Grindelwald Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Grindelwald

• besbel's Profile Photo

People in Grindelwald

by besbel Updated Jan 7, 2007

I prefer to think that I was bad-lucked that day. But we had some trouble to get along with some people at Grindelwald, and it never happened to me before in neither any othre Swiss city nor in any other in the world :(

As Latin Americans, you know that we like to talk fast and laugh while talking...but in the two restaurants where we ate the garçons told us in German to not to laugh, because people could think that we are crazy!! And we were not laughing loudly as madcows, it was just a natural and simple laugh. I think that the people in the restaurants were also intimidated by the fact that we were outgoing, while Grindelwald habitants are rather quiet and calmed...

Another fact that we did not like was that none of us spoke German, so trying to communicate with them was truly a problem. They understood our English and our French, but they replied all in German, despite our petition. A lovable Spanish tourist had to help us while doing our shopping!

Unique Suggestions: Especially for you Latin Americans: be natural, but not loud :P Having some basic knowledge of German will be definitely a must!

• Restaurants-not very good!!

by bootsyjam Written Aug 28, 2006

They are all pretty expensive in Grindlewald (38 Swiss francs for small steak and some chips at Hotel Eiger restaurant downstairs), and pretty damn average food.
    I have posteda review for Tom's cabin pizza, this is a GREAT pizza joint in the middle of the Alps. If I were you, I would go self catering-supermarkets have good food-easy to make a great dinner with local cheeses/meats etc.

Unique Suggestions: Any of the restaurants on the hiking trails/ski slopes do great Rosti (fried potatoes with egg/bacon etc), goulash soup, bratwurst with rosti etc etc. This is the best food, only about 15-17 swiss francs, is seriously good, and is local food so you're experiencing the culture too. The best restaurant meals you will get for sure.
    Also, on the way to Jungfraugoch (the glacier), you have to stop at Kleiner Schydegg (spelling!??) train station halfway up. There are restaurants here, and the best one for me was the one at the very end, serving sausage and sauerkraut with potatoes from a massive pan, or fresh bratwurst with rosti with mustard or ketchup. Glorious.
    And right next to it, there is a stand that serves a big wedge of apple something-have it with whipped cream-if that doesn't fill the gap then nothing will.

Fun Alternatives: I have posted a review for Tom's cabin pizza, this is a GREAT pizza joint in the middle of Grindlewald. If I were you, I would go self catering-supermarkets have good food-easy to make a great dinner with local cheeses/meats etc.

• cjohnson99's Profile Photo

It's a Tourist Trap but you have to go!

by cjohnson99 Written Nov 26, 2002

Well of course Grindelwald will be full of tourists but the idea is to use the village as a start point from where there is no limit to the delights and you will soon be alone ....

Unique Suggestions: Just go on from Grindelwald to ...
    Kleine Sheidegg or First (to Bachalpsee) or Mannlichen or ..
    rent one of the superb chalets available on the valley side and just sit or stand on the terrace or balcony and enjoy the view - make sure you get a South facing view (towards North face of the Eiger)

Fun Alternatives: Not far away - all the meadows and hills around Grindelwald

Instant Answers: Grindelwald

Comments

Grindelwald Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Grindelwald tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grindelwald sightseeing.