Altes Tramdepot, Bern

Altes Tramdepot next to the old bear pit
    by slothtraveller
    Altes Tramdepot
    by Kathrin_E
    View of the old town from the terrace
    by Kathrin_E
  • slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Al fresco Swiss dining!

by slothtraveller Written May 13, 2013

Altes Tramdepot next to the old bear pit

I visited Altes Tramdepot on a very busy, sunny day and the outdoor dining area was full. Many of the groups who arrived at the time I did were asked to book a table for later in the evening. As I was alone, the waitress offered me a seat at a reserved table and said that a group would be arriving to share the table in a few minutes. As I was hungry, I decided that I would put aside my worries about communal dining and settled down to scan the menu.
    I ordered my meal and a beer (I believe they brew their own beer here) and enjoyed the lovely views across the River Aare to the city.
    My waiter had fairly good English and although the restaurant was very busy, I was served promptly. I enjoyed my meal at this restaurant and by Swiss standards, it was quite good value for money. I was quite pleased as I had eaten my whole meal and was just finishing my beer when a group of lads arrived and settled down at the table (40 minutes late!) and ordered three beers each! This was my cue to make pay my bill and make a move. I think if the party of lads had arrived on time, my meal wouldn't have been quite so comfortable. Nevertheless, I would eat here again. I'm just not sure about sharing a table with strangers! :D

Favorite Dish: For my main course, I ordered the pork schnitzel which came in a mushroom sauce. The pork was a little pink although it didn't bother me and was quite tasty. It was served with some perfectly cooked pasta and the portion size was ample. As you pay a lot for your food in Switzerland, I took my time and ate the whole plate. Got to get your money's worth!
    I ordered a light beer (helles Bier) with my meal. It was very refreshing and a nice accompaniment to the meal.

• Beer Tasting

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Lunch with a View

by Kathrin_E Written Jun 12, 2009

Altes Tramdepot, terrace (April 2009)

The former tram garage at Großer Muristalden has been turned into a restaurant which is good and, in terms of Swiss price levels, affordable. The restaurant is big enough to cater for large groups.

The nicest place to sit, weather permitting, is the outdoor terrace high above the Aare gorge. This is one of the best views of the old town. At the moment the terrace overlooks the construction site of the new bear park so there is an ugly fence, on weekdays also some noise. When the works are finished you will be able to watch the bears from the terrace.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember the exact denomination of my dish - it was a fish fillet on risotto with wirsing cabbage and an excellent sauce.

• Photography
    • Architecture

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Swiss food near the tourist office

by Dabs Written Sep 12, 2007

Favorite Dish: I ordered the spatzle with bacon and cheese which was good. David ordered Schweinbratwurst, sausage which came with a side order of rosti (hash browns) in a gravy/wine sauce.

Total was 47CHF with 1 drink each

• ampcarlos's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Next to the Bear Pits

by ampcarlos Written May 4, 2007

You should make a reservation. We were lucky and were able to share a table with another couple because we didn't have a reservation. We went on a Saturday evening and it was packed. We ate out on the terrace which was nice, but a little chilly. I ordered fish in a saffron sauce and my husband ordered a stirfry. My dish was delicious, but my husband's was okay, it was soggy. We did have to wait a very, very long time for our dishes to arrive (the other couple as well, but even longer). They frequent this place and said it was unusual because they are usually very good and prompt. Must have been an off night for the kitchen. We were offered free espresso as a compensation for the poor service.

• monaco05's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Must Try If You Love Beer

by monaco05 Written Nov 15, 2005

I was totally dreading going to the restaurant because I didn't want to see the bears in the Bear Pits. But my friend, whose wedding I was attending in Bern, was having a pre-wedding dinner there so I had no choice... Fortunately, the bears were either hibernating or sleeping that day, so I didn't have to see the poor things in the very miserable enclosure that they live in.

The restaurant was already starting to fill up when we got there at 7 plus. But as we had a big group of people, my friend had made reservations so we had the back area to ourselves.

Food-wise, I had caeser salad for a starter and for my main course, i had sausages and rosti - one of the most famous Swiss dishes, and I also happen to LOVE sausages :) didn't try the beer but everyone was raving about how good it was.

I must give credit to the waitress who took care of our group of 30. I'm pretty sure her patience was severly tested by us, but she still provided us with excellent service. Wish I remember her name...

All in all, this is a great place for a meal. Lots of young people hang out here - by the time we left, the place was really crowded and noisy. Food was pretty decent too, and service is definitely good.

• Altes Tramdepot: Must Try If You Love Beer

by monaco13 Written Nov 15, 2005

• Carino's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Nice beer!

by Carino Written Aug 6, 2004

Own brewed beer!

The Restaurant Altes Tramdepot is right next to the Bear Pit. The Location is awesome as you have a great view over the Aare and the City.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Bauernrösti which wasn't that good. It had to much onions on it. Weird taste.

The best thing I had was the Beer-Sample. The Restaurant brews its own beer and you can try 2dl of each beer for just 10 bucks. GREAT! Give it a try!

• mabu's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Altes Tramdepot

by mabu Updated Jul 9, 2003

Rest. Altes Tramdepot

As the name says, the place was originaly a tram depot. But this was a long time ago (there aren't even any tram tracks going that way now!).

The building was renovated a few years ago and the restaurant was built in. There is also some tourist information in the enterance hall to the Restaurant.

You get a nice view over town if you can get a window table or in summer when sitting outisde. If you want to be sure to get one of these "good" tables you need to make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: The beer!

This place brew's its own beer, you can watch the process in the restaurant. There are allways 4 different beers. The "Tram-Helles" a lager type beer, "Märzen-Bier" a darker beer, "Weizenbier" and one special beer wich changes every month.

My favorites are the "Märzenbier" and "Weizenbier"

Don't only taste the beer, you get excelent food too! The classics are spare ribs and the salads.

• Beer Tasting

• Altes Tramdepot: Altes Tramdepot

by ericchen Updated Aug 26, 2002

The only brewery restaurant in Bern with good atmosphere. Lots of young people hang out there.

Favorite Dish: Local Swiss dishes & brewery samples

• nessie-ch's Profile Photo

Altes Tramdepot: Altes Tramdepot

by nessie-ch Updated Aug 24, 2002

It's probably the most touristic place of Berne, because it's near the Bearpit, but in Summertime there is such a nice view from it's terrace.

Favorite Dish: Beer:-) it's made there....
    Food is okay.

Instant Answers: Bern

Comments

Hotels Near Altes Tramdepot
29 Opinions