Hang Gliding, Interlaken

5 out of 5 stars 5 Stars - 6 Reviews

• Interlaken post Hang Gliding

by Enooh Updated Sep 13, 2010

After Hang gliding, bernie and Ed will probably recommend you to go to Art Pizza.
    But heck, why wait for them to recommend it?? Just go check it out yourself! They serve the cheapest pizza in town, and it is no exaggeration. 10 SF for a large pizza, which those with small appetities may even find too big to handle. Their pizzas are freshly baked and the staff are a friendly bunch. I had my pizza after hang gliding, and well there is a little reason why one should eat there after hang gliding and I will leave it to the Hang gliding guys to explain why. It's got to do with a special unlisted item on the menu. I had that along with another regular pizza with artichokes, it was a hearty meal which didnt burn a hole in my pocket. Hardly believable if you actually been to Switzerland and know what the food prices are like, but believe me.

If you are interested, it's at Unterseen. Or just ask the hang gliding guys how to find it.

• HANG GLIDING - enough said

by Enooh Written Sep 3, 2010

If you are well-travelled and have seen the grandeur of natural landforms and the beauty of architecture in other parts of the world (such as Jiu Zai Gou in China and the Prague Castle), then all I can say is, ditch all your ideas of visiting the lakes and the castles or historical sites at Interlaken. The one thing that you must try however is hang gliding (if you have not tried anything like it before). Paragliding is heavily marketed in Interlaken, but believe me, Hang gliding is the real deal. There are ppl who have tried both and most of them preferred hang gliding. Why? 1) hang gliding gives you the sensation of true flying, cos you are "lying down" instead of sitting up like in Paragliding. 2) hang gliding is enjoyable in most weather conditions, while the paragliders have it difficult even in normal windy conditions. (I witnessed a tandem paraglider not being able to take off when I took off perfectly while doing tandem hang gliding).

To be fair, lake Thun and Lake Brienz are nice, and certainly the Jungfrau mountains are a Unesco site for a reason. But in hang gliding, you get a bird's eye view of EVERYTHING! so unless you really want to physically be on the Jungfrau or the lakes, there is no compelling reason why you would need to choose them over hang gliding. of course, if you have the luxury of time, go ahead and do everything. In short, hang gliding is a must-do at Interlaken. (A 70 yr old man did it just before I flew; granted, he was a bit of a daredevil, but that shows it almost physically possible for all ages). It's time to fly, people!

• mangodurango's Profile Photo

HANG GLIDING INTERLAKEN - Fly Like a Bird

by mangodurango Updated Apr 2, 2008

I went to Interlaken summer 2007 and wanted 2 do a flying activity so I checked out all 3 options & this is what I found- Skydiving looked good but the price was not so hot, at about 580Sfr incl. video I decided 2 do this back at home for cheaper. Paragliding was 150Sfr and Hang Gliding 185Sfr so I watched both from the landing field to see the difference.
    The flying position and the stunts are the biggest difference. With Paragliding it kinda looked like you are cruzing through the air in a chair. I wanted something a little more exciting.
    For Hang Gliding you are laying down in a superman man like position and you fly through the air fast. It looked much more exciting so this is what I did... I called Hang Gliding Interlaken. they were friendly, spoke English and I booked it in!
    The next day they picked me up and took me up the mountain! My pilot made me feel comfortable and let me help him set up the glider. As we did this I saw a few Paragliders take off. The adrenalin set in.
    It was our turn to take off. We did a practice run and my pilot gave me a short briefing which is all I needed....It was basicaly RUN, HOLD ON and GET READY TO FLY LIKE A BIRD!
    He gave me the command & we started running down the hill. I ran about 4 steps then we where flying!!! Right away I knew I had made the right choice!
    The feeling was AMAZING... After flying around the Alps for about 15min he asked if I wanted to do some tricks...my answer "Heck YA!!" WE did stalls, dives and what he called "wingovers", AMAZING!! We did a few more tricks then he said that we were getting ready to land and to just hold on and relax! The landing was fast yet very smooth. I can honestly say that this was the coolest experience of my life! For about 20 min I was trully a bird. I would suggest this to EVERYONE! It was just awesome! Make sure you go with HANG GLIDING INTERLAKEN. They are cool people and really showed me a good time! (they are the only specialized Tandem Hang Gliding Company in town) and also offer DVD's or digital photos!

• Sky Diving
    • Hang Gliding

• Hang Gliding: Fly over the swiss alps like a bird!

by hipchix Written Apr 21, 2007

I went hang gliding in Interlaken, Switzerland!
    It was by far the coolest thing I have done.
    It was very easy for me being a first timer. My pilot was so nice he told me what I had to do. Wich was a short run down a grassy hill and then we were flying! I really felt like a bird soaring over beautiful Interlaken.
    I suggest this to any one who has ever wanted to fly like a bird!
    The name of the company I went with was called Hang Gliding Interlaken I think. I found them on the web.
    Do fun stuff! hipchix

• Study Abroad
    • Adventure Travel

• lthornton11's Profile Photo

Hang Glide!

by lthornton11 Written May 11, 2005

To this day, this is one of the best things I've ever done! I get nervous at heights, too, so this was quite a step for me!

When I made the decision to hang glide, you book a trip with a local company (they are everywhere in Interlaken). They will take you and the gear up a hill where you take off. You go in tandem with an experienced hang-glider.

The most nerveracking part is having the wings strapped to you and running down the hill to catch the wind, and then taking off like an airplane.

I thought my stomach was going to lose it for a little while, but that passed and I was able to really enjoy the experience. It is the most beautiful view in the world! If you're really adventurous, your tandem partner may do some acrobatics.

If you're ever going to hang-glide in your life, do it in the Swiss Alps! There is even a camera mounted to the wing so you can get a photo of yourself in the air.

It's a little pricey (around $190), but worth every penny.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Paragliding / Hang-gliding

by Jmill42 Updated Mar 25, 2004

Preparing For Launch!!

My favorite activity done in Interlaken was paragliding. I chose this, because I have skydived before and it was cheaper than hang-gliding. It turned out to be the exhilirating event I thought it would be. You are taken to a nearby mountain and dropped off at this long green slope. You are strapped in with your "driver" and you are instructed to run straight at the drop in front of you! Before you reach the drop (hopefully, anyway) you take off, gliding into the air. Depending on the weather conditions, you can spend anywhere from 20-40 minutes in the air, over the beautiful city of Interlaken. The driver will normally ask you whether or not you would like to do some crazier manuevers on the way down. I, of course, said go for everything you can possibly do. Spirals, reverses, and a near-cow landing rounded up my day in the sky! Wonderful.

Instant Answers: Interlaken

Comments

Hotels Near Hang Gliding
4.5 out of 5 stars