Interlaken Shopping

I'll Have One of Those and two of these...
    by riorich55
  • Shopping
    by riorich55
  • Shopping
    by Manara

Best Rated Shopping in Interlaken

Kirchofer: Much more than the Swiss Army knife

by Manara Updated Aug 17, 2010

Victorinox is the company that invented and launched the original Swiss Army Knife. With its innumerable versions, some of which include also a USB memory stick, some 150 later this company is still going strong and has diversified its production to include travel bags and sportswear. However Victorinox has never put aside its original activity of manufacturers of knives, and its kitchen tools are still among the most reputable in the world.
    More than one shop sell Victorinox cutlerty in Interlaken, anyway I did my shopping at Kirchofer. As many other shops in this town, Kirchofer has a big display of souvenirs in its shop-window and in the area near the entrance, but if you enter the shop you will find also the items for “serious shopping”, the cutlery shelves are on the left-hand side of the shop.
    I don’t want to give the impression of being a cook of professional level, because I am certainly not, so please be informed that I bought that knife as a gift for someone who actually is a very good cook.

What to buy: In my picture you can see the purchases I made during my last stay in Interlaken. There are a chef’s knife, a potato peeler, a tool to carve little balls from potatoes or other vegetables and fruits, and a special peeler for tomatoes and peppers.

What to pay: The cheapest item was the potato-peeler: 2.50 Swiss francs. The chef’s knife costs 110 Swiss francs, because it is one from the” Professional line”, there are other very good knives of about the same size that cost much less.

• leena77's Profile Photo

Interlaken [West]: Cheap Shopping!!

by leena77 Updated Jul 13, 2006

Interlaken[West] shopping area

Interlaken[West] is very good for shopping.Near station you can buy so many things.Kokoo clocks,cow bells,posters,cards,chocolates,key-chains,jwellery,watches...etc! I thought,Switzerland would be very expenssive.But I found,it's affordable.You can get Kokoo wall clock only for 35-40 Francs.Size is a bit small.but it's ok! Cow bells rage from 3 to 20 Francs.Key chains,chocolates range from 3 to 15 Francs. Calenders,Posters cost 5 to 10 Francs. Food stuffs are also in a affordable price. There are 2 groccery stores on main road.One can buy quality food stuff there. Enjoy your shopping in Interlaken,it's worth!!

What to buy: Market area near Interlaken [West] station.

• Trains

Wunderli La Bijouterie: Watches in all price ranges

by Manara Updated Aug 17, 2010

Lots of shops sell watches in Interlaken, even those that are not specialized in this kind of trade. I wanted to buy a not expensive watch as a gift, but I preferred to buy it from a real watch-seller, so after having a look at some shop-windows I found that Wunderli was displaying something of the kind I had in mind.
    This shop has watches of fashionable brands such as D&G and Armani, but also the cheaper Swatch watches. I liked so much the one I bought to give, that I bought also one for myself, in a different colour.

What to buy: Swatches were all the hype in the late '80s, when lots of people, especially kids, collected them. In the following years this brand's production became more varied with respect to the original plastic watches, and some of them are really stylish.
    The ones I have bought and you can see in the picture are a new extra-flat model and are super-lightweight, great for summer. They come with a two-year guarantee.

What to pay: These ones cost around 110 Swiss francs, but I have seen other models in the range of 80 francs.

• Manara's Profile Photo

Migros: What is more alpine than an edelweiss?

by Manara Updated Aug 10, 2010

What to buy: If you are travelling by car (it would a bit difficult to pack it if you have to fly) I cannot imagine a best souvenir to bring back home than a pot of edelweiss.
    Wild ones cannot be touched, in order to preserve them, but luckily you can buy them in florists' shops. When I first posted this tip I had noticed these flowers only at Migros, but during my most recent visit I have seen them also at the Coop supermarket.

• Migros Interlaken West: Interlaken West shopping centre

by KBrynda Written Jan 19, 2006

The Migros shopping centre in Interlaken West provides a good place to buy food at fairly low prices. It is a good place to go shopping for people travelling by train, as it is located very close to the Interlaken West train station.

What to buy: The Migros shopping centre at Interlaken West offers a great variety of food products. I recommend stopping by the chocolate aisle and buying some Frey chocolate - it tastes really good!

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Wooden Toy Shop: Swiss Made Wooden Toys

by riorich55 Written May 21, 2009

The previous day we were walking through the Village of Murren above the Lauterbrunnen Valley and we noticed children riding a very cool looking wooden tricycle with an attached wagon. Sue commented that she would have loved to have something like that for our kids when they were growing up. And then later that night she commented that we should have taken a picture in case we wanted a future grandchild to have one.

The next day browsing and window shopping in Interlaken, Sue saw the tricycle in a store and so we stopped and took a picture. Don't know what store it was and couldn't find the name on a simple Google search, but at least we know what it looked like for a potential future purchase.

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo

Gifts, Souveniers, Watches, Swiss Crafts: Shopping Mecca of the Jungfrau region

by Rhondaj Written Jan 17, 2005

A quiet oasis in the midst of shops & hotels

Hoeheweg and Interlaken in general is full of hotels and shops. More than any other area of the Jungfrau region we visited. Prices were a bit cheaper here too, than for the same items in the smaller villages.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Interlaken Shopping: Bring Your Money!

by Jmill42 Updated Mar 10, 2004

Need a Cowbell for Your Cow??

This is not about a specific shop or store, it is about shopping in Interlaken, in general. First, everything is expensive. A McDonalds meal is 13 CHF!! I saw fondue for 40 CHF! But, you should take home some souvenirs for the family or yourself, and the best place to do that is along the main road from the Interlaken West train station. As you walk into town, there are numerous shops and restaurants. The stores sell everything from postcards to cowbells to chocolate. I recommend that you get at least two of those. I leave it up to you to decide which two!

Additionally, there are many clothes stores here, but they are more "high end". I suggest you buy sweaters and things like that at one of the hostels, or in the supermarket area directly across from Interlaken West. The supermarket has a large grocery store and a good sports apparel store, amongst others. You get a much better bargain here than along the road, but not the selection.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Läderach: Mmmm - Chocolate!!

by riorich55 Updated May 21, 2009

I'll Have One of Those and two of these . . .

For fans or even if you are not a fan of Homer Simpson, many of you have heard his love of doughnuts and might even hear him explain Mmmm- Doughnuts!! Well except for the doughnuts part when it comes to having a good piece of chocolate I have been know to go around uttering Mmmm - Chocolate!! And as long as I keep that craving the fitness center has a steady customer.

Läderach's has been in business since 1962. What makes them stand out in my mind is a quote from their website as follows: "In a bid to simplify the chocolate-maker’s craft for his fellow confectioners the passionate chocolatier Rudolf Läderach invented the hollow truffle shell. This semi-finished product vastly improved the quality of truffles and simplified the manufacturing process, much to the delight of his colleagues in the trade."

And from what I remember of the boxes we bought here and at several other chocolate shops in Bern and Lucerne was the pure delight as you first bite in to and savor that little bit of heaven on earth.

What to buy: Chocolate, More chocolate and yet some more chocolate.

What to pay: Its Priceless

• Spa and Resort

• Swiss Watches!

My Watch

What to buy: Since it was my birthday while I was in Interlaken, my parents agreed to buy me a Swiss watch!! Isn't that awesome? So I got to pick out a Swiss watch from a store in Interlaken, and I still wear it today! It's so cool. I'm very proud that I can say that it came from Switzerland.

• Another Swiss Watch!

Pocket Watch

What to buy: Also, since my brother's birthday was only a week and a half away, my parents also offered to buy him a watch. He liked this Swiss pocket watch. It's pretty neat too. It has an alpenhorn guy, the flag, and beautiful mountains. Cool, eh?

• barbskie's Profile Photo

Everywhere Shops: Souvenirs, souvenirs & souvenirs

by barbskie Written May 18, 2005

typical souvenirs

What to buy: A large variety of Victorinox products.......isn't it special purchasing a knife for presents with engraving or just have one of your own? Also a common activity even by the locals.

What to pay: The cheapest i know is only 14 CHF with free engraving.

• royalempress's Profile Photo

A great place to buy a Cuckoo-Clock

by royalempress Written Feb 4, 2005

We bought a cuckoo-clock here and enjoy listining to it here at home. They gave us a nice bag that we carried it on the plane in.
    The clock was made in Switzerland and in working parts in the Black Forest.

What to pay: $400.00 for a medium grade clock

• Architecture

• SailorRoar's Profile Photo

The local hardware store: Pick up some quality kitchen knifes

by SailorRoar Written Dec 14, 2006

I went through all the souvernir shops looking for a couple of kitchen knifes with flexible blade, none of them had it, but a service minded lady in one of the shops reckomended the local hardware store, after I rulled out the possibility of her ordering the stuff I wanted (since I was only in town for one day). The range was the best I have ever seen, and the prices where a lot cheaper than at home, and not to mention the souvernirshops of Interlaken ;)

What to buy: Victorinox knifes, kitchen range and the famous Swiss Army knife which apparently exists in a huge range from credit card format to USB memorysticks to the old classic.

What to pay: Less than normal ;)

• Chocolate!!

Lindt Chocolate Bar

What to buy: You're in Switzerland... chocolate is a no-brainer! Much better than American chocolate, in my mind. We tried all sorts of chocolates, and brought back a couple pounds of it!!

Instant Answers: Interlaken

Comments

Interlaken Shopping

Reviews and photos of Interlaken shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Interlaken sightseeing.