushi or Sahimi, or grilled duck ...
    then soup or salad with japanese stile sauce,
    then Clams or shrimps from the grill in front of you
    then Meat (beef sirloin or steak) flamb? also from the grill with garlik and vegetables (soja)
    fruit salad as dessert

drink sake and green tea with it, if you want to be traditional. They do also have good wine.

Service is excellent and watching the cook preparing the food makes quite a show.

Zur Wanderruh: Excellent food

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2004

My friend Phil took me and another friend to this charming restaurant. It is a neighbourhood restaurant, absolutely non-touristy.

The interior is modern, very nice. The staff in the family running restaurant was very friendly and competent. Very familiar atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: We had an excellent lunch. Salad first, then a parsley soup (hmmm) and risotto with mushrooms (great). White wine was obligatory (very good). And the 3-course meal was only 22 SFr. ...

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Gasthof zum Goldenen Sternen: Traditional ...

by german_eagle Written Jun 5, 2004

Gasthof zum Goldenen Sternen

This restaurant is one of the oldest in Basel, first mentioned in 1412. Originally it was located at the Aeschenplatz, but in the 1950s this square was enlarged, so the building was completely moved to its current place in the St. Alban Vorstadt. Everything was rebuilt originally at the new location.

Tables in front of the restaurant are available - under trees with views of the Rhine and the cathedral. Very charming interior, friendly and competent staff.

Favorite Dish: I had an excellent salad with flowers (eatable), salmon, king prawns, saffron and Italian dressing. Yummy! A glass of white wine from Lake Geneva and a coffee were obligatory.

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Brasserie zum Braunen Mutz - Bierhalle / Restauran: MARKET PLACE

by nygaston Updated Sep 5, 2004

Restaurant by the river

Brasserie zum Braunen Mutz - Bierhalle / Restaurant
    Im Parterre währschafte Bierhalle und Brasserie, im "Au Premier". Fischspezialitäten und US Beef.

Barfüsserplatz 10
    4051 Basel

=======================================
    Another option, you can go to the Restaurant STADTKELLER, it is not far from the Market Platz.

For the dessert,
    You can go to the Tea Room Schiesser - Wiener Kaffee
    Traditionsreiche Confiserie im Herzen der Stadt. Gegründet 1870.
    Marktplatz 19
    =======================================
    Then you can listen some music here:
    Bar Alpenblick - Cocktail-Lounge
    Die Bar mit Cooltour! Kleinbasler Szenentreff.
    Klybeckstrasse 29
    4057 Basel
    ========================================
    Finally, you can dance at:
    Bar Lounge nt Areal - Bar mit Kulturangebot
    Wandelbare Atmosphäre mit viel Tresen.
    Erlenstrasse 21
    4058 Basel

Disco Fantasia Latina - Latino-Diskothek
    Diskothek im ersten Stock des Küchlin-Gebäudes in der Steinenvorstadt.
    Steinenvorstadt 55
    4051 Basel

Favorite Dish: Grilled Fish and vegetables.
    Menu = 30 CHF (aug 2004)

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Der 4. König: you found the "Three Kings" but do you know No.4?

by Myndo Updated Sep 9, 2005

4th king

Living close to Basel all my life, but that gem I discovered only recently.
    The 4th King is located directly at the river Rhine (as you can see in the picture). It is a little bit hard to find: see my directions.

Not only has this small restaurant an excellent view on the River, the Middle Bridge and the smaller Basel, it also serves excellent food to quite considerate prices.
    If you can (and it is warm enough), try to grab a seat outside.

Favorite Dish: Mixed antipasti plate,
    Dessert: läkkerli sorbet with prunes.
    etc etc

Regional cuisine, near Claraplatz, Phone +41 61 681 12 77

Zum Isaak: Have a break at the Munster

by Myndo Written Sep 9, 2005

Entrance to the Zum Isaak

Located right at the Munster place (opposite the Munster itself), you can find Cafe Isaak. The seating is in a small place in the back, or inside the historical building but it is always a relaxing atmosphere.

Eat lunch or dinner, or just have a refreshing tea.

Favorite Dish: They serve very good teas (all kinds), also coffee and bakery.
    Have a relaxing break here.

Of course they also have a menue for lunch and dinner. Always fresh made.

• Wine Tasting

• thesmogster's Profile Photo

Wilhem Tell Restaurant: Wonderful Swis Rösti

by thesmogster Updated May 25, 2006

The Wilhem Tell

Slightly off the beaten track - but worthy of the brief walk.

After a busy day exploring the narrow back streets of Old Town Basel and you’re in the mood to compliment the day with some traditional Alpine fare, this is your place. I stumbled across this small, homely eatery after wandering across town to visit the Splanetor - a 10 minute walk from Barfusserplatz heading North West.

Literally, step-in off the street through the oversized wooden door down into a welcoming dining area with long upholstered bench seating down either side wall and huge, heavyweight wooden tables where everyone seems happy to share the distinctive buzz of conversation. It literally is a great place to relax with a bier - of which there are numerous - gather your thoughts, take in a short read or join in with the friendly older locals. Providing your German is up to scratch of course. I visited around 5.30pm after a busy day exploring and stayed for some time. Another pleasing aspect about The Willhem Tell was that I wasn’t rushed once I’d finished my meal. There was a friendly yet enthusiastic buzz about the place when I arrived and as more locals came in this enhanced the welcoming nature of the restaurant.

The only negative I should mention on my visit was customers’ smoke. I may have been unlucky - I don’t know, but there was a lot of smoke hanging in the air from a number of older gentlemen smoking cigars when I left. It didn’t ruin my visit as I’m a little more tolerant of cigar smoke - and luckily I had finished eating. It may be a problem for you but I would hope it doesn’t stop you visiting this charming place.

Please, take my advice. Plan a visit to see the Splanetor at some point in your day. Splanenvorstadt is a beautiful Basel street with some smashing old buildings, points of interest and old trams for numerous photo opportunities. Once you have your memories - visit The Wilhem Tell on the right down towards the Splanetor. You won’t be dissapointed!

Favorite Dish: I wanted to sample a traditional Rösti and the friendly waitress kindly suggested - in her perfectly broken English - a particular flavoursome variation to suit my eager pallet. I misplaced my bill and hence cannot recall the name of the dish, but it was quite delicious. A bacon, onion and tomato variety, topped with a speciality Swiss cheese - similar to a Brie.

My meal was well presented in an ovenware dish and though looked a little on the small side (for me that is), it was in fact overly filling! The restaurant has a wonderful menu - though if you’re like me and don’t speak much of anything other than English - you may need help in making your choice. There are varied Rösti’s to choose from as well as other dishes. I washed mine down with a wonderful wheat beer - Schnieder Wiesse - and though I was told that there are breweries in Basel, most of the beers on offer are of German origin.

Not too much of a hardship - I think you’ll agree!

• Beer Tasting

Krafft: Fine dining

by german_eagle Written Nov 3, 2010

entrance to the dining room

My resident friend had made a reservation (highly recommended) for this restaurant. It turned out to be very busy that Saturday night with the Basel University hospital celebrating graduation there. We had fun doing the "people watching" thing :-)

The ambience in the dining room is quite elegant. Large windows allow views of the Rhine river and the Grossbasel townscape (if it's not dark, LOL). Service was very good, quick and competent.

Favorite Dish: I had the marroni (chestnut) soup with porcino mushroom brulee - fantastic. The brulee comes in a bowl (looking like creme brulee, but salty tasting and with the mushrooms), then the waiter pours the soup into the bowl. Entree was Angus beef entrecote (medium - perfect) with wasabi (the japanese horseradish), vegetables and riso venere (black risotto). Absolutely yummy. We had mineral water and a red wine - Pinot Noir Reserva by Wegelin from Malans, Grisons, superb! - with the meal.

The check was 120 CHF per person. Quite expensive but given the quality I won't complain too loud.

• Madschick's Profile Photo

Grand Café Huguenin

by Madschick Written Mar 2, 2004

Grand Caf�� Huguenin

To tell you the truth -

I have never been inside, but I always pass by this café, when I go to sit on "my steps" right next to this place. I think those tables outside look very inviting and so does the website. You might want to give it a try!

• aleena_81's Profile Photo

Papa Joe's: American restaurant & caribbean cocktail bar

by aleena_81 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Eating at Papa joe's is a special event. The ambience is fantastic, theres always nice sound and the food is delicious!
    Don't forget to do a reservation! It's always full house there!
    There's also a casino in the same building!

Favorite Dish: Migthy mike's, Cheesburg(l)er and chocolate fondue! :-)

• Casino and Gambling

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Hot 'n' Spicy: Kebabs and pizzas!

Hot 'n' Spicy, Basel

I ate at Hot 'n' Spicy one afternoon during a visit to Basel in April 2007.

This unpretentious fast food joint is located on Kohlenberg, just off Barfusserplatz, opposite a branch of McDonalds on the edge of the Alt Stadt.

There are a handful of tables outside and a few more inside. With it being a nice Spring day, I sat outside and watched the world go by on bustling Barfusserplatz.

The menu consists of a choice of pizzas (including margherita, ham and pineapple, mushroom and a unique "kebab pizza"), sandwiches, kebabs, french fries and a number of special meal deals (including a meal, a side dish and a drink).

I placed my order and sat at a table. After about 15 minutes, I started to look inside the restaurant to see if my food was coming. After a further 15 minutes, it was becoming quite evident that my food wasn't coming. I went back to the counter and asked if my meal was nearly ready and found that they had lost my order. I reordered and a few minutes later I was brought the wrong meal. The service was terrible, but at least they were very apologetic for their errors.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Kebab meal - Cost: 10.90 CHF

A large folded pitta bread, stuffed full of very tasty and very well cooked kebab meat, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, tomato, onions and lettuce. Served with a small dish of undercooked french fries and a 500ml bottle of Coca Cola.

Good food, poor service. I can highly recommend the kebabs...when they eventually arrive!

Bajwa Palace: Indian food on Elisabethenstrasse

Bajwa Palace Indian restaurant, Basel

I ate at Bajwa Palace one evening during a visit to Basel in April 2007.

This small Indian restaurant, which could easily go un-noticed with its rather bleak and bland facade, is located on Elisabethenstrasse, about halfway between the Swiss/French railway station and the Alt Stadt. The restaurant is a 5-10 minutes walk from both of these.

The interior is quite cosy and intimate, in contrast to its rather scruffy exterior. The tables are well set and candlelit, and the walls of the dining room are decorated with photos of Indian temples and palaces.

The menu offers a very extensive choice of curries (eg Rogan Josh, Jalfrezi, Tikka Masala, Vindaloo...), containing chicken, lamb, pork, seafood or, for vegetarians, vegetables.

As well as curries, which dominate the menu, there is a decent selection of dishes to accompany your main meal. These include samosas, pakoras, rice dishes, poppadums and nan breads.

The drinks menu includes soft drinks, beers (bottled and draught), wines, an extensive (and very expensive) list of spirits and coffee and tea.

Desserts include Indian ice cream and doughnuts.

Meals are served in metal bowls on candlelit tripods. While this ensures that your meal remains hot, it also means that the dishes become very hot and can lead to burnt fingers as you attempt to transfer the food from the dishes to your plate.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Poppadum with chutney - Cost: complimentary

A large poppadum served with a bowl of mango chutney.

Vegetable samosas - Cost: 8 CHF

Two samosas with a flaky exterior and a piping hot filling of spicy vegetables. Served with sour cream and a tangy brown sauce.

Chicken Jalfrezi with rice - Cost: 26.50 CHF

A bowl of tasty chicken curry with good quality chicken, peppers and onions. I opted for "medium" as opposed to "spicy" when the waiter asked me, but it was still hot enough.

Kingfisher beer (330ml bottle) - Cost: 5 CHF

Good quality Indian food and lots of choice. Fairly expensive. Recommended if you're not on a tight budget.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Blasitorli: A beer off the beaten track

Blasitorli restaurant, Basel

On a warm and sunny Spring day in April 2007, most of the outdoor tables at the cafes and restaurants in Basel's Alt Stadt were full. I therefore had to venture a little way off the beaten track to find somewhere with outdoor seating where I could enjoy a cold beer.

I headed north along Mittlere Brucke (the arched bridge that crosses the Rhine river), along the busy shopping street of Greifengasse and then left along the quiet residential street of Untere Rebgasse.

After a few minutes walking along the latter street I spotted the bright red and yellow sign of Blasitorli restaurant. I could see that the outdoor courtyard was almost empty, so I ventured in and took a table.

I enquired as to whether food was served, but was told that food is not served until after 6pm. As it was early afternoon, I decided I'd just order a beer and go elsewhere for a meal later in the day.

I ordered a 500ml draught Warteck lager (Cost: 5.20 CHF) and sat studying my city map and planning the rest of my afternoon while soaking up a bit of sun in the peaceful courtyard.

Nothing special, but a nice place to escape the crowds for a quiet outdoor drink.

Instant Answers: Basel

Comments

Basel Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Basel restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Basel sightseeing.